Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Shy

Question about time off.

Hi everyone I hope you are all enjoying the day, I'm looking for some advice on a situation that has come up in my day home.
    At the beginning of January one of my Moms had told me her 2 girls won't be here on the 12 & 13th of February because they are going away, they are full time and pay my full time rate regardless if they miss days or not UNLESS I take time off then they don't. My other day home boy is also going to be gone with Dad those days so I made plans to help out at my daughters school one day and then go out of town the next day. Well yesterday she texted me saying she's not taking that time off anymore and needs the girls to come...
    I explained to her that I have already made plans and can't take the girls those days (dad is home the one day anyways)
    So now my question is will I have to deduct 2 days from Februarys pay even tho she booked it off weeks ago?
    Any advice would be great, in my 5 years of running a day home I have never had this come up.
    Thanks everyone

Euphoric !
    Yes, you will have to deduct those days IMO. She is paying for the spot and it needs to be available to her. It is no longer available to her so you will need to refund that money. Or you could cancel your plans.

My first 2 Christmases were like this. I was closed for the whole week as no one was booked in but because I charged for those days, I had to be available if someone decided they needed/wanted care. I did inform them that I'd need 2 days notice though because I would be out of town and staying out of town if no one came. Thankfully no one needed care!

If they are paying for the spot, the option to come needs to be available.

Euphoric !
    Unfortunately I agree that you need to refund the money for those 2 days if you cannot change your plans. They are paying for you to be available. If they no longer need to be away and you are not available then I don't think you should be charging them. This is only because they have given you notice. Now if they did this the day before I would say no and still charge them.

Euphoric !
    It would suck if they only gave 1 day notice but I think money would still need to be refunded if you choose to say no to them.

What would happen if they gave no notice and showed up thinking you were open?

Expansive...
    Yes, I agree that they should not have to pay that money anymore as they gave you sufficient notice that they did not need that time off anymore and so now it is you that is no longer available, you know? Stinks, but it's fair.