Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by AmandaKDT View Post
    All those other employed women ARE paying for EI themselves, it is just that their employer is automatically taking that money off their paycheck. But yes, I feel your stress. Being unable to be fully employed until the end when you don't qualify for sick leave EI makes things very hard financially.
    The women pay it, they just don't see the money as their employer deducts it form their pay first. As well, the employer has to pay a portion as well...which means that the women make less...because any company would take this into consideration when they choose how much they pay - they have a set amount they can afford then they see how much they will be responsible for paying and give the wages to reflect this.

The only difference is that as a self employed person you SEE and HOLD the money first then pay it...for employees they just get the left overs as their pay check! It's kind of like paying for something in cash versus debit/credit. If you just charge it you don't see/feel the impact as much as having to count out and hand over the cash! In the end it costs both the same (unless you charge it and don't pay before interest lol).

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee-Bee View Post
    The women pay it, they just don't see the money as their employer deducts it form their pay first. As well, the employer has to pay a portion as well...which means that the women make less...because any company would take this into consideration when they choose how much they pay - they have a set amount they can afford then they see how much they will be responsible for paying and give the wages to reflect this.

The only difference is that as a self employed person you SEE and HOLD the money first then pay it...for employees they just get the left overs as their pay check! It's kind of like paying for something in cash versus debit/credit. If you just charge it you don't see/feel the impact as much as having to count out and hand over the cash! In the end it costs both the same (unless you charge it and don't pay before interest lol).
    Which is exactly why I pretend the money I receive from one daycare spot doesn't exist - it goes directly into my savings account to use for paying my income taxes and such.

Shy
    All those other employed women ARE paying for EI themselves, it is just that their employer is automatically taking that money off their paycheck. But yes, I feel your stress. Being unable to be fully employed until the end when you don't qualify for sick leave EI makes things very hard financially.
    Yes for sure. What I meant is that we have to do it ourselves...like go online and register for it and then wait a year to make a claim. Not a big deal but had I not thought ahead about this and just gotten pregnant, which I'm sure happens a lot, I'd have no EI at all...my timing just happened to work out well for my due date and when I registered for EI last year. It just doesn't seem fair for self employed women though.

Shy
    Which is exactly why I pretend the money I receive from one daycare spot doesn't exist - it goes directly into my savings account to use for paying my income taxes and such.
    I do the same but I just didn't account for a whole 2 months off work before my maternity leave...so those savings will be partly going towards that time now. Booo!!!

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by LizzyGrant View Post
    Yes for sure. What I meant is that we have to do it ourselves...like go online and register for it and then wait a year to make a claim. Not a big deal but had I not thought ahead about this and just gotten pregnant, which I'm sure happens a lot, I'd have no EI at all...my timing just happened to work out well for my due date and when I registered for EI last year. It just doesn't seem fair for self employed women though.
    Isn't that part of having your own business? The need to do things yourself rather than have an employer do it?

You have to apply for EI yourself. You have to write receipts yourself. You have to stock up on business supplies yourself.

I don't understand what you think is unfair for self-employed women? Self employed men also have to do this business related tasks themselves too. What were you expecting when you went self-employed?

Shy
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzie_Homemaker View Post
    Isn't that part of having your own business? The need to do things yourself rather than have an employer do it?

You have to apply for EI yourself. You have to write receipts yourself. You have to stock up on business supplies yourself.

I don't understand what you think is unfair for self-employed women? Self employed men also have to do this business related tasks themselves too. What were you expecting when you went self-employed?
    It was just me venting. Sorry to have offended you by it. What I meant is that I know of other mothers on here and in general who have been affected by getting pregnant before applying for EI or applying for it and giving birth before the one year we have to wait to make an EI claim. Which was why I specified women, not men. Because I was speaking about this in terms of getting pregnant while being self employed.