Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Shy
    I'll be emailing soon too. I just had a look on the CAS website and under 'reporting abuse' it doesn't say what qualifications you need to report so I would like to know where this judge is getting his information from. I'm in Saskatchewan, so I would like to also know if all Canadian providers need to be certified, if it's just the Toronto providers. As a childcare provider, I'd like to know what laws apply to me. Although after hearing this story I would now consider terminating a child who I suspect is being abused/neglected because the justice system doesn't seem to be on my side. I just don't want the liability which puts children more at risk. I'm sure alot of childcare providers feel this way after hearing this story. Haven't been this mad in a while lol.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to adaycarelady For This Useful Post:

Hello...so sorry to hear your news! I am new to this board and I also have a few ideas for you, but first I must ask what was it exactly that you reported to CAS? Secondly, how did the "parent/s" get your name from CAS when it is a privacy issue if they divulged that. Also what made you come to the conclusion that there was abuse/neglect (which by they way is the same thing!)

Starting to feel at home...
    Have you thought of setting up a petition with change.org?

Outgoing
    Hukuukgjuhkihi
    Last edited by Teagansmom; 03-24-2015 at 07:09 PM.

Outgoing
    Uhukhbhukbhb

Euphoric !
    What is the name of the worker so I can make my letter addressed to their attention.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to torontokids For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Igvuggyukgkhgj

Euphoric !
    Here's my letter minus the personal info. Sometimes a sample encourages others to write one (or copy and paste the relevant stuff).

To: Mr. Smith,
    I am a Social Worker and I have worked alongside The CAS throughout my career. I recently left Social Work to open a home daycare in order to have the opportunity to spend my days with my own young children. It has come to my attention that a home childcare provider has been sued and found guilty by an Ontario Court Judge after making a report of suspected neglect. This is extremely concerning to me not only as a home childcare provider but also as someone who has worked closely with children who have been abused and neglected. This case will make me hesitate before filing a report, even anonymously for fear of financial repercussions. I have a “duty to report” and it is my obligation to make this report and leave the investigation to the CAS. This judgment goes against what I was taught in school and on the job. I can’t tell you the number of times a supervisor advised me to make a report to CAS because it is safer for that child if any suspicions are investigated rather than “waiting and seeing.”
    My hope is that with The Children’s Aid Society’s support and guidance, this case will get appealed. Tammy Larabie did not do anything wrong; she was doing her job and ensuring the children in her care were safe.
    Sincerely,

Torontokids

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to torontokids For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Oukhglighliug
    Last edited by Teagansmom; 03-24-2015 at 08:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by torontokids View Post
    Here's my letter minus the personal info. Sometimes a sample encourages others to write one (or copy and paste the relevant stuff).

To: Mr. Smith,
    I am a Social Worker and I have worked alongside The CAS throughout my career. I recently left Social Work to open a home daycare in order to have the opportunity to spend my days with my own young children. It has come to my attention that a home childcare provider has been sued and found guilty by an Ontario Court Judge after making a report of suspected neglect. This is extremely concerning to me not only as a home childcare provider but also as someone who has worked closely with children who have been abused and neglected. This case will make me hesitate before filing a report, even anonymously for fear of financial repercussions. I have a “duty to report” and it is my obligation to make this report and leave the investigation to the CAS. This judgment goes against what I was taught in school and on the job. I can’t tell you the number of times a supervisor advised me to make a report to CAS because it is safer for that child if any suspicions are investigated rather than “waiting and seeing.”
    My hope is that with The Children’s Aid Society’s support and guidance, this case will get appealed. Tammy Larabie did not do anything wrong; she was doing her job and ensuring the children in her care were safe.
    Sincerely,

Torontokids
    Great letter Torontokids. I'm going to do a little research on the law and exactly what is and is not when it comes to "duty to report" and then compose a letter over the weekend. I am up to my eyeballs with my 2nd job right now and on a tight timeline by end of day tomorrow and the last thing I want to do is rush it and write it full of emotion or do a half ass job. I'm a little puzzled that a teacher commented on here about not ever being told or taught about "duty to report" yet social workers are. You'd think that teachers would be the majority who report. Regardless I'd like to have my letter be educated and fact based when I write it. I'll email a copy to you before I send it to CAS too.

Just out of curiosity, did your paralegal say why they did not call the CAS to the stand to verify whether there was due cause to report? Aren't they the ones with the legal training to make that call not a judge?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast