Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Outgoing
    Ihlbilhbhlnijnliuh
    Last edited by Teagansmom; 03-24-2015 at 07:07 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Teagansmom For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    I'm shocked and sorry to hear this! I really hope you can appeal and the CAS will help you

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Gloucestermom For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    I haven't been on these boards long, so I don't know the specifics of your situation, but I do know this:

It's not up to the person who is concerned about abuse/neglect to determine if there is in fact abuse/neglect. That's CAS's job. ANY Children's Aid Society will tell you that. If you have concerns, you call and THEY investigate.

Also, EVERYONE is a mandated reporter. If you see or are aware of abuse/neglect happening, you are obligated to report to CAS. It's not just doctors/teachers/people in power. There may be negative consequences in certain professions for not reporting, but everyone has an obligation to report.

I'm sorry this is happening to you.

Honestly, I think this needs to be picked up by the media. The potential long-range consequences to a having a precedent set that would allow concerned people to be punished for calling about a legitimate concern is so dangerous. Think about all the children who could be harmed or even worse because people are afraid to report.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flowerchild For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Buhobjhbihobikbhhkib
    Last edited by Teagansmom; 03-24-2015 at 07:08 PM.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Teagansmom For This Useful Post:

Shy
    This makes me scared to report any suspected abuse for sure! If you can't get a lawyer yet, can you represent yourself? In your appeal, ask the judge to provide you with reference as to where the information is stating you need to be certified to report any suspected abuse. When you sue the family, sue for lost income because of the closure due to emotional distress. It would be very hard to work after you were fined for just doing your job. Maybe you could just take a break for a while and reopen (just would hate to have you loose your house)? Then if you're just done with daycare for sure, make long term career changes. There are wonderful families out there. It's too bad families like this have to ruin it.
    Last edited by adaycarelady; 02-05-2015 at 09:49 AM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to adaycarelady For This Useful Post:

gvdasghjkhfgdsdfghjk lrytre
    Last edited by bright sparks; 03-25-2015 at 07:28 AM.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bright sparks For This Useful Post:

Shy
    They say it's against the law if we don't report suspected abuse, but then get fined if we do! I think you got a case here! I think we all need to call the court house asking how us childcare providers need to be 'certified' in reporting child abuse. Are we suppose to let abuse occur cuz we are only childcare providers? I have a degree in education/teachers certificate and I never have taken a course on child abuse so how are teachers 'certified' too? The media should do a story about how childcare providers are not allowed to report suspect abuse since they run a risk of being sued because they are only childcare providers. I think this is something all Canadian daycare providers need to know so we don't get sued. It doesn't matter whether a person is unlicenced or licenced, we are still providing a service for children. Spread the word on social media news sites too. Start a facebook page! I'm really mad about this, sorry if I'm rambling.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to adaycarelady For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Lbjohboibbhilubilu

Shy
    If you are concerned about a child being abused/neglected, it is reasonable grounds to contact the CAS. What if this child died due to abuse/neglect, you'd then be sued for not reporting your concerns! This judge is not making sense, he says your 'certified' to report your concerns to the family and/or doctor but not certified enough to report your concerns to the CAS?? You're either certified or not. I'd start a facebook page asap saying Toronto judge claims people must be certified to report child abuse. Then pressure will be on him when we all ask why daycare providers are not certified to make reports. I'm sure alot of people will come forward saying they have made reports before. Why are they allowed to make reports then, they are not certified according to this judge.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to adaycarelady For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Hbihuhbulihbkihb

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Teagansmom For This Useful Post:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast