Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Shy

Question (outside temperature)

Hello colleagues!
    Looking for your guidance again.
    I'm just curious if you have a certain outside temperature (including windchill) that you follow as to when you stop going outside.

I tell parents that if it is below -15 (with the windchill) I don't bring the kids out.

Thank you in advance for your input.

I'm the same -15 with or with out windchill and colder we stay in. For summer +22 plus humidex or hotter we stay in or outside for just under an hr

Expansive...
    It seems to depend where in the country you live. My policy is -25 or colder with the windchill, but it gets very cold here in Manitoba and if I made the policy -15 we wouldn't have gone outside to play since November!

I don't have an official summer temperature, if I know it is going to be really hot we go out right away in the morning instead of later in the day. Or we play in the shade, or make it a water activity day, or stay out for a shorter period of time.

I really try to go outside a much as possible, these kids are heartier than we may think they are. If they are dressed properly they can have fun in a wide range of temperatures.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to AmandaKDT For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    -20ish for winter

For summer I don't have a set temp but when the UV is high I limit our time outdoors. I know some don't but I take sun exposure pretty seriously after seeing children get heat stroke

Expansive...
    It depends on the ages of children in care. My cutoff is -12 with windchill, but I have 3 infants in care as well, so that makes a difference for keeping warm if you're not that mobile yet. We used to do -15 for the preschool room at the centre I was at, but the infants and toddlers had a cap of -10.

Shy
    I'm here in Ottawa. I only have three kids ranging from 14 mos to 19 months, two of them screams and cries as soon as they hit the ground. The weather looks promising soon so I am hoping that they will soon enjoy the outside play.

We had a mild one (-6) a week ago and the behaviour was the same, do you think I should continue to bring out the 14 mos? His scream sounds like he's being tortured. I mentioned to the parents and he does the same thing with them. I'm just worried of him being traumatize with the winter season.

Thanks..

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by BearBear View Post
    I'm here in Ottawa. I only have three kids ranging from 14 mos to 19 months, two of them screams and cries as soon as they hit the ground. The weather looks promising soon so I am hoping that they will soon enjoy the outside play.

We had a mild one (-6) a week ago and the behaviour was the same, do you think I should continue to bring out the 14 mos? His scream sounds like he's being tortured. I mentioned to the parents and he does the same thing with them. I'm just worried of him being traumatize with the winter season.

Thanks..
    A lot of times little ones aren't used to being taken outside to play in winter - parents alot of the time seem to only take them to the car and back.

I would continue taking them out, you aren't going to traumatized him. Kids can be like that, he probably doesn't like being in his snow suit and thinks he can't move. Is it possible to, maybe, take them for a little wagon ride instead?

Outgoing
    I had a 1yo once who screamed the minute we walked out the door till the minute we walked in every day from Nov till Apr. Why? Who knows? She got over it and I wouldn't have even considered not taking them out. I have one neighbor who just shakes his head every time I talk to him. "How can you do it?!?"

A couple of years ago, I had a boy who's b-day is in March. The winter when he was turning 1, he wasn't walking. The winter he was turning 2, for the first three weeks with snow, when he would walk on the snow, it was like he was trying to walk in glue. He was SO freaked out by it. I've never seen anything like it. Crying like the snow was attacking him or something. He got over it.
    Last edited by kindertime; 03-06-2015 at 06:28 PM.

Euphoric !
    We go outside until it's -20 temp or windchill. That being said I have gone out when it is that temp just depending on wind/sun etc. sometimes it doesn't feel that bad. I go out no matter what my age group is or if they like snow. You want to scream - go ahead! Lol. They get used to being outside. In summer we go out no matter what the temp. If it's too hot we just get out the pool, put it in the shade. It was -15 this morning when we went out. First time in weeks. Oh we loved it!! We spent 40 minutes out there this morning.

We love outdoors and we go out as much as we can.

Starting to feel at home...
    -20 here too , but depends on how cold it feels really too, some days I swear it feels way colder than my weather app says!

I have a little one that hates the cold/ snow too, last years (at 1 yr she cried the entire time) this time she cries if she has to walk in it or it touches her.