Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Hi. I can say from both sides, caring and parenting, I always ask the parent, or always in turn tell the care giver if my child has eaten enough to last till the next snack/meal. No matter the age or ability to know the difference the child should be directed by an adult to ensure proper nutrition. Perhaps just flat out ask on their next drop off, has your child been fed yet..? Good luck

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to adorable ages For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I'm pretty direct about things. They know if they're not here by xx time then they need to come fed. If the parent arrived during snack and told me "so and so didn't eat much at breakfast" I would give the kid something quick like a banana but not take out everything again.

My rule is that is your not here you miss out..... This goes for snacks, activities and crafts. I've been asked by parents if I can provide craft materials to go, and to that they get "We did x activity, you can purchase the materials at x store".
    While I agree that children shouldn't miss out because parents are late, I also agree with the idea that if you want you child to be included then you need to get them here on time. Why is it fair to the rest of the group to have to sit at the table for and extra 15 minutes when they are done so said child can catch up?

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by 33 Daiseys View Post
    My rule is that is your not here you miss out..... This goes for snacks, activities and crafts. I've been asked by parents if I can provide craft materials to go, and to that they get "We did x activity, you can purchase the materials at x store".
    While I agree that children shouldn't miss out because parents are late, I also agree with the idea that if you want you child to be included then you need to get them here on time. Why is it fair to the rest of the group to have to sit at the table for and extra 15 minutes when they are done so said child can catch up?
    In some situations I can see why some providers wouldn't want to extend the activity. However, here, they are allowed to leave the table when they are finished. Some activities (except eating) are more of a come and go so it's actually better if I don't have them at the table all at once anyways.

Euphoric !
    I am more like 33 Daisy's on this one. you weren't here when I started preparing snack so I didn't make any for your child. the kids are now sitting and eating and no I am not getting it all out again just because you decide to show up while the others are eating. Next time get your butt out of bed sooner in order to be here on time. I am not asking if he has eaten either. My rules are they are to eat breakfast before coming to daycare so too bad if they haven't. In all reality the child isn't going to starve not eating for a few hours.

Thanks ladies. It is interesting seeing everyone's point of views on things. I was just annoyed that day when she showed up already into snack time. I likely will do the same again next time too! It all depends what we are eating too. This was a snack that required a longer time and this boy would have taken FOREVER to eat it to start with. Life went on and he was fine by lunch (no crankier than usual) and mom dropped off this morning at her usual time (not during snack).

Starting to feel at home...
    I strongly recommend having a 'drop dead' time for drop offs. That way you don't run into this issue AND your day is more scheduled (translation...not interrupted). My daughters daycare has a drop off by 9 policy...and no pick ups during nap time 1-3pm. I never have had a problem with this and so I would think most other parents would also not find it an issue.
    Daycare Ladies! Free yourself from unreasonable parents! Unite! LOL