Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Euphoric !

What would you do - child shows up at snack time

So I have one boy that doesn't get here until 9:30 daily. It actually ranges from 9-10. I agreed to it and it isn't an issue as I just carry on with what we are doing and boy usually misses out on crafts. Today he came in shortly after the other 3 sat down to eat. I didn't go back and get anything for him and just let him play although I think mom thought I was going to get him to sit down too. My guess is he likely just finished breakfast (he has no interest in the fact that the others are eating).

Would you have pulled everything out again to make him snack?

Euphoric !
    Is the child old enough to ask if he wants snack? I'd likely ask (even an 18month old can answer) and get him some if he says he wants some. I'd offer because if he hasn't eaten since breakfast then lunch is a far time away, and I find behavior issues arise with hungry children, and i'd rather the extra work of getting snack than the extra work of a hungry, misbehaving child!!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Lee-Bee For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by mickyc View Post
    So I have one boy that doesn't get here until 9:30 daily. It actually ranges from 9-10. I agreed to it and it isn't an issue as I just carry on with what we are doing and boy usually misses out on crafts. Today he came in shortly after the other 3 sat down to eat. I didn't go back and get anything for him and just let him play although I think mom thought I was going to get him to sit down too. My guess is he likely just finished breakfast (he has no interest in the fact that the others are eating).

Would you have pulled everything out again to make him snack?
    Hmmm, I think it would be a good idea to try and set a cut off time with the parent that should the child come after a certain time you will assume he does not require a snack. The parent also needs to communicate with you when the child ate breakfast, guessing is not practical. There will be a significant difference in the need dependent on a 9am drop off versus a 10am so clearing this up by talking would make it clearer to determine what to do.

A child who ate breakfast at 8 or later doesn't need to eat again until lunchtime so if that is the case I wouldn't offer snack. How many kids eat because they are offered it but in fact are not hungry, that is unhealthy. AM snack in my house is primarily in place due to the fact that most of my daycare kids are eating breakfast at 6:30 so they need a light bite at around the 9am mark to see them till lunchtime. Not to say that the 8am breakfast kid wouldn't eat like a horse, most kids I have cared for seem to have a bottomless pit for a stomach, but it likely wouldn't be a need but something they are used to which is not something that should be encouraged IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee-Bee View Post
    Is the child old enough to ask if he wants snack? I'd likely ask (even an 18month old can answer) and get him some if he says he wants some. I'd offer because if he hasn't eaten since breakfast then lunch is a far time away, and I find behavior issues arise with hungry children, and i'd rather the extra work of getting snack than the extra work of a hungry, misbehaving child!!
    You see I'd be wary of this as while an 18 month old may be able to ask for food, it may not be wise to assume they are able to make that call for themselves. I have a 17 month old who asks me for toast all day. Am I supposed to give her that when she asks because she has the competence to know what's best for her? Not at all. The only thing she knows is that she likes toast. If a kid knows I serve their favourite snack that they don't get at home they could totally ask me because they want it and like it, but it doesn't mean they need it or are even hungry, just that they want it. I wouldn't think it appropriate to rely on an 18 month old to request food. Most of my kids will eat and eat and eat if I allowed it. I have a 3 1/2 yr old dcb right now who eats a breakfast of champions at home. He eats breakfast at 7am religiously. He eats a big bowl of oatmeal with fruits and seeds, sometimes followed by a slice of toast with some nut butter. He eats like a horse. By 9am he is asking if it is lunchtime yet. No way after that amount of food is it healthy for me to give in to his request. I think it's a reflection of boredom not hunger. How many people eat out of habit or boredom and mistaken it for hunger. Free play isn't enough for him anymore due to his age, but that is my first thing routine so I can chase my kids out of the door. Once he gets on task with an activity after that, I don't get requests. If he was really hungry, he is at an age where he could ask and mean it but if he then goes a couple of hours not saying anything as a result of being engaged and stimulated at an appropriate level, then that really shows me that he isn't hungry at all. We have a very light snack in the AM as lunch around here is at 11:30 due to my crew needing nap by 12. Afternoon nap is more substantial to see them to dinner time.

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by bright sparks View Post
    You see I'd be wary of this as while an 18 month old may be able to ask for food, it may not be wise to assume they are able to make that call for themselves. I have a 17 month old who asks me for toast all day. Am I supposed to give her that when she asks because she has the competence to know what's best for her? Not at all. The only thing she knows is that she likes toast. If a kid knows I serve their favourite snack that they don't get at home they could totally ask me because they want it and like it, but it doesn't mean they need it or are even hungry, just that they want it. I wouldn't think it appropriate to rely on an 18 month old to request food. Most of my kids will eat and eat and eat if I allowed it. I have a 3 1/2 yr old dcb right now who eats a breakfast of champions at home. He eats breakfast at 7am religiously. He eats a big bowl of oatmeal with fruits and seeds, sometimes followed by a slice of toast with some nut butter. He eats like a horse. By 9am he is asking if it is lunchtime yet. No way after that amount of food is it healthy for me to give in to his request. I think it's a reflection of boredom not hunger. How many people eat out of habit or boredom and mistaken it for hunger. Free play isn't enough for him anymore due to his age, but that is my first thing routine so I can chase my kids out of the door. Once he gets on task with an activity after that, I don't get requests. If he was really hungry, he is at an age where he could ask and mean it but if he then goes a couple of hours not saying anything as a result of being engaged and stimulated at an appropriate level, then that really shows me that he isn't hungry at all. We have a very light snack in the AM as lunch around here is at 11:30 due to my crew needing nap by 12. Afternoon nap is more substantial to see them to dinner time.
    I agree with not feeding on demand but I think there is a good difference between letting a child eat what they want on command and asking a child who arrives during a meal time if they wish to join the others. I agree, don't feed a child on command and don't feed a child their favorite food endlessly. I offer food and the kids decide if and what they eat, they get no say in what is served but I don't force it to be eaten. But I do feel that it is unfair to just assume that the child has been fed recently because they arrive sometime between 9-10am. They may have last eaten at 6am with the assumption snack is provided. If this has not been clearly communicated with the parents then the next best thing to do is to ask the child if they want to join the others in snack.

Children have different dietary needs than adults and snacks are key to keeping their brains and bodies functioning and learning at their best.

Euphoric !
    I've had kids come in during art and snack/lunch times. I always give them the choice unless it's the very end and I'm cleaning up.

I pretty much always know what time this group of kids (in the past I've had parents drop off whenever) come so I just plan around that if need be. I'm not overly set in my times as long as it's within 30 mins or so of the regular time.

I agree with lee bee....hungry kids are not fun and I'd rather give them snack than deal with a meltdown when I'm getting lunch ready lol.

Euphoric !
    I know I likely should have offered him to sit down but It was an indirect hint to mom to get here before snack. As much as I have agreed to it it does annoy me. How can you not get going in the morning! She has previously commented that the reasons they are always late is that it takes the boy an hour to eat. He is an extremely pokey eater for me in the mornings and my guess is it is because he has likely just ate. My other kids get here 2-2.5 hours before him so they are ready to eat.

The reason I didn't get him a snack ready at the same time as the others too is because sometimes dad drops off and doesn't get here until 10:15 or 10:30. Of course I never know when that will be. That is why I just adopted the attitude of if he is here fine if not I just carry on as if he wasn't.

Outgoing
    Or how about when mom shows up few minutes before afternoon snack to pick up child earlier around 3pm, asks if they've had snack. I say not yet, then she says I can wait... I have to deal with all the snackers while shes waiting in front foyer. Don't really want to invite her in...but don't want to be rude

Starting to feel at home...
    Quote Originally Posted by ebhappydc View Post
    Or how about when mom shows up few minutes before afternoon snack to pick up child earlier around 3pm, asks if they've had snack. I say not yet, then she says I can wait... I have to deal with all the snackers while shes waiting in front foyer. Don't really want to invite her in...but don't want to be rude
    Put the snack in a bag and they can take it to go.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flowerchild For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I've never had a parent want their child to stay for snack but I've had kids cry that they don't get to finish it lol. I just offer to send it home with them if the parent wants. If it's a messy snack, I offer to put it away until tomorrow but than just throw it out...the child never remembers the next day lol.