Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Providing lunches

Does anyone not provide lunches for their clients, but instead have the clients bring their own lunches. I've heard of this but don't know anyone who does it, any thoughts???

Starting to feel at home...
    I had one school age boy a while ago that was a very picky eater. When he was with me for Christmas break or p.a. days, his mom would pack him his own lunch because she knew that he wouldn't eat anything otherwise.

Other than that, parents send their own food only if the child has special dietary needs.

Expansive...
    I don't provide any food - parents provide all snacks, lunch, juice, milk. I have never had any parent question it, or balk at it. But my rates are already quite alot lower than any other home daycare around because I don't provide food AND my rates are subsidized by the government since I am licensed - so if parents want low rates and a good daycare they have to send their own food.

But I find in a whole it works out just fine this way. None of the kids get upset because they are eating different food than their friends and I don't have to worry about having food prepared for 6 kids everyday. Every once and awhile I wish I provided food just because I don't like the quality of some of the food that gets sent, but generally the parents send good stuff that they know their child will eat. I have a no junk food policy, if it gets sent it won't be served.

Euphoric !
    I think if I needed to cut costs and raising my fee wasn't an option, I would go this route. I have had children in the past who had their food sent due to allergies and it was fine. I never ran into the "I want what johnny has" problem and even if I did, so what? They eventually need to learn that we don't always get what our friend has anyways so it would just be teaching them young! lol

I don't mind providing the meals and snacks as I've been told it was part of the reason they chose me (there are a few dc's in my city that apparently don't supply it) but there are definitely times that I can see why it would be a benefit if the children brought their own food.

Shy
    I currently have a family that supplies food. They want her to have only organic foods and no white flour and little sugar. We are not organic due to cost and I do bake for the kids (muffins, apple crisp) so didn't fit with my menu. They also do not want her food microwaved. They send her food in a thermos. There is no reduction in fee. She is just over one year old. So far it is working but I see in the near future her wanting what others have. Will take things a day at a time.

Outgoing
    I don't serve food but am also lower priced comparatively. If I had to I would lower my price before I would serve food. I don't know how you ladies do it! Just curious, do the dc providers here get many complaints about the food you're serving?

Outgoing
    I've never has any complaints about what I serve. in fact, I would say I get the opposite. they're just happy that the kids eat healthy, and typically more than they eat at home.

Starting to feel at home...
    I think a good compromise is having parents supply the snacks for the day and the daycare provide a hot lunch. Splits the cost and effort between both parties. Of course...special needs means parents need to accommodate. No sugar OR white flour. Poor kid...LOL Seriously though, I wish I was that 'on it'.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to SillyGirl_C For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by daycaremom9 View Post
    I don't serve food but am also lower priced comparatively. If I had to I would lower my price before I would serve food. I don't know how you ladies do it! Just curious, do the dc providers here get many complaints about the food you're serving?
    I think I serve fairly healthy lunches but with treats mixed in...I've never gotten any complaints from parents. The kids on the other hand.....lol. Actually I've had pretty good eaters so I shouldn't complain too much!

I finally gave them hummus (I'm not a dipper so I never think to buy/make it lol) and today was day 3...all ate it!!!! The first 2 days they wouldn't touch it and those who did, didn't like it. Progress!

Outgoing
    None of mine will touch hummus. But you've inspired me. I should keep trying. I think I tried it 3 times, but maybe I shouldn't have given up after that!