Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Euphoric !
    Muffin Songs on youtube is great too, not really action songs but good children's songs with voice and video that seem to capture attention. I'll have to check out The Learning Station too!

Euphoric !
    We do tv in the morning and tv at the end of the day. Around 45 minutes each time. I do also put tv on during nap for any that stay up. We sometimes do movies. Just because the tv is on doesn't mean they are watching it. It is good in the morning for the ones who come in grumpy or tired - they can just veg for a bit and watch tv. At the end of the day everything is cleaned up so time to rest and wait for pickups.

I think it's funny when parents are concerned about too much tv when 90 percent of them have the tv on all the time at home, let the kids play video games, play iPads or on their phone.
    Last edited by mickyc; 02-11-2015 at 11:22 AM.

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by mickyc View Post
    We do tv in the morning and tv at the end of the day. Around 45 minutes each time. I do also put tv on during nap for any that stay up. We sometimes do movies. Just because the tv is on doesn't mean they are watching it. It is good in the morning for the ones who come in grumpy or tired - they can just veg for a bit and watch tv. At the end of the day everything is cleaned up so time to rest and wait for pickups.

I think it's funny when parents are concerned about too much tv when 90 percent of them have the tv on all the time at home, let the kids play video games, play iPads or on their phone.
    my thoughts exactly. and that is why i don't feel bad about my allowed tv time. I do the same as you. There are some days that the TV doesn't go on at all. I don't advertise a TV Free daycare because we do have tv time, i allow it and i like it

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyPrincess View Post
    my thoughts exactly. and that is why i don't feel bad about my allowed tv time. I do the same as you. There are some days that the TV doesn't go on at all. I don't advertise a TV Free daycare because we do have tv time, i allow it and i like it

Even families that have the tv on all the time at home are allowed to pay for/hope for tv free daycare. It just means they hope their child's day is full of engaging, hands on activities. I see nothing odd with that request.

Expansive...
    "I think it's funny when parents are concerned about too much tv when 90 percent of them have the tv on all the time at home, let the kids play video games, play iPads or on their phone."

This is exactly why I don't want my own kids watching TV during the day ha ha!!!

I have no problem with tv (I watch A LOT) but I do not have a tv in my daycare.

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wonderwiper View Post
    "I think it's funny when parents are concerned about too much tv when 90 percent of them have the tv on all the time at home, let the kids play video games, play iPads or on their phone."

This is exactly why I don't want my own kids watching TV during the day ha ha!!!

I have no problem with tv (I watch A LOT) but I do not have a tv in my daycare.
    I'm the same, I really limit TV time to little or none at all during daycare hours because I don't want my own kids watching it all day long. I save it so that I can have some moments of peace after the daycare kids have gone home (probably to watch TV there - lol).

Euphoric !
    I have no issue with tv (as long as it's not 24/7) and I've had a few parents ask about it. Some don't even notice it's there. I had one parent comment that I had no tv and I pointed it out to her (in the dc space it's a huge flatscreen mounted on the wall so not sure how they miss it lol) I just let them know that it's on at the start and end of our days and depending on when your child gets dropped off or picked up will depend on how long they actually get tv time and than the odd pj day there is always a movie. So far none have had an issue with this (that I know of!) but I do find it odd when a parent will comment that they don't watch much tv but yet I know their child is on their iphone/ipad all the time....to me, it's no different. Screen time is screen time and it's all not recommended by the professionals for children under 2 and only 2-4 hours for children over 2 years.

On the days where I only have 1 or 2, we spend a lot more time upstairs in the morning so that I can bake/cook for daycare and I admit, those days the tv is on more often while they play. (how much they actually watch it is hard to gauge because sometimes it's just background noise to them as they don't watch it all the time) Those are days that I say "I was just a babysitter today" and I think that is why parents ask about tv time to daycare providers. When you're paying a daycare provider, you expect more of them and I wouldn't want my daycare provider using the tv a whole lot because I expect them to have the knowledge and resources to entertain them without it.
    Last edited by 5 Little Monkeys; 02-11-2015 at 05:13 PM.

Euphoric !
    I actually had a parent drop off this morning after the tv had been turned off. He commented to his daughter that she missed tv time! lol. she is the kind of kid who just wants to sit and watch tv for the first 10 minutes and then gets going to go play. I had to chuckle to myself.

Expansive...
    I often think and wonder why TV has such a bad rap. If you look at someone reading a book vs watching TV there aren't many differences aside from the obvious fact that the one reading is practicing, well, reading skills. But both parties are sitting and processing a story. Why is it the end of the world if the story is coming from a screen? Plus so many shows are educational these days and like someone else mentioned TV can actually be great for developing vocabulary, I see a huge difference in my kids French skills when French TV is on more often.

I am in no way saying that it's ok to plop kids in front of the TV all day. We do have set limits for screen time here and at our house TV, ipad etc all count into that time. It's just that I've actually been putting a lot of thought into this issue lately. It was bothering me that my son plays a lot of video games with his dad but when I take a step back I realize that there is actually a lot of problem solving (at least in the games they play....no violent stuff here) and other elements such as achieving goals and needing a certain amount of "coins" or whatever to "buy" things....that doesn't seem so bad after all, it's actually kind of educational in its own way.

And in the end, I grew up with restricted TV, while hubby played video games hours upon hours and guess what? We BOTH turned into productive members of society. So who knows. Like everything else, moderation and balance is key.

Euphoric !
    I would have big issue with my kids seeing TV in daycare. In my family we do not watch TV at all. We do not even have one so I would be very angry if TV was being used. If I wanted my kids doing that I would hire babysitter not day home.

I know some day home does this and that okay for them but not for me. I think to say that at home people have TV 90% of time is presuming.