Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Winter blues

Outgoing

Winter blues

Anyone else feeling the winter blues yet? I am big time.... One of my moms (the same one who sat for 20 minutes in my door and made the comment about the salt), has decided that she now likes to chat in the morning. I have two children of my own, and I need to get them to the bus stop in the morning. The stop isn't far, across the street and about five houses down. She sat right in the way of the door and I asked her to move more than once. I was trying to get four dcks dressed in their winter gear, and my own two. I said numerous times that we were going to be late and that we needed to go. Well, she didn't move. She just sat there and talked. By the time I finally got her out my door, she decided she wanted to be the one to load her kiddo into my stroller..... at like a quarter of the speed that I was moving. She indeed did make me late... my kids saw our bus coming down the street and took off running so that they wouldn't miss it. I didn't get a chance to say good bye or give hugs to my own kids before they left this morning.

I need to have a talk with this mom because she doesn't have to drop her kid off at this time... some mornings she's after the bus, before the bus.... but she wants to talk!

Sorry, this just added to my winter blues.... needed to vent.

Euphoric !
    Does she not work? Sounds like a very lonely lady that doesn't get to talk to adults often!!

Some people also just don't get hints (like you running after a bus). Sounds like you'll have to tell her incredibly overtly, "You can't stay and talk anymore as it is preventing me from caring for the children."

Go so far as to say "I almost missed the bus yesterday because you were preventing us from following our routine."

Hope she starts doing a quick drop off for you! Nothing worse than clueless people that just don't get hints!!

Yes winter blues for sure! I am sick and tired of parents not bringing proper outdoor wear and it's always someone. More indoor days than necessary due to this fact

In my contract I have a window where drop off is flat out not allowed under any circumstances. Between 8:20 and 8:40. That gives me a final 10 minutes prior to my kids needing to leave and 10 minutes so parents are not dropping off right at the very second my kids are leaving for the bus. I can not give my kids the goodbye and attention I'd like and I can not give my attention to the child coming in.

As for this parent, you NEED to be direct. You have hinted and it is still going on. Just flat out tell her that there is no drop off between X and Y. Write it in your contract and give her written notice. By all means go into more detail face to face as to the whys but if you are "nice" about it, she isn't going to take you seriously which seems to be her attitude right now. She doesn't care at all about you, your family or your daycare as she seems oblivious to the hindrance she has become during the morning time.

Outgoing
    Yes. I agree with both of you. It's time to get tough with this mom. I have a right to make sure my kids are taken care of properly and to say good bye to them. I feel that some of these parents don't see that our children are just as important as theirs.

I hear ha. I have the same issues with a mom at pick up. She stands there and pulls her phone out and says oh did I show you this video of XXX or these pics. I'm like sorry I can't see right now I still have other kids here I need to get back to the playroom. But she contuined to bring her phone out. Haha seriously. I just left saying have a great night see you tomorrow and went into the playrm. Some ppl. Honestly they just think of themselves, sometimes I just have to laugh

Euphoric !
    I feel like I have been pretty lucky as I haven't had a lot of super chatty parents. One parent used to linger and chat a bit but I didn't mind as my space is open and I can see everyone. Eventually her kid got older and started to let her know when it was time to go, heh heh. I had another mom who would change her kid's diaper before going which wouldn't be an issue except she was my last pick up. It's not like her kid was poopy or anything but because she was riding her bike she was worried about chafing. This only lasted a wk then I think she just realized it was not worth the work for a 10 min bike ride. I would ask her questions about it which I think got her thinking e.g. "do you have concerns about diaper rash or the number of times she is getting changed? I just changed her an hr a go before we went outside." etc.

Re: the blues- I just went through this. For me it lasted about a week or 2 and it was in relation to some bad news/feeling trapped. Honestly, posting about it on here helped the most and talking to my husband. I also tried to revamp the daycare activities and force myself to put in more effort...it helped for sure. I'm so over winter though!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to torontokids For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Honestly, I don't mind if parents are chatty, it's just that this is happening when I need to leave. If she came 15 minutes earlier, or later it wouldn't be as much of an issue. I'm just going to flat out tell her that her timing stinks. But with more tact than that, lol.

As for the winter blues, I've got a full plate. I've got anxiety, and I find this time of year can get to me. I try to remain active, but sometimes it still gets to me. I've started excersizing every day in an effort to boost my energy and ambition. Also, my sons special needs are tiring. I love my son to pieces, and I don't want to sound negative at all - but at the end of the day, I'm very tired He's come a long way, and my husband and I have him enrolled with a therapist who does behaviour therapy and mental health therapy, so that helps a lot. We've also enrolled him in some extra curricular activities to keep him busy and his mind engaged, ( his special needs are ADHD/ODD). Keeping him busy and educated helps greatly with his behaviour, but running around and business only contributes to my exhaustion. Add all this with daycare issues, and everyday life stuff, I'm feeling a bit worn out.

Euphoric !
    I usually get the winter blues but haven't got them really this year (knock on wood!! lol) It's been a fantastic winter weather wise here in MB so I think that has helped!! Last year was brutally cold but this year we haven't had to stay indoors due to cold nearly as much!! That really helps

I'm sorry that you were late and didn't get to say goodbye to your kids like you would have liked today. That is very annoying especially when you told the mom that you were busy! How could she not see?? Or offer to at least help while sitting there chatting...sheesh! Some people just make you shake your head and wonder what is going on in theirs!!

Hope you are able to tell her more directly (I know it can be hard!) and that tomorrow is a better day!!