Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Anyone Ever Been Talked Out of Terminating a Family?

So I FINALLY got the nerve up to terminate the family who has been so condescending these past few months, and mom called me asking for another chance. I was terminating based on some insensitive comments both parents were making about activities etc ("maybe dd won't be so bored tomorrow since X will be here") and basically being felt like I was being interrogated at pick up every evening.

At the end of the phone convo, I let her talk me into keeping her dd, and I actually feel ok with it. I completely wasn't expecting the call. If anything, I thought I'd get a nasty email, but she apologized profusely for her behaviour and claims that she doesn't realize she was doing it. She also told me that she is extremely pleased with the quality of care I provide, and told me she was very sorry that she hasn't been conveying her satisfaction to me. She promised to do better. She honestly pleaded with me to sit down with her and talk it through, but after having been on the phone for half an hour by that point, I agreed to keep her daughter on.

So she knows how I feel now, in no uncertain terms. I was very honest with her. If things don't change, it'll be no drama to sever ties. I feel again like I have some control back in my hands as well, which I feel is kind of important in our line of work.

Has anyone ever reconsidered a contract termination? How did it go in the end?

Euphoric !
    I have been where you are at. It was a wake up call for the family and with promises to change were in most cases given a second chance. Some of those became my best families as they went overboard to make sure I was happy. At first I still treaded carefully but you will relax over time too. That isn't to say it will work out for sure but when faced with the other options the family realized the quality of care was more important than some of the other aspects and that is a vote of confidence in you.

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by Alphaghetti View Post
    So I FINALLY got the nerve up to terminate the family who has been so condescending these past few months, and mom called me asking for another chance. I was terminating based on some insensitive comments both parents were making about activities etc ("maybe dd won't be so bored tomorrow since X will be here") and basically being felt like I was being interrogated at pick up every evening.

At the end of the phone convo, I let her talk me into keeping her dd, and I actually feel ok with it. I completely wasn't expecting the call. If anything, I thought I'd get a nasty email, but she apologized profusely for her behaviour and claims that she doesn't realize she was doing it. She also told me that she is extremely pleased with the quality of care I provide, and told me she was very sorry that she hasn't been conveying her satisfaction to me. She promised to do better. She honestly pleaded with me to sit down with her and talk it through, but after having been on the phone for half an hour by that point, I agreed to keep her daughter on.

So she knows how I feel now, in no uncertain terms. I was very honest with her. If things don't change, it'll be no drama to sever ties. I feel again like I have some control back in my hands as well, which I feel is kind of important in our line of work.

Has anyone ever reconsidered a contract termination? How did it go in the end?
    I would still put your ad out there and start interviewing as she just maybe in a position to to not be able to take any time off work. She may look for other care then tell you to shove it. Make sure you cover your back!

Good on you for standing your groud and I truely hope it works out!

Expansive...
    I'd (personally) give her a chance. Maybe she honestly didn't realize how she was coming across and this will knock some sense into her?

Mama - yes that's what I am hoping as well. Her husband showed up early (!!) last night, and we talked, and he apologized for comments he's made as well, and told me how much they appreciate me etc.

Mom showed up this am, sweet as pie and thanking me, wishing me a good day. Already, this is new behaviour! So...fingers crossed. I really don't mind terminating with regards to the parents, I just feel badly for the little girl, as if I do terminate, she will have to move on to her THIRD daycare in just a little over a year since mom's gone back to work.

Starting to feel at home...
    Keep them for now, but start looking for a replacement. Sorry to be the negative nelly here, but I'm guessing they convinced you to let them stay so that they have time to find a new provider. Yes, so they can dump you instead of you dumping them. It's happened before....