Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Outgoing
    Whenever I have an issue that needs to be addressed with one or more parents, I usually like to write a letter to everyone. That way, the conversation can be limited if there is no time at pick-up but they all still get the same information. It's also sometimes easier because no one is "put on the spot."

If you haven't done it already, maybe something like this,

Dear parents,

This has been such a wonderful month since I opened my daycare. It has been just a flurry of activity here. With all of this new excitement however, I believe an issue may have been overlooked.

It is very important that your children eat something before coming to daycare. My schedule does not allow me to provide breakfast and we don't have morning snack until 10:15. I am afraid if your child has not had anything to eat when they arrive, they will not be able to fully enjoy their morning activities.

Thank you very much for your cooperation,

I also think it is a good idea to have this conversation or letter for all parents because, in the future the child who has had breakfast now, might be the one who comes without eating next month. This way, everyone is on the same page.

Do you have a policy about bringing the food into your house? If not, consider one. I have had children walk in at 7:00am with a baggie of chips, cheesies, and even a pizza pocket! "But she just found it in the car..." NO! Any parent who has allowed this has seen me take it out of their child's hand and put it straight into the garbage. I am guessing it's just because they want me to be "the bad guy." Happy to oblige. My policies are in place for a reason.
    Last edited by kindertime; 02-18-2015 at 08:53 PM. Reason: fixing my mistakes

Outgoing
    I honestly don't mind giving any of the little ones, toast or cheerios etc. when they arrive at 7:15...I know it's hard for some kids to eat right after they get up...but I was having one dkg show up at like 10:30 (norm for them) and tell me she hasn't had breakfast...SERIOUSL Y? I told the mom I do not serve breakfast past 9:30..and that's a pain in the ...so guess who shows up now about 9:25....honest to god! The little girl actually showed up with her dad and says "my mom said you have to give me breakfast cause I am on time"....!!!!!?????

Outgoing
    Well....you know, you have to teach manipulation early... otherwise kids just won't learn.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to kindertime For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by sandylynn View Post
    I honestly don't mind giving any of the little ones, toast or cheerios etc. when they arrive at 7:15...I know it's hard for some kids to eat right after they get up...but I was having one dkg show up at like 10:30 (norm for them) and tell me she hasn't had breakfast...SERIOUSL Y? I told the mom I do not serve breakfast past 9:30..and that's a pain in the ...so guess who shows up now about 9:25....honest to god! The little girl actually showed up with her dad and says "my mom said you have to give me breakfast cause I am on time"....!!!!!?????
    Why not have set time for breakfast like other meals/snacks. Say, 7.30am is breakfast. If they come later, they missed it. Just like if they show up at 3pm, they missed lunch.

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzie_Homemaker View Post
    Why not have set time for breakfast like other meals/snacks. Say, 7.30am is breakfast. If they come later, they missed it. Just like if they show up at 3pm, they missed lunch.
    Yes I hear you Suzie_Homemaker....t here is a lot of things I should change lol....somehow I always end up with parents that want to run their own show! lol

Starting to feel at home...
    I have it in my contract that I do not do breakfast for children arriving after 7:15 am. I only have a couple kids that start earlier, a few times a month, so I don't have to do it often.
    What bugs me is parents who bring their kids later in the morning with half their breakfast in their hands and want them to sit at the table to finish it. I don't have time to put them at the table and watch them eat while I have a bunch of little ones running around in the playroom!
    I let them know that they have to get them to finish it before they come.

Outgoing
    Yes mattsmom...but asking is one thing...receiving is another!

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by mattsmom View Post
    I have it in my contract that I do not do breakfast for children arriving after 7:15 am. I only have a couple kids that start earlier, a few times a month, so I don't have to do it often.
    What bugs me is parents who bring their kids later in the morning with half their breakfast in their hands and want them to sit at the table to finish it. I don't have time to put them at the table and watch them eat while I have a bunch of little ones running around in the playroom!
    I let them know that they have to get them to finish it before they come.
    I would hand the breakfast back to parent and say that breakfast is done and I can't suspend the whole curriculum to watch their child eat so next food will be snack. If they comment that child not eaten enough to wait that long, tell parent they can supervise their child eating in the car and then join us when ready to participate in the current scheduled activity. It will only happen the one time. Not happen again if parent has to supervise own kid outside the building.

Starting to feel at home...
    I agree with everyone. Just politely tell them. No issues there. Don't be intimidated by your parents. They will respect you for your openness and honesty. I use to serve a morning snack but found all my kids were still hungry in the morning so dropped the morning snack, I now serve breakfast and early lunch and afternoon snack. Whatever your schedule is like, just reinforce it with parents.

Hi,
    As a playschool teacher as of three years ago and a dayhome provider now i can say to the original post two words 'Good Luck' lol. Basically there is no hope and i just have food prepared for those cases, but i choose the menu not them. The parents get to see it weekly if they visit the blog if not the onus is on them.