Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Can't find the words...

I'm giving notice to everyone today that I am closing on July 29th. I was only going to give the 2 weeks contracted notice period, but I'm itching to let them know now. I was always conflicted about such short notice, but had anyone left me high and dry earlier than the 2 weeks, it would have been a massive problem. Now just feels like the right time. 3 weeks on Wednesday, and the saving grace for these parents is that I was already booked to take 3 weeks vacation from the 30th anyway, so they will essentially have over 6 weeks to find alternative care. Also, today is the last lot of post dated cheques to go into the bank without any alterations. Next Monday parents will have to pay me partial as their deposits will start to kick in.

I don't even know what to put in my notice now. I'm rarely lost for words lol I guess it's easier to give advice than to follow through and do what you've got to do yourself when it's personal. I think I'm a little wishy washy because quite obviously this isn't a sudden move and parents may very well think that I should have told them much earlier given the fact that I obviously would have known for some time, which I have, but I've been sticking to my contract to protect my own family's best financial interest, so haven't.

Obviously I'll chat with these families at the door more in depth so I can keep the written notice brief. One parent already knows, but her son is leaving for kindergarten anyway. Another family is on Mat leave until next April too so they won't be to stressed.

I was thinking of putting "...Going to University has been something I have dreamed of for a long time, and due to a combination of family circumstances and the new childcare bill coming into effect, it seemed like a good time to make the change." Aside from that, it would simply be a case of explaining last day, confirming when deposits come into play and wishing them well.

Thoughts? I want to give it to them tonight at pick up.

Euphoric !
    I'd be tempted just to blame Bill10. Something along the lines of with Bill 10 taking effect I have to seek a new career to provide for my family. Then the end dates and details about final payments.

If they ask in person tell them you are going to go back to school to get a new career to better provide for your family.

In writing, no need for the details...if they are upset they may read it as you being "selfish and putting yourself first before them". Obviously you SHOULD put yourself first but they won't be in the mindset to appreciate that. Just tell them it is time for a new career as you can't continue with bill 10 taking effect. It is factual (partial truth) and lets them know it isn't you just wanting to go to school and having held off this long to tell them.

Good luck!!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Lee-Bee For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Lee-Bee View Post
    I'd be tempted just to blame Bill10. Something along the lines of with Bill 10 taking effect I have to seek a new career to provide for my family. Then the end dates and details about final payments.

If they ask in person tell them you are going to go back to school to get a new career to better provide for your family.

In writing, no need for the details...if they are upset they may read it as you being "selfish and putting yourself first before them". Obviously you SHOULD put yourself first but they won't be in the mindset to appreciate that. Just tell them it is time for a new career as you can't continue with bill 10 taking effect. It is factual (partial truth) and lets them know it isn't you just wanting to go to school and having held off this long to tell them.

Good luck!!
    That is a good point and a good idea! It's also not entirely untrue. Thanks

Expansive...
    also I think it is good to remind them that you are giving them notice so they have the month of July and the 3 weeks planned holidays in Aug to find daycare, so almost 2 months as they may need reminding if they are panicing like you said

Quote Originally Posted by Van View Post
    also I think it is good to remind them that you are giving them notice so they have the month of July and the 3 weeks planned holidays in Aug to find daycare, so almost 2 months as they may need reminding if they are panicing like you said
    I did do this. Mom one...panicking one, said I guess I'll be busy this week then. I did remind her that the contract only requires 2 weeks notice and with the 3 1/2 I gave plus the 3 weeks vacation she has over 6 weeks to find care. She was more concerned with getting her son in a daycare with one of the other little boys here.

2nd one was more concerned about finding someone she likes as much as me but I reminded her that she is off work till next May so shouldn't have a problem. That being said, I know she likes to be organized as she signed up with me 6 months prior to starting her son at 10 months old and this time she has a 2nd child. She knows she will be fine, just an emotional shock reaction for her.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to bright sparks For This Useful Post: