Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Shy

How to tell parents to feed their kids breakfast

How do I politely tell parents that their kids need to have had breakfast before arriving at my door? I want to do it nicely. I just opened in Jan and two of my one year olds come without breakfast. I really didn't think to discuss this ahead of time as I just thought it was a given, but will be discussing with future parents! I just don't have the time to feed two toddlers as my other kids are arriving. Any input as to the wording would be appreciated! Thx.

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by homeschoolmom View Post
    Part of my handbook reads: "Please have your child ready for a day of fun indoors and out. Breakfast fed, play clothes that are not too precious to get dirty, outerwear appropriate to the day, etc. "
    Mine as well. The wording is a little different, but the same points.

Expansive...
    Do you have a schedule of your day as part of your parent policies? Mine states that arrivals & free play time is 7:15 to 9 am, then snack at 9 am. This shows that I don't give breakfast. You could also add a note to about how the child must arrive for the morning ready for the day, including already having had breakfast. If you don't have a schedule you could distribute one to parents as an amendment to your policies and get parents to sign off that they have read it.

At the same time you just need to tell the families you have issue with that you cannot provide breakfast, as it is too busy due to drop offs. It isn't always easy having these conversations, but I have found face to face the best way to deal with anything.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to AmandaKDT For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    If it's already in your policies and they're ignoring it, then I'd be a bit passive-aggressive with them, personally (haha). I'd say something like, "Billy seemed really hungry this morning, and you know we don't have snack until 10am (or whatever time), did he not want to eat his breakfast this morning?"

It can be hard to have a direct conversation, especially if everyone is still getting used to each other, as in "Just so you're aware, Billy needs to be fed breakfast before daycare, as that's not part of my program." and you may have to come to that, but you could always try the lighter approach, and see what they come back with.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to CrazyEight For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    My contract says all children must have eaten breakfast before arriving at day care. Down a bit, it says that I provide lunch and two snacks.

If you don't give breakfast, then it is naughty that parents just expect. Do you say what snacks and meals you give so that without breakfast and supper being given by you, parents should know?

I would speak to parent and say that the child is hungry long before morning snack and that they need bigger breakfast at home - that way not accusing of no breakfast. Might be they not eating enough? If they say they want you to give, and thought you did, be ready to say yes or no depending on your wish. If you willing to give, do you want parent to provide?

Think it all through before speaking. Think about all the things they might say or ask and decide whay you want to do and what you do not want so you are ready for anything they might say. Be prepared.

Parents are silly sometimes.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Suzie_Homemaker For This Useful Post:

Shy

Thanks for insight

Having just opened in early January it never really crossed my mind to specify that children should eat before arriving at my door. When my first child was in daycare I never assumed my provider would feed him, he was always ready for the day.
    When the children arrive in the morning I have a routine of asking the parent how the child's morning is so far and if there's any concerns etc that I need to know about. Both of these parents say that the children haven't eaten, they pretty much are woken up and brought here. So I do say some fault falls on me for probably not saying earlier. However in my contract and policies book it does say that I give a snack at 10:15, lunch 12:30, and second snack at 3. So I will be discussing this with my parents today upon pickup that the children need breakfast before arriving. A friend of mine that did daycare charged an extra $5/day for breakfast. I have chosen not to give that option because my mornings are crazy and I really don't have time. I want all my daycare kids to have the same attention and devotion right from the start!

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by Frogsandrabbits View Post
    Having just opened in early January it never really crossed my mind to specify that children should eat before arriving at my door. When my first child was in daycare I never assumed my provider would feed him, he was always ready for the day.
    When the children arrive in the morning I have a routine of asking the parent how the child's morning is so far and if there's any concerns etc that I need to know about. Both of these parents say that the children haven't eaten, they pretty much are woken up and brought here. So I do say some fault falls on me for probably not saying earlier. However in my contract and policies book it does say that I give a snack at 10:15, lunch 12:30, and second snack at 3. So I will be discussing this with my parents today upon pickup that the children need breakfast before arriving. A friend of mine that did daycare charged an extra $5/day for breakfast. I have chosen not to give that option because my mornings are crazy and I really don't have time. I want all my daycare kids to have the same attention and devotion right from the start!
    I am Glad you mentioned your contract. So with that being said, definitely have the conversation with the parents. You don't offer breakfast so the children must be fed before they come to your house. Simple as that. If the parents say the kid is not a big eater in the morning, you can tell them a little is better than nothing or else they will have an empty belly til snack time at 10.15.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MonkeyPrincess For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I put it in my contract also. Specify BEFORE as well. I have had parents bring their child with their breakfast to eat here. Nope! I don't have time for that either. It amazes me some days how unorganized parents can be. I don't allow my daughter to eat in our vehicle so it annoys me that kids come covered in food from eating in the car!

Quote Originally Posted by mickyc View Post
    I put it in my contract also. Specify BEFORE as well. I have had parents bring their child with their breakfast to eat here. Nope! I don't have time for that either. It amazes me some days how unorganized parents can be. I don't allow my daughter to eat in our vehicle so it annoys me that kids come covered in food from eating in the car!
    I know that it is hectic getting out the door in the morning for work with little ones but I have a family who give their son breakfast in the car and then he brings it in my house in a baggy even though it's against policy. Thing is, I think what happens a lot isn't just poorly organized households but this particular family have told me flat out that he looked so peaceful sleeping so didn't want to wake him. But then they are rushing out the door without a proper breakfast at home. Makes me shake my head that they have such little thought and consideration to dcproviders who have multiple children and don't care about breaking policies.

To the OP....I think amending your contract with very clear terms that breakfast is neither provided or an option is very important. Also just adopt a strict no outside food policy so that bringing breakfast in is not an option. I put it down to allergies so I can additionally add that children's hands and face need to be thoroughly cleaned prior to entering daycare. On top of this written notification I strongly believe that there will always be those families who still don't get it. You have to talk to these people face to face and have them acknowledge it. Don't even begin to assume that just because you have put it in writing that they have "got it". I gave up on common sense a long time ago.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bright sparks For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by bright sparks View Post
    I know that it is hectic getting out the door in the morning for work with little ones but I have a family who give their son breakfast in the car and then he brings it in my house in a baggy even though it's against policy. Thing is, I think what happens a lot isn't just poorly organized households but this particular family have told me flat out that he looked so peaceful sleeping so didn't want to wake him. But then they are rushing out the door without a proper breakfast at home. Makes me shake my head that they have such little thought and consideration to dcproviders who have multiple children and don't care about breaking policies.

To the OP....I think amending your contract with very clear terms that breakfast is neither provided or an option is very important. Also just adopt a strict no outside food policy so that bringing breakfast in is not an option. I put it down to allergies so I can additionally add that children's hands and face need to be thoroughly cleaned prior to entering daycare. On top of this written notification I strongly believe that there will always be those families who still don't get it. You have to talk to these people face to face and have them acknowledge it. Don't even begin to assume that just because you have put it in writing that they have "got it". I gave up on common sense a long time ago.
    I had a parent do this while there was a peanut allergy here. It states right in my contract that nut products are not served here because of potential for allergic reactions. Anyway... this Mom walks in my door holding her sons breakfast, (even though my contract clearly states they are to eat breakfast before arriving), which is smothered in peanut butter. The child with the allergy was here that day, so I went and got a baggie, bagged the breakfast and informed the mother that he could not eat it here. It was the last time she brought breakfast to my house.