Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Daycare dad arrested

Hi, I am looking for some advice from anyone who has been in a similar situation or has any thoughts.

I have a relatively new daycare baby. He has just fully settled in and I was very happy with the situation.

He did not attend today because he was sick with a cold. I have now found out though, that the father was arrested last night for assaulting the mother and the baby was hurt as well.

Normally the mother drops off and the father picks up. The mother is now obviously saying that the father is not allowed to pick up the baby and her mother (the babies grandmother) will be doing pick ups.

Unfortunately, the mother will not be able to afford me on her own, so it is unlikely that she will be here longer than 2 weeks.

But I am quite nervous. I have never had a situation like this in my 9 years of home daycare. And of course the baby is picked up at a super busy time, when parents are coming and going, so I will need to make them lock the door behind them. I just don't want the dad to show up. I don't know if he will, but just the thought of it makes my stomach turn.

Has anyone dealt with something like this before? How did it pan out? Is there anything I can do to prepare myself?

Thanks

Euphoric !
    He has already been arrested and if he was released he would have bail conditions that would include not being around the mom/baby.

You need to be careful and remain alert but I wouldn't stress too much. Lock the door at all times, check the peep hole when a parent knocks. If he comes, don't open the door and call the police. Express your concerns with the mother and ask her where things are at e.g. does he have supervised visitation with his child?

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to torontokids For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    What a mess!

Is there a no-contact order in place? Could mom give you a copy of that to have on hand? If CAS isn't already involved, they will be soon, so they'll probably be able to have something in writing for you. (I'm just thinking it would be handy to have something in writing that he can't pick up, in case he shows up and you end up calling the police)

Is there a section in your contract that specifies which parents the child can be released to? If there is and it currently says both parents, I'd get the mom to refill out a new contract immediately.

I think keeping your door locked for the time being is a good idea. Chances are he won't show up, but just in case, then you're covered. Do you have a peep hole or a window you can check before you open the door?

Euphoric !
    Also, inform the other parents that there will be increased safety precautions in the coming weeks. You could say there have been reports of a prowler in the neighbourhood, not sure what else you could say without scaring them too much/breaking confidentiality of the family.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to torontokids For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    This is such a horrible situation- for everyone, especially the baby. I don't envy your position.

My first suggeston to you is right now, before pick-up time, call the police station or, if you have a lawyer friend and ask what is legal. I have been told by the police (in Que.) that the parents (no matter the custody situation) have the right to get their child. This also includes anyone who has been given permission in writing to pick up.

So even in this situation, if it were here, I would be required by law to allow Dad to get the child. If I refused, I could be accused of kidnapping.

You or course have to also consider yourself and the other children. Safety first. Yes, keep the door locked. You can tell Dad you don't feel comfortable inviting him in but wait one minute, you'll get the baby. If things get out of hand, which, likely they won't, you call 911.

Have you talked to Mom yet? If you know what time Dad usually comes, could Grandma come a little earlier?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to kindertime For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by flowerchild View Post
    What a mess!

Is there a no-contact order in place? Could mom give you a copy of that to have on hand? If CAS isn't already involved, they will be soon, so they'll probably be able to have something in writing for you. (I'm just thinking it would be handy to have something in writing that he can't pick up, in case he shows up and you end up calling the police)

Is there a section in your contract that specifies which parents the child can be released to? If there is and it currently says both parents, I'd get the mom to refill out a new contract immediately.

I think keeping your door locked for the time being is a good idea. Chances are he won't show up, but just in case, then you're covered. Do you have a peep hole or a window you can check before you open the door?
    Yes! Without the paperwork, you really are required to release the child to him. Get a copy ASAP.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to torontokids For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Be careful. Is all this information coming from the mother? Without any paperwork, how do you know if it is true?

I know you want to make sure the child is not hurt and that the Dad is not a risk to you or anyone else but until you have court paperwork telling you different, right now, you just have one person's word - and that Dad has the same rights as the mother until he doesn't. You can't just deny a Dad access without paperwork just as you couldn't deny the mother access without paperwork.

What a mess.

Thanks for all your advice!

@suzie I was feeling the same way about the situation. Not that I don't trust the mother but you have to guard yourself.

I called the police and they have confirmed what you all said, that I need some form of no contact order or a copy of his bail restrictions.

I just spoke to the mom and she doesn't have anything yet. He went up this morning and she is still waiting for them to call to say if he was released or not.

I don't have the baby here today, but he should be back tomorrow. I do have a window and will keep my door locked even when other parents are here.

Thanks again everyone.

It is such a horrible situation apparently the baby is pretty banged up (

Euphoric !
    Maybe you need to tell the mom that you can't take him back until you have the paperwork because this puts the baby at risk (you would have to release him to the father) or you (if you refused to hand him over). Not to mention the other children in your care!

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to torontokids For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    What a messy situation! That poor mom and baby

You've been given some great advice. I hope you figured out what you wanna do. I'm surprised the baby is even still in moms hands right now. Hopefully (if moms story is true) the dad won't have any alone time with his baby and hopefully he's not going to be a dick throughout this process!!

Good luck to you all!!