Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fever

Euphoric !

Fever

So I had a DC mom show up this morning with DCB and she started to tell me about his fever last night. I interrupted her and told her he can't be here with 24 hr exclusion policy. She was agreeable and took him home. He looked fine, I was tempted to let him stay but ultimately said they had to go just so I am consistent and because there is always the scenario where they aren't well after all. Plus with the measles "outbreak" in Toronto, I am extra cautious.

Just out of curiosity, is anyone ever lenient with this policy? I guess I also wonder if this would just encourage parents to be less forth coming with future incidents like this.

Expansive...
    You did the right thing. If you start being lenient, then parents will expect you to be lenient. If they are not forthcoming it's actually pretty obvious. A child who has been "dosed and dropped" (given meds to mask a fever) will start to show symptoms again within about 4-6 hours of dropoff because that is when meds wear off. so usually right before/after naptime for me, I keep an eye out for this at this time of year although my dc parents have been pretty good.

Outgoing
    No, you did the right thing. How many times have we all seen a child run a fever, then wake up fine, be fine all day, only to end up with that fever coming back on them the next afternoon? 24 exclusion is great rule for a reason!

Euphoric !
    I agree with what you did. I do find though that some parents just quit saying anything about their child being sick.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mickyc For This Useful Post:

FSD

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by mickyc View Post
    I agree with what you did. I do find though that some parents just quit saying anything about their child being sick.
    So true. On more than one occassion I have had a child here who seem as though they have been given something (like tempra.) Not quite themselves, tired, warm but maybe not hot. No fever. And I wonder... I debate whether or not to ask at pick-up. They all know my policy. So do I put them on the spot? I figure if they lie, I won't have any more information and now they've lied twice, and if they tell the truth, "yes I gave him ..." then now we are in a situation where they know that I know they don't have any respect for me. Frankly. I would rather be oblivious. These families don't tend to stick around very long anyway.

When I first opened my daycare, I ran into an old friend in the store one day. I told her what I was doing, to which she replied, "Oh, yah, I won't ever send my kids to licenced daycare anymore because they always send the kids home when they have a fever."

I guess some people seem to think that is the whole point of daycare.

Expansive...
    You did the right thing as I was in the same boat yesterday and the child did look fine so I decided to let the child stay ending up calling the Mom later and the Mom took the child to a Dr and she emailed me to tell he has Pink eye and will be staying home for the rest of the week- so it is a reminder to us all to check the children in the morning or we may end up getting sick and the other children too- wish I sent her home