Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Cloth diapers

Outgoing

Cloth diapers

Just curious, if daycare providers here charge extra for dealing with cloth diapers and washcloths instead of wet wipes for diaper changes? This mom says that her son gets changed 7 times daily and I'm thinking this will take more time and effort on my part.

Euphoric !
    Lots of cloth diapers now days. About 25% of all children in cloth.

No extra fee here for them. A diaper is a diaper. Wrap up with content and require a wet bag to put them in and then left on doorstep/back deck for parent to get so not smelly in house. I also have requirement that if diapers not laundered at home daily that they are at soaking in soap because I find even clean diapers can hold pee pee smell if not washed quick.

Starting to feel at home...
    When I have a little one in cloth diapers, they are changed when the others are, I don't change them more often.

Euphoric !
    I have never had a child in cloth diapers in my hdc or in the centres I worked at. I'd need a lesson on how to change them and store dirty diapers but I'm fairly sure I wouldn't charge more.

I do think they're becoming more popular again so I'm sure I'll see some soon! A friend of a friend cloth diapers but has mentioned she'd send disposables when/if she needs daycare.

Outgoing
    I bought an All Purpose Canister from the dollar store for $3.00 and keep the wet bag in there as further protection from smell. I put it outside front door near end of day. No extra fees here. I use same cover if just pee and just replace the cloth diaper and wipe with moist cloth. If it's poop then I roll the whole thing up with the washcloth and cover and stick it n wet bag. No dumping. I get rid of it ASAP. Has worked well. Mom knows the ones that have the covers are the poop ones. mom supplies everything and washcloths too.

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by 5 Little Monkeys View Post
    I have never had a child in cloth diapers in my hdc or in the centres I worked at. I'd need a lesson on how to change them and store dirty diapers but I'm fairly sure I wouldn't charge more.

I do think they're becoming more popular again so I'm sure I'll see some soon! A friend of a friend cloth diapers but has mentioned she'd send disposables when/if she needs daycare.
    This very true. For 6 year I have no cloth diapers and only asked once and said no. Last 3 years, lots of cloth diapers. Always one or two in cloth and same for other providers I know.

It just the same. They have velcro or snap and there is a pocket for a pad to be put inside, like putting pillow case on pillow. Size of diaper can be changed as child get bigger by snaps which shorten/lengthen the height that diaper comes up tummy and back.

I tell all parent that clean diapers in child bag must be already to right size and have pad/insert inside. So when I put on child, it is just like throw away diaper with popper or velco on sides. Some carer plop out solid into toilet when used and throw away dirty wipes. Some just wrap it all up and parent deal with at home. Up to you. Then the diaper with mess and wipes or facecloth go straight in bag to go home. Exactly same as throw away diaper except not throwing away.

Some carer have RSI (I think) or bad hand from snap, snap all time. Two snap each side of diaper and snap under crotch of vest is 7 undo snaps and 7 do up snaps every diaper change. Some people hands don't like all the snap, snapping. Some carer ask for velcro diaper but expensive to buy if parent already bought snapping diaper.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Suzie_Homemaker For This Useful Post:

I don't charge extra for cloth and I have a couple of them that are in them here. I actually openly offer all my clients if they are interested, what they are all about. Our clients/parents pay us so much of their hard earned money to take care of their treasures i'm all for showing them how to save a little here and there.

what i really want to know is why would you charge more? Its the parents that have to take them home nightly and do loads of laundry, and bring them back and forth, if anything its more work for them but the choice they have made and understand using cloth diapers. I don't understand, nor would I ever charge more to do that. You wipe poop off of a regular diapered bum no? there is no difference with cloth diapers, especially if your wrapping it all up and tossing it in a wet bag. I even remove solids for my clients so they just have to toss everything in the wash and return clean. I feel like charging more is quite petty no? Your job is to take care of peoples children, whatever that takes. If we were to charge more for lets say, disposable plates and cutlery because we don't want to do so many dishes, would you? or, if you do crafts everyday instead of once and a while you should charge more? Come on providers, this is our job, our life, our love, don't get caught up in all the tiny details of the great little lives we get to be a part of.

sorry for the rant but this bugs me!

If a parent has chosen cloth diapers for their children they should not be discriminated against and charged more or turned down by a provider based on diaper choice....kinda ridiculous if you ask me.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Beanie For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Well for myself I do not do cloth. Sorry if that seems like I am discriminating Beanie but it's the same thing as saying no to others based on other parent choices. I tried cloth with my daughter and don't like them. They are more work IMO. It is my choice as a provider. Just like saying potty training kids need to wear a pull-up. My house my rules. I have turned a family away because of cloth. It is not something I want to do.

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
    I don't charge extra for cloth and I have a couple of them that are in them here. I actually openly offer all my clients if they are interested, what they are all about. Our clients/parents pay us so much of their hard earned money to take care of their treasures i'm all for showing them how to save a little here and there.

what i really want to know is why would you charge more? Its the parents that have to take them home nightly and do loads of laundry, and bring them back and forth, if anything its more work for them but the choice they have made and understand using cloth diapers. I don't understand, nor would I ever charge more to do that. You wipe poop off of a regular diapered bum no? there is no difference with cloth diapers, especially if your wrapping it all up and tossing it in a wet bag. I even remove solids for my clients so they just have to toss everything in the wash and return clean. I feel like charging more is quite petty no? Your job is to take care of peoples children, whatever that takes. If we were to charge more for lets say, disposable plates and cutlery because we don't want to do so many dishes, would you? or, if you do crafts everyday instead of once and a while you should charge more? Come on providers, this is our job, our life, our love, don't get caught up in all the tiny details of the great little lives we get to be a part of.

sorry for the rant but this bugs me!

If a parent has chosen cloth diapers for their children they should not be discriminated against and charged more or turned down by a provider based on diaper choice....kinda ridiculous if you ask me.
    Pretty sure the original poster was considering charging more because she has never dealt with cloth diapers before and then has the mom telling her she needs to change the diaper seven times a day. That is alot of diaper changes. Nothing petty about that!

I haven't had any cloth diaper daycare kids, but I have had the cloth training pants. I am totally okay with them, as long as they are properly washed so they don't start to smell.

Be sure that if you do decide to take cloth diapered babies that you tell the parents if they start to have an ammonia smell to them, it means they have build up and need to be stripped and deep cleaned. Properly washed cloth diapers aren't supposed to smell.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to AmandaKDT For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I am cloth diaper friendly .... I don't charge extra .... The diapers must cone ready to go and there must be a wet bag ... The diapers must go home nightly and I do not rinse or dump.... I love cloth diapers !!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Crayola kiddies For This Useful Post:

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast