Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Outgoing

Daycare Insurance

Quick question - my current insurance company won't allow me more than 2 under 2 (even though I'm not licensed) or 3 under 3 ... due to Days Nursery Act they said. Does anyone else have this restriction from their insurance company? I'm with State Farm currently. thanks

Outgoing
    Mine just says no more than 5 children...SHOP AROUND....EVEN PEOPLE THAT WORK FOR STATE FARM INSURANCE ....DON'T USE STATE FARM INSURANCE

3. The Following User Says Thank You to sandylynn For This Useful Post:

Use the cooperators. I don't think they have age restrictions.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to babydom For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    I'm with Aviva.... they'll cover what is legal ratio. So 2 under 2, and 5 in total.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to JennJubie For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    A lot of providers use Wawanesa. They were the one company that would cover me for over 5 kids (e.g 5 kids plus my 2 kids). They had no restrictions on ages, plus they were less expensive. You're not going to sue yourself if something happens to one of your own kids but a lot of companies won't cover you if they find out you were caring for more than 5 kids at one time where your children counting in their number screws things up.

Once the new Bill becomes law I can switch to the company I was with before that would only cover me for 5 kids total, including mine which works out to be a little cheaper as I have my car insurance with them as well.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to torontokids For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Thanks everyone!! Wish I had asked earlier as this has been quite a burden. I will call around.

Euphoric !
    I use Wawanesa. On old house insurance they used to do up to 6 children but that changed about 8 years ago to 4 children for flat fee of $100 extra but no more than 4. We have special policy for day care for more than 4. Wawanesa is best price and coverage I found.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Suzie_Homemaker For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I signed up with Wawanesa 2 yrs a go and they cover me for 5 DCkids plus my 2.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to torontokids For This Useful Post:

As soon as I read who your insurer is I contacted my broker. I'm with State Farm and they cover me for 5 children plus my own so I'm not sure what you are being told by the agent but it is incorrect. I have even had then show me the clause and exact wording in their insurance guide. Also the day nurseries act doesn't say anything about ratios pertaining to home daycare providers so not sure why they are saying this. I pay a flat rate of $250 a year. Keep in mind that not all insurers offer the same coverage so saving $100 a year may be the worst decision someone makes. For me it's the coverage that's inportant not the rate...within reason. I've had auto claims and a house claim with SF and they handled things better than I could have ever hoped for. Inexpensive is one thing but that doesn't effect the quality. Cheap isn't always good...unless it's a cute little birdy going "cheep cheep"
    Last edited by bright sparks; 02-20-2015 at 09:02 PM.

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by bright sparks View Post
    As soon as I read who your insurer is I contacted my broker. I'm with State Farm and they cover me for 5 children plus my own so I'm not sure what you are being told by the agent but it is incorrect. I have even had then show me the clause and exact wording in their insurance guide. Also the day nurseries act doesn't say anything about ratios pertaining to home daycare providers so not sure why they are saying this. I pay a flat rate of $250 a year. Keep in mind that not all insurers offer the same coverage so saving $100 a year may be the worst decision someone makes. For me it's the coverage that's inportant not the rate...within reason. I've had auto claims and a house claim with SF and they handled things better than I could have ever hoped for. Inexpensive is one thing but that doesn't effect the quality. Cheap isn't always good...unless it's a cute little birdy going "cheep cheep"

Thank you Bright for checking with your broker. I also contacted State yesterday and dealt with Management as my original broker no longer works there. The Manager was thrown for a loop by what I was told by this previous broker and he said no such rules apply. He is looking into why I was given the information. Luckily it hasn't affected me so far as so many of my families had 2nd and 3rd children so the flow was okay over the years. I also feel dumb dumb because it has taken me a while to learn all the rules about licensed through an agency and private daycare differences. Basically this guy was giving me rules for agencies and i should have realized it at the time but I felt lucky to have found insurance, as my original home insurance company booted me off due to daycare. I called many companies and got a lot of 'no's, or very high rates. State's rates for me are same as yours. I wasn't aware of this Forum at the time to ask and that was the biggest downfall! Live and learn late sometimes... glad i've finally clued in. duh me.