Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Earlier opening time?

If a client wants you to open 30-15mins earlier than what you currently do would you be willing to do this? Would you charge a fee or just do it, if so what would you charge.

Expansive...
    If you give an inch, they'll take a mile! I wouldn't do it, but if I did, I would charge the same as my late pickup fees(an extra $20) Don't give anyone "special" treatment, or you'll probably end up getting taken advantage of in the end. What if they start showing up earlier than agreed upon?
    I used to do "special", but no more!(and I'm much happier sticking to my new rules)

Euphoric !
    Depends. If it not a big deal to me, I would think about it but I would expect that they pick up 30-15 mins earlier or pay for it. I don't work for free and I start work early enough so if they want earlier time, then they have to not expect me to do it for good will. Client not family or friends so don't do favours.

If their boss wanted them come to work 15-30 mins early, would they do free? No. they would want to get off work early or have little pay increase. They not do for no benefit.

I would charge a dollar a minute if they want not come early for pick up. Same as late collection. You want me to work longer than my business hours, then it $1 a minute both ends of the day.

**Make sure your contract is clear - you don't want this fee just when they come early 'cause you be getting up early every day and being ready for their child. Care will be available for extra monies every day and fees due every day. If they happen to sleep in, that does not mean that you don't get the extra fee.

If you agree to start early and finish early make that clear too in the contract and state that just because day care is still open after their picking up time, that does not mean care is available to them. The late pick up fees apply from when they should be there, not your normal closing time. Cover all possibles in the contract clearly.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Suzie_Homemaker For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Nope would never do it. I had one lady begging me to take her daughter at 7 instead of 730. She was willing to pay extra etc etc. she must have asked me about 5 times. It later came out that she really only wanted to keep her child at my daycare for 6 months until the spot opened in the center she wanted. She thought by telling me it was only for 6 months I would agree to it! Heck no!!! I was so ticked that she wanted me to make changes for her and then to tell me I was just temporary! All this and she hadn't even met me yet or looked at my daycare space.

If you want to work it that is up to you but I would charge an additional fee on top of your daily fee. Also realize what you do for one should be available to all imo. I am not flexible with my hours - no way no how!!!

Starting to feel at home...
    I did it once, once and NEVER again! I open at 730 am , I agreed to help a neighbour, and take their baby at 630am, and they were supposed to be gone by 930 am (parent was a school bus driver) one morning he shows up at 615, because he wanted to grab some Mcdonalds on his way to work.....I terminated.
    It really sucks, but in this business you cant do favours, you will be taken advantage of in a heartbeat.

Euphoric !
    It's totally up to you but make sure you get paid extra for it, you shouldn't work for free, nor should they expect you too!

For myself, I would much rather be lenient on my end time rather than start time. However, I am not a morning person and find 730 already too early LOL.

Starting to feel at home...
    I wouldn't do it. It's your choice, but if you do decide to open early, make sure to get paid extra!

Outgoing
    I couldn't do it. I open at 730, but my earliest family usually comes around 745. I'm pretty sure she knows that if she's any earlier she should warn me, because I sleep until the very latest I can, before I have to get ready. I'm not a morning person.

Outgoing
    Definitely not. I technically open at 7:30, but only have one that arrives then. The others are all just before 8. I absolutely hate having to get up for just one kid....especially when she arrives a good 15 minutes late, at least twice a week, with no warning. I could have slept in another 15 minutes!!

Even if it works for you (your kids are up earlier than that, or you're a morning person, or whatever) I still wouldn't do it. Agreed with the above poster, if you give an inch, they'll take a mile...and then another, and then another. When I first opened I said I was "somewhat flexible" on my closing time of 5:30. What I meant was, if your meeting runs late at work, or the weather is really bad, and you're 10 minutes late, not a big deal. What the family decided was, they could show up whenever they felt like it and I wouldn't care. They started showing up 10-15 minutes late every day, then a half hour, then an entire HOUR! When I put my foot down, they threw my "flexibility" in my face and accused me of lying to them, saying there was no way they could guarantee a pickup by 5:30 on the dot. This, and many many other behavioural issues with the kids, led me to terminate them. I now close at 5, and late fees are charged if pickup is after that.

I'd be afraid they'd start taking advantage of you opening early by either showing up earlier and earlier, putting you in a bad spot.

If you do decide to do it, I'd be extremely firm with what you agree to, and establish strict times and extra fees if pickups/drop-offs go outside those times. And I'd charge extra for SURE.

Euphoric !
    I open at 7:30 technically but I don't have any families before 7:45 so I am changing this to be my official opening time. I wouldn't do earlier, even if they left earlier, the rest of the kids would be there and it would be a very long day.