Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Shy

Opening Daycare in London, On

Hi everyone, my name is Cathy and I am going to be opening my own daycare this summer. I had my second child last May and we moved to a nice subdivision, so I decided to start looking after kids! I was at my previous job for almost 15 years, and due to downsizing my employment was on the verg of extinction
    I would appreciate anyone's help, tips, or advise. I am nervous and excited!! I currently have one client booked for the summer part time, and I am hoping to obtain a couple more!! Thank you!!!

Euphoric !
    Welcome Cathy!

I find this site to be extremely helpful and I'm sure you will too Is there anything specific you are needing help with right now or just random tips and advice? There is a search bar just under where it says "my profile", that will allow you to see past threads as well

My biggest regret is accepting part time because I am limited to my numbers (which I think most of us are but the number is different for every province), so that is my number one tip for you!! Now, if someone wants part time, they have to pay for a full time spot. I do have a holiday fee though that they pay for days they are not here if I'm given notice.

Outgoing
    Welcome Cathy...I certainly have to agree with 5 little monkeys regarding part time.. come Jan. 2016 you will only be allowed 5 children in your care...and NO MORE than 2 under 2...so I will NOT be having any part timers....I love this site...hope you will too.!

Euphoric !
    Become familiar with Bill 10 which is what SandyLynn is referring to. Yes, in Jan you will be limited to 5 kids and 2 kids under 2...but this will also now include your own children (so you will be able to only have 3 kids in addition to your own). My understanding is that these rules are in effect for you now as the children needed to be in your care prior to Dec to be exempt from the number limitations until Jan 2016

Outgoing
    I'm still wondering though....I haven't seen anything in writing in the paper, or on the news....so how would one know about the current rules that are in effect?

Euphoric !
    This is where it gets complicated because....well....o ur handy dandy government sorted it all out. I can't possibly be straight forward. Any children brought in after Royal Assent (Dec 4th, 2014) are to follow the current rules. HOWEVER, nothing is being enforced until Proclamation which is projected to happen in the fall at the earliest....or so they say...but who knows. This is my understanding based on a letter I received from the Ministry a few weeks back. The regulatory process is underway this week. CICPO has won a seat at this. Kim LeGallais will be attending this week's meeting. We're not sure how the rest will play out, but we got a seat, which is HUGE!!!

So....Proclamation is the time to be fully compliant. But, who knows when they'll do that, which is why being compliant now makes sense.

I have some updates regarding Bill 10 and what's going on...will post separately for those not on FB who wish to keep up.