Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Starting to feel at home...

5 year old throwing fits

I've watced this girl(6 in May), since she was a baby. She's best friends with my 6 year old. Lately this little girl will throw fits if I ask her to do something she doesn't like.....eat your whole lunch if you want seconds of your favorite, pick up toys, wash hands, even if she doesn't want the snack I've prepared. She'll stand there mouth wide open, slobbering, screaming mama! I ignore them.

They've since progressed to drop offs and randomly during the day. Only when mom drops off. She will throw herself at mom, wrap her arms and legs around her(I need to peel her off), go limp when mom picks her up to put her in my house. Always screaming mama. Baby talks all day.

Mom says there's no change at home with anything. I also know there aren't many rules at home, so she's likely ticked that I have rules. But I have since she was an infant. Mom has always bribed her with treats and quit for a while, but now at drop offs it's " I'll buy a special game to play tonight. And a treat. And we will go out for dinner'. This kid won't even come play with my kids anymore. Nothing happened. She's become quite bossy and won't play if the others won't obey her.

I had a baby nearly a year ago, so didn't have her for a few months. But she still came and played during my time off.

Her mom thinks this is because she 'needs' her mom. And just really misses her. The mom only works about 7 days a month. That's all the time I have this kid for daycare. And it's not just my house. It's whereever she goes. Any friends house it's the same deal.

Any insight?

Outgoing
    I think you've covered all the bases. Mom is bribing her with treats so why on earth would she ever stop? Whining is manipulation and bribing is negotiating. So as long as mom is negotiating with her daughter to stop manipulating her, it will continue.

It is annoying, I know. I got so fed up one morning with a parent for the same thing. 4yo dcb was whining and mom was bribing. It went on and on for 15 minutes. I do daycare in the main part of my house, its a bungalow and not very big. We could not get on with our day while this was going on at the front door. I got so fed up I said to her "are you done?" It was rude, I know but come on! She finally put an end to it and left. Peace returned.

Ultimately, she isn't your child so you can only do what you are doing. Ignoring it.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to kindertime For This Useful Post: