Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Cloth diapers

Starting to feel at home...
    More work = more pay. If I had a cloth diaper client who was expecting me to change their child's bum 7x/day everyday they will get charged more. I do take cloth diapers but they are changed when everyone else is, and I haven't come across any who needed to get changed that often (maybe the cloth isn't as absorbable). If there are snaps the parents are expected to do this and as for cleaning poop off the cloth ....umm no way (that's how you can get pinworms and all kinds of parasites). What I have told parents to do is to place a baby wipe under the bum that way if the child poops it goes straight into the baby wipe and you can just throw it out. If I was buying disposable paper plates and cutlery or doing crafts everyday of course I would charge more. If I am spending more money I expect to get compensated for that. A lot of providers can't afford to do things like that because it costs them more money and it might not be in their budget, but that doesn't make them any less of a provider than one who does crafts everyday. I offer organic/gluten free foods at my daycare so should I charge the same daily rates as someone who buys non-organic food? No way, if it costs more I charge more!
    Last edited by Emma H; 02-25-2015 at 03:28 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Emma H For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
    I don't charge extra for cloth and I have a couple of them that are in them here. I actually openly offer all my clients if they are interested, what they are all about. Our clients/parents pay us so much of their hard earned money to take care of their treasures i'm all for showing them how to save a little here and there.

what i really want to know is why would you charge more? Its the parents that have to take them home nightly and do loads of laundry, and bring them back and forth, if anything its more work for them but the choice they have made and understand using cloth diapers. I don't understand, nor would I ever charge more to do that. You wipe poop off of a regular diapered bum no? there is no difference with cloth diapers, especially if your wrapping it all up and tossing it in a wet bag. I even remove solids for my clients so they just have to toss everything in the wash and return clean. I feel like charging more is quite petty no? Your job is to take care of peoples children, whatever that takes. If we were to charge more for lets say, disposable plates and cutlery because we don't want to do so many dishes, would you? or, if you do crafts everyday instead of once and a while you should charge more? Come on providers, this is our job, our life, our love, don't get caught up in all the tiny details of the great little lives we get to be a part of.

sorry for the rant but this bugs me!

If a parent has chosen cloth diapers for their children they should not be discriminated against and charged more or turned down by a provider based on diaper choice....kinda ridiculous if you ask me.
    Thank you for your defense Amanda KDT. Beanie's response is why I don't post here often, don't like to feel that I have to defend myself. I was thinking that I would need to be laundering these diapers as well as changing the child 7 times/day but on second thought unlikely that would happen in 10 hours.lol By the way I think it's great if parents use cloth diapers, if they choose to. I used them on my second child years ago.
    By the way Beanie, I also toss the poop but wouldn't think to mention it because I'm not petty, despite being accused of it. Perhaps you could ask for clarification and not jump to conclusions before you start putting people on the defensive.
    I also don't charge extra for craft materials.

Outgoing
    By the way, just wanted to say thanks for the useful info and that I'll be sending the dirty diapers home for washing!lol

Euphoric !
    Ladies, ladies, ladies....grab a glass of wine and watch survivor and Nashville or am I the only loser who spends my Wednesday nights doing this?!? Lol

Remember, tone gets lost over text and many many miscommunications can occur. I'm sure your both wonderful dc ladies but obviously do things differently...that's okay

I like to try to stick to discussing the issues and not attack people personally because we don't know each other personally.

I should also mention I've taken my sleeping pills and am getting drowsy so I hope I made sense!!! Lol

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Now I know why I rarely comment on this board anymore ...

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Crayola kiddies For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by Crayola kiddies View Post
    Now I know why I rarely comment on this board anymore ...
    I hope you will continue to comment! I always liked your posts

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Crayola kiddies View Post
    I am cloth diaper friendly .... I don't charge extra .... The diapers must cone ready to go and there must be a wet bag ... The diapers must go home nightly and I do not rinse or dump.... I love cloth diapers !!
    What do you do for the liners? I have one little one that I suggested using the liners as it would make for easier cleaning, but I have a low flow, and am concerned that it might block the toilet.

Quote Originally Posted by ebhappydc View Post
    I bought an All Purpose Canister from the dollar store for $3.00 and keep the wet bag in there as further protection from smell. I put it outside front door near end of day. No extra fees here. I use same cover if just pee and just replace the cloth diaper and wipe with moist cloth. If it's poop then I roll the whole thingr up with the washcloth and cover and stick it n wet bag. No dumping. I get rid of it ASAP. Has worked well. Mom knows the ones that have the covers are the poop ones. mom supplies everything and washcloths too.
    Have you tried having a diaper box with a mix of water and baking soda to use with the cloths. I have found since our our air dryed, that they can get a bit stiff, and the baking soda water helps to soften then, and cleans with out having to use soaps

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by 33 Daiseys View Post
    What do you do for the liners? I have one little one that I suggested using the liners as it would make for easier cleaning, but I have a low flow, and am concerned that it might block the toilet.
    Well if the parent wants to use liners that's fine but I don't dump or rinse so I don't have to worry about my toilet .... I just roll up the diaper and put it in the wet bag and it all goes home at the end of the day for the parent to deal with. And back to the original poster I also would not agree to 7 diaper changes a day .... Really ? Mid morning before nap after nap and after any poop ... That's plenty.... The parent is just micro managing ... Unless of course the child is a heavy wetter then maybe an extra one would be needed.... But I also do t allow for children to walk around with cups so they get a drink at morning snack lunch and aft snack.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Crayola kiddies For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Emma H View Post
    lol there goes Suzie Homemaker on another one of her escapades with her metaphors talking about something completely irrelevant. gotta love it
    I know......but on another topic, can you pm me about that de worm stuff for people. Thank you

16. The Following User Says Thank You to 33 Daiseys For This Useful Post: