Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Euphoric !
    I have never been brave enough to bring my group to a drop in centre. I am worried they would go haywire or take off or something and I would look bad.

I actually brought them once when I only had 3 kids as the others were sick. That was manageable but 6 kids? No way...hats off to you all!

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by torontokids View Post
    I have never been brave enough to bring my group to a drop in centre. I am worried they would go haywire or take off or something and I would look bad.

I actually brought them once when I only had 3 kids as the others were sick. That was manageable but 6 kids? No way...hats off to you all!
    I take my crew to all kinds of places, they are pretty much always the best behaved in the room. I have bright orange pinnies that they wear so that I can easily keep an eye on them. Especially in winter I get restless staying home everyday, so I brave taking them out.

I actually had a mom comment on how well they behaved and listened when were getting ready to leave. I told her it comes from alot of practice! Lol
    Last edited by AmandaKDT; 03-04-2015 at 12:35 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to AmandaKDT For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by AmandaKDT View Post
    I tell parents at our intro meeting that alot of what I do is about the process, not the product. I do very few "crafts", as opposed to sensory art experiences. But I do take pictures of the kids doing their art or sensory stuff and email it to the parents.

I, too, will do the handprint stuff only occasionally when it is meant as a present for the parent, it is way too much work for me - alot of the time the "crafts" are 3/4 adult and 1/4 kid participation.

I really wouldn't worry about the parents getting a cute craft that "looks like something". You are there to care for the kids and provide learning experiences for the kids. They are developing all kinds of skills while smearing that brown paint on the paper.
    I do a lot of sensory activities too. I always tell the parents that they will never have a picture or craft sent home that was done by me. That Ladybug may look like something otherworldly, but it will be their child's work. I agree it's the process not the end product.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bright sparks For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by AmandaKDT View Post
    I take my crew to all kinds of places, they are pretty much always the best behaved in the room. I have bright orange pinnies that they wear so that I can easily keep an eye on them. Especially in winter I get restless staying home everyday, so I brave taking them out.

I actually had a mom comment on how well they behaved and listened when were getting ready to leave. I told her it comes from alot of practice! Lol
    Where did you get your pinnies? I have been looking for some for them to wear at the park and they were all giant (for school aged kids). I don't know what it is though, I feel more comfortable bringing my group to a park that is more open then to an Early Years Centre. Maybe I feel I would be judged or something. I don't know.

Euphoric !
    I know what you mean torontokids...i have gone to indoor places, mall, parks, library etc but I haven't gone to a play group yet. When we do go out, they are well behaved and a lot of people comment on that but I think given a large room with new toys and many other children, mine would go nuts!!! Lol. Maybe one day I'll give it a shot ha ha. At the most, I only have 4 so it might not be too bad?

Right now (well for awhile) my two 3 year olds are acting up when parents come and even though I redirect them or even put them on time out, it's not decreasing the bad behaviour!! Ugh!

Pinnies...I've often seen shirts at second hand stores that are pretty much similar. You could cut the sleeves off and cut the sides so that it went over them like a pinnie?
    Last edited by 5 Little Monkeys; 03-04-2015 at 12:57 PM.

Expansive...
    My pinnies are homemade - my very wonderful mother made them for me. But t-shirts in a bright colour would work really well too.

I never worry about being judged, though I know that I have eyes on me and everyone knows I have a daycare. Maybe it is the years of being a classroom teacher before the daycare, I became very used to having everything I did be critiqued, watched and evaluated. But at the end of the day, I do it because it makes me happy to get out of the house and the kids enjoy going.