Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Bad feeling

Starting to feel at home...

Bad feeling

Well, I had a child lines up for mid March and parent's cancelled at the last minutes, unfortunately, they lost their $200.00 deposit. I had an interview last night to fill the spot at first the parents told me that she has off every second Friday doesn't mind paying me anyways. In the evening, I receive an e-mail that they were wondering, if I would do 8 days, I say no, would you do 9, and I said yes.

This morning she asked me to send her my references, I send her 2 references and then she asked me to give her past references. I decided to change my hours for this family, I normally work 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. sometimes 5:30 p.m. every second week but the family that arrives at 5:30 p.m. pay me for my time. If, I take this family, they would arrive at 6:30 a.m. until 5:30 p.m.

Why, do I get this feeling that this family is going to drive me crazy.
    Last edited by pink; 02-25-2015 at 03:33 PM.

Expansive...
    Are you sure you even want to extend your hours in the first place? I would think very carefully about extending your hours...6:30-5:30 is a VERY long day, not only for you but for the child too. I am asking because I have done it before where I agreed to having a DCB here from 6:45-5:30 and I sooooo regretted it later on. Nowadays I stick to my hours and I don't extend for anyone, ever, even if it's only by 5-10 mins.

Thanks for the advise Fun&care, I'm not a morning person, getting up at 6:00 a.m. will be hard for me for sure.

Euphoric !
    Have you already committed to this?

I had a bad feeling about a mom during our initial meeting and remember saying to my husband "I think she is going to be the first family I will have to terminate" ........and I was right!! I wish I had gone with my gut but in the end I did learn a few lessons and it all worked out in the end but still....I should have listened to myself from the beginning LOL

If you are already hesitant about taking this family on, I would move on and find another family (unless finances don't allow, I understand that!) but IMO, it's just not worth the grief!

Euphoric !
    So you think this will be a pest client but you still cut your days to save them money and also add on time every day? Why?

It funny how the ones which lose your money 'cause they want 4 days a week, also need longer hours. I not accommodate these people any more. These are my hours and if you need longer, go somewhere who works longer. If you want to come here, then you need to come in my business hours. I not increase my day for client, esp for free. Pretty sure they would not work longer day for free if I wanted them to either.

Outgoing
    I completely agree with the others. If you can, I would walk away from this before you're committed.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to superfun For This Useful Post:

Unfortunately, I need the income, I'm down to 3 kids. I recently, change my rate to $38.00 a day on all new clients, this particular client, I would charge $40.00 a day. I advertise on Kijji, I have a website, I wish, I had lot of inquiries it comes and goes. I also have a feeling that if I don't take these clients it will be at least May/June until I find a replacement. It's our business, and we seen to be always at client's mercy grrr

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by pink View Post
    Unfortunately, I need the income, I'm down to 3 kids. I recently, change my rate to $38.00 a day on all new clients, this particular client, I would charge $40.00 a day. I advertise on Kijji, I have a website, I wish, I had lot of inquiries it comes and goes. I also have a feeling that if I don't take these clients it will be at least May/June until I find a replacement. It's our business, and we seen to be always at client's mercy grrr
    Is it possible to take the 6am start on a 3 month trial? I did just this myself some year back for same reason - three vacancy and beginning to panic. But it was super hard.

For me, not such issue in summer time but when Christmas come and the snow, it mean getting up really early to get all done before 6am.

If you cannot take on trial, make sure your contact permits you to give notice. Then when things pick up a bit, you have option to decide if you want to keep this client or replace with someone who not need such early start.

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by pink View Post
    I understand needing to take a client to make money so I totally feel for you!! I like Suzie's suggestion to put them on a 3 month trial. If you are finding that it's not working out for you, you can term and use the different schedule as a reason. Hopefully by than you will have some other inquiries and can fill it with someone who doesn't need extended hours.

Euphoric !
    It is very common where I live for parents to work an extra hour a day in order to get alternate Fridays off. For that reason since they get their full pay check plus a day off I deserve to be paid for the full week even on the weeks they only come 4 days. Either charge a surcharge for the extra time per day but let them come on the Friday or charge the regular rate but let them know you expect them to keep the child home on the Fridays because they are using the time on the other days and then tell them what the extra fee will be for the extra day of care should they need it - even if it is just an extra $20 it sends home the message.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post: