Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What should I do?

Just need some advise...I have been looking after a great little guy for over a year now. When I signed him on, it was agreed at the time that my closing would extend for 15 minutes to accommodate the parents. After about six months, the hours changed back to my original 5:00 closing, and I had a new contract signed reflecting this. Recently (since Christmas), the pick ups have been later and more frequent. I took advise from this forum to have him ready by 5:00, and at drop off, I would say "see you at 5:00". But today was my limit! He didn't get picked up until 5:20, so I mentioned to them I have evening commitments, and closing is at 5:00. They reminded me of the original verbal agreement we had when he started, but I told them the new signed contract reflected the 5:00 pick up. Then they suggested they would find another caregiver. I was upset they would turn so fast, and told them it might be a good idea. I've been a caregiver for over 10 years, and honestly, I'm tired of being taken advantage of. This is a big chunk of money I'm losing, not to mention the sweetest little guy. I don't know what to do. I do have other potential clients waiting. I also feel guilty because I know they are going to have problems finding a caregiver in their area for the hours they want.

Sorry for the long vent.

Sorry you have to deal with this. We all do at one point or another.

Dcm is throwing an adult version of a tantrum. She knows she signed the new agreement, this is why she would tack on a few more minutes of being late each time. And even at a 5:20 pick up, if she did indeed believe she was following the original contract then technically she was still late by 5 min and didn't care. The plus side is you do have potential clients waiting. That puts you in the position of power. She is either bluffing or she is cutting off her nose to spite her face and will be seeking new care very soon.

Why on earth feel guilty. You have absolutely nothing to feel guilty about. You are standing up and upholding your contract. Good for you. After 10 years I think you owe it to yourself to find clients that respect you and your business. DCM feels entitled and now you are taking that away. Boo Hoo. Let her learn a lesson. It's a shame dcb will miss out the most. Leaving a great and warm comfortable environment over a mere 20 min. of time.

I would contact your waiting list. Fill the spot, present dcm with current updated signed contract on 5:00pm closing and then terminate care.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Other Mummy For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Don't feel guilty! Mom might have been caught off guard and embarrassed and the option to leave might have been a knee jerk reaction to those feelings. If they need longer care than it's in the best interest of all involved. If they don't need past 5, I'm sure they will stay, they'd be silly not too!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

I just had the same with a little boy. They said they be here by 5. It slowly went to 515 then 520 then 530. I said no I have plans with my daughters activities and I need to leave by 5. They said sorry and went back to pick up for 5. BUT it lasted two wks then 510 came and boy is still here. I teminated. Our schedules weren't working and they needed a later time I was not going to provide. Yes we miss the kids but it's our business and we need to take care of our selves too. Also in my case my daughter comes first. I'm not going to keep missing her evening activites because they decide to come late.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to babydom For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    If you have other clients in line then I would send a note (or in person) and say: In follow up of our conversation on X date I am requesting confirmation of your plan forward as I have families waiting for your space but don't want to fill it before you are ready.

Something along those lines of noting that you are ready to fill the space if they chose, if they chose to stay they need to abide by their contract or you will let them go.

They were indeed throwing a tantrum and hoping to scare you in fear of losing pay...you need to let them know you have no concerns if they leave and that you won't let them twist your arms in fear of them leaving!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Lee-Bee For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I do not stand for late pick ups! If they agreed to 5 then the old verbal agreement is no longer effective! When you changed it to 5 did you talk to them about it or just give them the new contract to sign? I say this because if you didn't say anything then they might just think that your verbal agreement still stands - that even though the agreement is your rules that you are making an exception for them. Hey you already broke your rule once so unless you actually said that it is 5 now no matter what agreement you made before was then I can understand their side.

We have to set our own rules and stick to them or this is what happens.

Tell mom the new time is 5 and if it doesn't work for them then you consider that their 2 weeks notice. Start advertising immediately and fill the spot.

Quote Originally Posted by mickyc View Post
    I do not stand for late pick ups! If they agreed to 5 then the old verbal agreement is no longer effective! When you changed it to 5 did you talk to them about it or just give them the new contract to sign? I say this because if you didn't say anything then they might just think that your verbal agreement still stands - that even though the agreement is your rules that you are making an exception for them. Hey you already broke your rule once so unless you actually said that it is 5 now no matter what agreement you made before was then I can understand their side.

We have to set our own rules and stick to them or this is what happens.

Tell mom the new time is 5 and if it doesn't work for them then you consider that their 2 weeks notice. Start advertising immediately and fill the spot.
    True about sticking to our rules. I did go over the contract with them, word for word, and it did work for the last half of last year, its just since Christmas for some reason. Mom drops him off later, and i guess wanders into work late. So she figures she can work late to make up the time.

Well, I learned my lesson. She did drop him off this morning like nothing even happened, so I'll talk to her calmly tonight. She might have just been crying wolf. I really don't want to lose the boy.

Thanks for the advise

Euphoric !
    Also want to add - do you not have a late pick up fee? I charge $1 for every minute past 5. Once it is 5:20 then it is full days rate. I also would not even let it get to that point. I would start phoning or texting by 5:05! My contract reads that a reserve the right to terminate care in the event pickups are late.

Quote Originally Posted by mickyc View Post
    Also want to add - do you not have a late pick up fee? I charge $1 for every minute past 5. Once it is 5:20 then it is full days rate. I also would not even let it get to that point. I would start phoning or texting by 5:05! My contract reads that a reserve the right to terminate care in the event pickups are late.
    I don't have a late pick up fee, but I think I'm going to start. All my clients have been so wonderful, I never felt any need for it. Thanks for all the great advice!

Outgoing
    So did you get a chance to talk to her at pickup time? Did she say anything about being on time from now on?