Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home...
    Wait what doing to be 15 dollars per day?

Outgoing
    The proposed UCC (Universal Child Care) that the Federal NDP is going for includes subsidized daycare across the country, only charging parents $15/day. Because we are unlicensed, we wouldn't be a part of that - just like right now, agency providers can take subsidized clients and we can't. If $15/day care is offered across the country, and ICP's are charging anywhere from $30-$60, based on their location, who in their right mind would choose an ICP? That is the problem looming. The Liberals, both federally and provincially, are jumping on the UCC bandwagon in order to gain NDP support and get the Conservatives out.

The plan is ludicrous, because there simply isn't enough money to support the program. I personally think Mulcair's (the leader of the NDP) head is in the clouds. This is what was implemented in Quebec a few years ago, where everybody was offered care at $7/day. The province now can't afford it, and they are moving to a sliding scale, which is already available in Ontario to people who go through Agency providers. However, if they get into power and implement the program anyways, it will be a few years before they have to make changes in order to financially sustain it...and by then all ICP's will have been either forced out of business or into Agencies. We'll still be screwed.

So then bu right all of the afer school programs are now illegal too. stupid stupid. I swear i gave myself an ulcer.

Quote Originally Posted by cfred View Post
    Another thing to consider.......the next Federal Election is in the fall. If PCs don't win then there's a solid chance that UCC will come into play (Universal Child Care). If that happens, and we're all still unlicensed, your options are pretty clear: Close your doors (who can compete with $15/day) or join an agency (and learn to love making less than minimum wage). If you're not active, you might want to get active. If this goes to a federal level, we'll have much bigger problems than we do now.
    hence why i am burning my butt to be in a financial position that if things go this way, then i can close my doors.

Euphoric !
    Yep. My boyfriend's moving in with me. I'd love to say it's for more romantic reasons than Bill 10, but it's not. We need to consolidate with this on the horizon. We love each other, but still....I hate that this stupid bill is the actual catalyst. But...we're still working and fighting. We will welcome anyone aboard who wants to help out. There's still lots to be done and we're not quitting. A big part of the fight, for me anyway, is the outright dishonesty. Our reputations have all been brought under fire by this government and it's high time to see that rectified.

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyEight View Post
    As far as I know, summer camps are still exempt because they only run for a short time frame. I believe if it is less than 10 weeks, then they do not fall under Bill 10, which is for "continuous care." It's ridiculous - they are still allowed to cram a gazillion kids into a camp with one instructor, and we can't have more than 5, including our own.
    That makes me furious, but honestly I'm not surprised. It's not like the government is ever logical about anything.

The proposed UCC (Universal Child Care) that the Federal NDP is going for includes subsidized daycare across the country, only charging parents $15/day. Because we are unlicensed, we wouldn't be a part of that - just like right now, agency providers can take subsidized clients and we can't. If $15/day care is offered across the country, and ICP's are charging anywhere from $30-$60, based on their location, who in their right mind would choose an ICP? That is the problem looming. The Liberals, both federally and provincially, are jumping on the UCC bandwagon in order to gain NDP support and get the Conservatives out.

The plan is ludicrous, because there simply isn't enough money to support the program. I personally think Mulcair's (the leader of the NDP) head is in the clouds. This is what was implemented in Quebec a few years ago, where everybody was offered care at $7/day. The province now can't afford it, and they are moving to a sliding scale, which is already available in Ontario to people who go through Agency providers. However, if they get into power and implement the program anyways, it will be a few years before they have to make changes in order to financially sustain it...and by then all ICP's will have been either forced out of business or into Agencies. We'll still be screwed.
    Oh my god I didn't know this! I honestly started sweating after I read your post Lol.... If they do decided to do that in the future does that mean taxes will be going up even more??!!! Is it just me but I noticed the other day after grocery shopping all the prices went up for organic food and non organic !!! Has anyone else noticed this ?

Outgoing
    The proposed UCC (Universal Child Care) that the Federal NDP is going for includes subsidized daycare across the country, only charging parents $15/day. Because we are unlicensed, we wouldn't be a part of that - just like right now, agency providers can take subsidized clients and we can't. If $15/day care is offered across the country, and ICP's are charging anywhere from $30-$60, based on their location, who in their right mind would choose an ICP?
    Just a quick question... do you know what the subsidy amount is proposed to be? You are right, in Que. parents paid $5/day from 1997 till 2004 then $7/ day until Oct 2014(now its $7.30) but in 2010, before we all unionized, we were all getting $19/ day/ child subsidy. (so that's $26/child/day) (Plus $10/day for 18m and younger) Certainly it was not enough, (that's why we unionized) but if the NDP is proposing a $15/day cost for the parents, what will the subsidy be for the daycare provider? If you know.

Outgoing
    I don't think it's been discussed that deeply, or at least not with the public. I was planning on doing some research on the topic though, so if I find anything I will post. Being as the election won't even happen until the Spring, it is probably little more than a bargaining chip used to sway voters... you've got to admit, "affordable, accessible childcare at only $15 a day across Canada" sounds pretty good to parents who don't realize what it means or what it will entail.

If this ever happens looks like I will be moving to the US lol not like I get much being here free health care my @ss