Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Outgoing

How to Tell a Family Last Spot Taken?

I had a wonderful family come Friday nite for interview...said they really liked everything and they had to check on Monday with their employer if they could get flex time to pick up their child by the end of my daycare day. They did not think it would be a problem, but had to confirm first. So, that's fine, but i'm having an interview with someone else tonight. I know whoever gives the deposit first gets the spot and i prefer teachers which is my tonight's interview, but then what words do i use to tell the first family from Friday that the spot is gone? I know you snooze you lose, but they didn't really snooze...was the weekend in between. I think they're going to be very upset with me.... too bad so sad i know but these are realllly nice people.... thanks bunches.... and i know that neither of them may sign up, but just want to be prepared in case i get a situation. i know, shouldn't count my chicks.... tx!
    Last edited by ebhappydc; 03-01-2015 at 05:54 PM. Reason: forgot to add:

Euphoric !
    Don't count chickens.

This second family might not be so nice face-to-face. They might not like you. Why stress about a situation which isn't real yet? Make no sense.

When second interview done, you will know who you would like. If first family, sit tight and see if hours work out. If they don't, then they aren't option unless you want change hours. If you prefer teacher and like second family, then offer place to teacher.

I not give place to first to give money. I offer place to my preference and hope I am their preference too, if not, go to next in line.

Once have contract and deposit from prefered client, then say to other that sorry, but better fit has already handed in their paperwork and place is gone.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Suzie_Homemaker For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    One way I have handled this is to let the family know that after some reflection I feel the other family is a better fit for your current group. I will usually say something like it is an older child and they are close in age to a couple of the other children. Families always know I am interviewing others and a decision will be made based on best match.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to torontokids For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    Do whatever works best for you and your family! If you like the second family more and their schedule works better for you, go with them. Another thing I also consider is the length of time they are going to have their child in my care.

I had this happen to me over the weekend. I had a family who wanted the spot on Saturday but I had another interview on Sunday. I liked the family I met with on Sunday more so when Saturdays family called me last night I told them the family that was suppose to be moving changed their mind and the spot won't be open anymore but I could put them on my waiting list. They were a little disappointed but said they wanted to be put on my list. This way you aren't hurting their feelings and just in case family B doesn't work out I have a good chance of a back up plan!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Emma H For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by Emma H View Post
    I had a family who wanted the spot on Saturday but I had another interview on Sunday. I liked the family I met with on Sunday more so when Saturdays family called me last night I told them the family that was suppose to be moving changed their mind and the spot won't be open anymore but I could put them on my waiting list.
    Do what best for you but don't lie. Make general statement if feel explain needed beyond saying the place is taken. Lying affects you credibility and when you work with children, credibility very important.

What they don't know won't hurt them. I would rather tell a white lie and potentially have a back up plan than tell family a I liked family b more than them. As far as I know many daycare providers tell families during interviews to get back to them as soon as possible because they are interviewing other families meanwhile there are no other families. That would also be considered a lie but many do this. So, how does this effect my credibility, I would love to know
    Last edited by Emma H; 03-02-2015 at 06:32 AM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Emma H For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I understand what Suzie is saying. Being caught in a lie will obviously affect your credibility, even if with just that one family. However, it's never that easy! That family will tell others and in a business where word of mouth is so important, it can be damaging.

I live in a fairly small city so there are often times my interviewing families know each other or know families in my care already. I have to be careful if I'm going to tell a little white lie! Lol

12. The Following User Says Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

I personally don't think telling someone a spot isn't available will affect my credibility no matter the reason I give them. I just know I could never tell someone I liked them less, I feel that would be hurtful

I don't think you have to tell a family that you liked them less. You could just tell them that you found a family that was a better fit for the current children you have in care etc.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to flowerchild For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by Emma H View Post
    I personally don't think telling someone a spot isn't available will affect my credibility no matter the reason I give them. I just know I could never tell someone I liked them less, I feel that would be hurtful
    It's all about how you say it. I think most would likely say that family B was chosen because they fit in better (age, hours etc) so that you don't have to come right out and say that you liked them better than family A.

It's hurtful for sure when we don't get picked but it's also life. Most parents understand this I think. I know what you mean though. I hate telling families they didn't get picked so I changed the way I interview. (I wrote it out in a diff thread just recently)