Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home...

Stop spending money!!

Hi everyone

I am relocating into a bigger space (from condo to house) and I just want to keep buying things for the daycare! I think I have an addiction to shopping so when I tell myself it's just an investment for my business it makes it okay lol but its not okay. I keep spending so much money and I cant seem to figure out what's worth the investment and what isn't.
    For example I spent around $400 dollars on a felt board/felt stories/felt learning material and some multicultural lessons. Another $300 on the new Melissa & Doug snack&treat cart. I am obsessed Etsy so I thought it was a good idea to buy a felt garden with a mini felt apple tree for $200, wooden washing machine for $250 and a play pantry that "goes perfect" with a $350 Melissa & Doug play kitchen that I just had to have.
    Ugh, I regret spending my money because parents just really don't seem to care but at the same time I think everything looks so much nicer. I am already planning on spending $2000 on kid's furniture/storage (and other cr@p, of course) once I move.
    I would really like to know what you would spend your money on and what you wouldn't. I did have to spend more because I don't have kids and didn't have anything to start with but now I feel like I am just buying too much.

Euphoric !
    I also don't have my own kids and have a HUGE shopping problem lol.

However, I think you are overspending. I just took a quick peek at prices for the M&D cart and they are $150-$200 from what I am seeing. A really cute kidkraft washing machine is around $100-$150. I got my wooden play kitchen from kidkraft at costco for $180 on sale.

I am frugal (aka cheap!!) and will shop used before I buy new though. I almost never buy any toys/large pieces/shelving etc unless it's on sale as they go on sale all the time!

I shop around before buying my expensive pieces too. I do a fair bit of online and across the border shopping which saves me lots!

Great....now I want the kidkraft stacking washing machine and dryer!!!! LOL
    Last edited by 5 Little Monkeys; 02-26-2015 at 02:10 PM.

Expansive...
    You need to create a budget and stick to it. Alocate a certain amount of money towards daycare supplies and equipment and only spend the money if you actually have it to spend. For sure you can claim it all as daycare expenses, but it gets to a point where you aren't making money anymore.

Unless I can help it I don't buy things new, second hand is just as good.

My furniture for the daycare I got from Ikea and definitely didn't spend anywhere near $2000 - that is too much!

I made my own felt board by gluing a sheet of felt onto a magnetic white board - cost about $20. I made my own felt board pieces to - actually asked the parents to volunteer cutting them out, which they were happy to do since it was for the benefit of their own kids.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AmandaKDT For This Useful Post:

I don't have a Costco membership although it seems like it would be wise to invest in one!! lol
    I try to shop around for best prices too but somehow everything I seem to find is minimum $200. When the treat cart first came out a couple months ago, Alberta was the first province to have it and I almost ended up paying $300+80 for shipping until I begged a store here.
    Does Costco have a lot of good Kidcraft items and/or wooden toys? I just can't seem to find things anywhere else at a reasonable price!!

Ikea is great but too far from where I am located (about 1-1.5hrs away)
    I remember seeing a great deal on table&chairs for $20 and stores here are asking $200 for the same thing..... might just be my location I guess
    I didn't even think to craft my own felt board!

Euphoric !
    Walmart also sells kidkraft but I know for my local store, I have to order it online or buy from the US.

Costco is 2 hours from me but we go to the "big city" often enough to make it worthwhile. Ikea is there too so I usually check online before we go and if I need too, make a stop there as well.

The kitchen I ordered from Costco was delivered to my house though which was awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by 5 Little Monkeys View Post
    I also don't have my own kids and have a HUGE shopping problem lol.

However, I think you are overspending. I just took a quick peek at prices for the M&D cart and they are $150-$200 from what I am seeing. A really cute kidkraft washing machine is around $100-$150. I got my wooden play kitchen from kidkraft at costco for $180 on sale.

I am frugal (aka cheap!!) and will shop used before I buy new though. I almost never buy any toys/large pieces/shelving etc unless it's on sale as they go on sale all the time!

I shop around before buying my expensive pieces too. I do a fair bit of online and across the border shopping which saves me lots!

Great....now I want the kidkraft stacking washing machine and dryer!!!! LOL
    Oh my god!!! I wanted that for the longest time but I decided to buy another one because it didn't really match my kitchen hahaah (crazy I know) but now I really want a wooden sensory bin and that's so expensive but when I get something in my head I end up just buying it for my own sanity ahahaha

Euphoric !
    I have the dark brown and grey kidkraft kitchen and now want the matching washing/dryer. I don't really have the room for it now that I rearranged the playroom though and bought 2 cube shelves instead of my old colourful toy bin shelf.

It's only $87 at walmart.com.......ug h!!! Thanks! lol

Euphoric !
    If you can afford it and it makes you happy, than by all means go for it! (I'm a terrible influence, sorry!)

Chapters had an amazing in deal on the Melissa and Doug grocery/lemonade stand. It was originally 135 but they had it on sale for 35 bucks!!!!! I wanted to grab three but then I realized I wouldn't really be saving hahahaah...like I said crazy