Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Taking Mat Leave

Hello fellow providers!

I am 30 weeks pregnant and will be taking some time off when baby comes. My boyfriend will be taking the 35 weeks parental leave so he will be helping me with the daycare and caring for baby. I am planning on closing the daycare for 2 weeks but im unsure of what to ask of the daycare parents for payment. Do home providers charge full rate when closed? Or half? Or nothing at all? I do charge for all holidays but not vacation pay. Im a little uncomfortable asking them to pay full rate but it will be really tight losing 2 weeks pay and then my boyfriend only making a portion of what we are used to. Anyways what do providers normally do? Thanks!

Euphoric !
    IMO, it was your choice to have a baby and take time off (which is natural, I'm not judging lol) so it's you that should take the loss not the dc families. It would be no different than if a dcm went on mat leave and wanted her spot held for her. It was her choice to have another child so she takes the loss not you.

Personally, aside from stats, if I'm not open and service isn't available, I'm not paid.

Euphoric !
    Depend on contract. If you have 10 day personal paid in your contract, you could use those for your mat leave. If you not have paid leave in your contract, then that not part of your agreement and you cannot charge parent. What does your contact have for time off?

EDIT - Just reread and see you don't charge when you are off. In that case, this same situation. You are taking time off, it not matter if that for vacation, sick, or mat leave. Your contract is you not available, they not pay. You not able to charge them. That not your contacted agreement.

Euphoric !
    I personally don't think you should be charging families (and this comes from someone that does charge for my own vacation time).

You are putting the family out by not being available. I think you greatly risk losing families by charging them for the weeks you are off with your baby. That said, you are 30 weeks along and haven't lost the families which is pretty good as I think families often jump ship when they find out you are expecting!

Starting to feel at home...
    Many daycare providers have it in their contact that their are allowed a certain numbers of paid days off each year for vacation, sick time, emergency or family leave, etc. I have known daycare providers who use these paid vacation or personal days for their mat leaves. However, it sounds like your vacation time or other personal time is unpaid, so unfortunately I don't think there's any easy way to continue to charge your families while you take the time off.

I have two wks paid vacation. One wk in July and one wk in sept. If I got pregnant I would take those two wks and use it for my mat leave paid. But then when July and sept came if I still wanted time off it be unpaid because the wks were used. In your case u don't charge for vacation so u wouldn't be able to charge ur families. U would have to take a two wk pay lost

Expansive...
    it sounds like you can take the 2 weeks at a loss and just look on the bright side you did not lose any families as they were loyal to you all during your preg.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Van For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Do you have a contract?

I do have a contract but since its a new year I am currently putting together a new one. It will be ready by the end of the week and the parents are aware of coming changes. I was thinking of adding something about Mat leave but I wanted to find out what other providers did in a similar situation.

Side note: most of my daycare parents are government workers and have lots of vacation and personal days. Taking two weeks off isnt too difficult for most of them so I wasnt too concerned about losing daycare kids.