Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home...

Baby shower shopping?

I currently have 2 pregnant moms and I wanted to buy them a small baby shower gift but I have no idea what to buy or if this is even something I should be doing. One family doesn't know what sex the baby will be and want to keep it a surprise and the other family will know at the end of March.
    Do any of you purchase baby shower gifts for your families? If you do, what do you buy for girls, boys and the "don't know's" lol
    Last edited by Emma H; 02-28-2015 at 10:43 AM.

Outgoing
    Were you invited to a shower for either of them? If so, then yes, of course. I have been invited to a dck's b-day, a dcm's wedding shower and subsequent wedding and then the baby shower. So gifts, yes. But, if not, then maybe not. The reason is, if you do this kind of thing for one, will you feel obligated to do it for all? If you plan to be a daycare provider for a long time, this could add up. However, if these families are making you feel like part of the family, then go right ahead. With some families, I might wonder then, even if I've made that gesture, will they pull their kids out of daycare anyway? If they did, I might feel insulted.

I haven't had any daycare families pregnant so I haven't been in your situation, but if I were I would for sure buy a small gift, as I am quite close with all my families and they buy for all my kids' birthdays and vice versa.
    For the one you know the sex of, maybe a cute outfit or a set of onsies/sleepers with a small baby toy. For the one who you don't know the sex of, why not a Babies R Us gift card along with a cute stuffie.

Oh no they are both really nice. The first family I have had their daughter in my care for about a year. They are very nice offer to take me out to dinner, Christmas gift etc. They want their second child to come to my daycare and they also referred me to their cousin who also will be coming. The second family is fairy new, they have been nice to me (never any problems) I just want to do something nice for them as well. I want to buy them a small gift nothing extravagant but I have no idea what to buy.

no I don't purchase anything, but I get a beautiful card, and make coupons for 1 night of extended care, ie child stays till 8pm and has dinner and a movie at my home. It gives the parents a chance to have a few hour themselves to go to to dinner.
    I think that time is so more appriciated then gifts. But them again, possibly that's me that needs that

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 33 Daiseys For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    I have always given a gift once baby arrives. It all depends on your budget. I picked up some cute sleepers and outfits on clearance at children's place.

Euphoric !
    I've only had one mom have a baby. We planned a play date for after the baby was born. I liked it better this way as we got to see the baby and I knew the gender.

All year I buy things on sale so it makes easy when birthdays, babies, Christmas etc comes around. I stick to $20-25 and under per gift....but most of my stuff is sale or clearance items so it's usually much less than that out of my pocket.

For babies I like to give clothes, pj's, hooded towels, blankets, bibs, sippy cups, bottles, things like that.

Quote Originally Posted by 5 Little Monkeys View Post
    I've only had one mom have a baby. We planned a play date for after the baby was born. I liked it better this way as we got to see the baby and I knew the gender.

All year I buy things on sale so it makes easy when birthdays, babies, Christmas etc comes around. I stick to $20-25 and under per gift....but most of my stuff is sale or clearance items so it's usually much less than that out of my pocket.

For babies I like to give clothes, pj's, hooded towels, blankets, bibs, sippy cups, bottles, things like that.
    Do you buy gifts for kids for all b-days and Christmas? I only do a loop bag type of thing for all holidays and b-days.

Euphoric !
    Yes I do goody bags for holidays ($5-10....although have cut back so prob closer to $5) and a $10-$15 birthday gift. Christmas and baby gifts are a bit more, $20-25

If I decide to close summers these prices will be decreasing though....I won't have as much extra money! Lol. I've already started to buy packs of books from scholastic for bdays and Xmas....$1.50 a book!

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by 33 Daiseys View Post
    no I don't purchase anything, but I get a beautiful card, and make coupons for 1 night of extended care, ie child stays till 8pm and has dinner and a movie at my home. It gives the parents a chance to have a few hour themselves to go to to dinner.
    I think that time is so more appriciated then gifts. But them again, possibly that's me that needs that
    This is a fantastic idea!!