Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Teething toys

Expansive...

Teething toys

How do you handle children bringing in teething items? I have always let parents bring in a hand-held teething toy if their child is really struggling with it or if the child is prone to biting their friends instead. Today I have one with an amber teething necklace. Are these small beads safe? Any danger that this will break?
    Opinions please???

Euphoric !
    I have a few teething toys here that I use if needed but I really haven't had to deal with them bringing their own (that I can remember lol). I'm fairly laid back about outside toys being brought in (it so rarely happens that it's not even an issue though) so I would likely allow them to bring one in. They all put toys in their mouth so that aspect doesn't bother me...just another toy to clean lol.

The amber teething necklaces....I actually bought one for a past child (remember my drooler??!?) and my last handful had one as well, it was totally fine and safe IMO. They are knotted before and after each bead so if it does break, it's not a huge hazard. I took it off my drooler for naptime because I wasn't sure what he'd do but the handful had had his on since just a few months old and his mom kept it on 24/7 and he never once played with it so I left his on. I have video monitors and would have been able to see if he got it off or Broke it though.

Euphoric !
    I only had one child ever wear a teething necklace. I removed it and put it in her back Pack. I just didn't feel safe with it on her. I have in my contract no necklaces. I know mom wasn't happy I took it off her but she never wore it here again. There was really no need for it either with this child. She never chewed on anything here.

Starting to feel at home...
    I have a child in my care who has one of those necklaces and for some reason I feel like it soothes her, sort of like a typical baby soother? I don't know, but she likes to touch it while she's trying to nap. She's a tosser and I've never had any issues with choking (thank god lol) or anything of that sort - so it's fairly safe I would say

Outgoing
    It has never come up here that a child would bring their own teething toy. But I don't allow any toys from home, so I'm sure that's why. I prefer to buy my own things that they can use and when they are done, I toss them.

On the necklace side, nope, not here. I had one child once who had a "teething necklace" made from some sort of wood beads. I just kept taking it off and putting it in his coat pocket. I also had a 2yo girl with a chain with charms on it. One of the charms was a playboy bunny...

I have since put it in my parent handbook, "I can't believe that I have to write this down..." So no, nothing around the neck. Why take the chance?

Quote Originally Posted by kindertime View Post
    I also had a 2yo girl with a chain with charms on it. One of the charms was a playboy bunny...
    lol!!!! I actually laughed out loud at this

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by Emma H View Post
    lol!!!! I actually laughed out loud at this
    Yah, I never found it to be all that funny, myself. Can you imagine when she grows up, when she realises what it stands for? Sheesh.

It's okay, some parents genuinely might not know what that means and innocently enough it is just a bunny lol

Expansive...
    I used the amber teething necklace on both my girls, they wore it 24/7. When they were younger I would take it off their necks at nap time and wrap it around the ankle instead. The necklace actually made it through both kids and never broke or wore out. The kids that wear them are usually pretty used to them and leave them alone - if they didn't then I would likely take it off.

The kids here sometimes come with play bracelets or necklaces on, my rule about them is that they can keep them as long as they stay on. If they take them off then I take them away and put in backpack. At nap time I always take them off. It is kind of annoying that parents send their kids with it on, but for me it isn't the end of the world. I draw the line at bringing actual toys from home, though.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to AmandaKDT For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Just a side note- I actually had a 4 year old once who was laying in the nap room. She had a necklace on. She ended up breaking it and put all the beads that fell off into a playpen with a sleeping infant. Luckily the infant was sleeping and never realized they were there. I was horrified! From that point on no jewelry allowed ever!!