Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheap parents

Outgoing
    I'm not sure many of us have been so lucky to get a used tube of anything. But self tanner? Maybe you were looking a little pale. lol Whenever I get a gift from a parent, I write a thank you note telling them what I'll do with it, or whatever. "Thank you so much for the old spices, I will be sure to include them in lots of daycare meals!"

2. The Following User Says Thank You to kindertime For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    That's good you aren't bothered by it. I read your post as if you were bitter or angry about it and just wanted to offer some reasons as to why they'd give a gift like that. Sorry, I misinterpreted your tone!!

I have had some pretty awful regifted gifts before but I just shake my head and move on. There is no obligation to buy any service provider a gift so expect nothing and you won't be disappointed, maybe a little confused at a used bottle of tanner, but the only person it bothers is yourself if you get wrapped up in feeling awful about it. If they want to go to Disney or put hardwood floors in and buy me a POS for Xmas, then that's their prerogative to do so. They pay me for my service and nothing else is required. No sense in getting upset over what should have been or happened. Also counting cash is a smart move on the parent who does it religiously for you. I'd see that as a positive thing not a negative. Generally speaking in life we do not see things clearly about what's going on with other people. I like to say, don't assume to think you know what's going on. The tanner gift is ridiculous but laugh it off and don't let it stress you out. My gifts have gone in waves and I am the only one who can control my happiness and I know my worth without the need for extra gifts so gift or no gift or even crappy gift doesn't bother me anymore as it's more a reflection of the other person and their circumstances versus my self worth.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bright sparks For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    You said it better than I did bright lol. I agree with you

Quote Originally Posted by 5 Little Monkeys View Post
    I get the fact that our service is pretty special and very personal but the fact of the matter is that some parents just view as a service provider. It's a bit different because we don't pay teachers but think about all the gifts a family would have to give for a school aged child. There are lots of professions that deal with children (drs, dentists, counsellers, swim teachers, dance teachers, coaches etc etc). Parents have to draw the line somewhere and sometimes we are the ones who get cut off the list unfortunately.

Trust me, I would definitely think a used bottle of anything was an odd gift and would much rather appreciate just a card with a thoughtful comment too! However, I'm trying to let things that I have no control over not stress me out

As a side note, even family members give crazy gifts. One year my husband got one pair of socks (out of a package) from one of my crazy aunts. We still giggle over who got the other pairs lol.

Thinking about service providers...I wonder if vets and animal daycare providers feel the same way? Some people view their pets as family and people in those industries would be very attached to your pet as well like we are to the dck's in our care.
    I'm trying to do that to, not get stressed over things I have no control over.

My father in law gave my husband tea towels for his 30th birthday...lol...he said that it was because when he came back from walking our dogs we never had any in the kitchen. We used to hide them because we were in the back garden one day and saw him through the window returning with the dogs and wiping the sweat from his face on one and then hanging it back up EWWWWW!! LOL

I've recieved a used candle once...barely as the wax seemed fine but it had been lit lol

Nought as queer as folk

Outgoing
    Thanks 5 little monkeys....it was one of those things...I was really just curious if anything of this nature had happened to anyone else....I appreciate any or all of the gifts I have received over the years from my parents....I really do....it was the actual gift we are talking about ...the capper of the whole story here was....the self suntanning lotion came from a family that I would not have believed that they would have EVER used this product in a million years!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to sandylynn For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    LOL...that is totally something my FIL would do too!!! Gross for sure! Lol

I can't think of any odd gifts I've received...definitel y received some that I just regift though lol

Outgoing
    Thanks brightsparks...well said

Euphoric !
    I will admit I am ticked when I don't get some sort of acknowledgment of appreciation at Christmas. I have had my share of unappreciative parents but I don't let it bother me too much.

I luckily have never had a bad gift - one that I don't like or need or is useless to me but they have always been new

Starting to feel at home...
    I have been pretty lucky with gifts from DCP, they have all been very considerate. I did have one mom, that worked 1/2 days a lot (split shifts), and I used to have a half day rate, but it worked out that she would pick up right before lunch, and always say how good lunch smelled. then one day she asked her boy if he just wanted to stay for lunch (yes he did) next thing she asks for some. I was a little taken of guard, but also flattered that she wanted my cooking (my kids, well you know, they act like I'm trying to pioson them) anyways this started to become a bit of a habit, so I started to serve the more "kid friendly" stuff, think she wont want that....she did! then she admits "I would rather eat here, its cheaper for me then going out" and that was the end of that, and the end of the half day rate.
    talking about bad gifts though, one year, my MIL (ex MIL now) gave me her used kinky lingere for my birthday!!!!It was a set of crotchless panties and a nipple-less bra.......Oh, I know they were hers, because she said "They don't fit me anymore, so I thought you could have fun with them"

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MsBell For This Useful Post:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast