Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheap parents

Outgoing

Cheap parents

Has anyone had parents that were sooooooo CHEAP...ie, they actually go around there house to try and dig up someone OLD and USED to give their daycare provider for Christmas! Seriously? This leaves such a bad taste in my mouth.....I have had everything from a tube of USED self suntanning lotion to a spice jar from a restaurant they used to own 5 years ago! Is it me? or am I missing something huge here....I also have a parent that counts the money out to me EVERY TIME HE PAYS ME.....I've told him.."please just put it in an envelope and leave it on the table"....like I need this crap! I think the best way to get rid of these people is to SUPER UP THEIR RATES! YA....GONE!

Euphoric !
    I totally recommend counting the money in front of you!! I have had a few parents over the years pay cash and it's never been a problem but a couple pay days ago, a mom was short $40 and I didn't notice until she left. I texted right away to ask and mom apologized and said she had the $40 in her pocket (which is what I thought happened because I saw the way she took it out of her pocket) it could have been bad though because she could have said she gave me the right amount and it would be my word against hers. Thankfully she's not like that but you just never know!!

As for the other stuff....yes I'd find it weird and would have a laugh over it but in the end, I'd chalk it up to money issues or just being raised differently lol. It's the thought that counts right?? Lol

Outgoing
    I GUESS you are right 5 little Monkeys...it probably is a money issue....heck...if they spent 20.00 on a Christmas gift for their daycare provider (the person who looks after the most precious and important person in their life for 10 hours a day)....they wouldn't have been able to put those hardwood floors in their home....gone on the Disney cruise....that they just returned from or bought the new car 3 months ago....ya...hm...mus t be a money issue!

Euphoric !
    Some people aren't gift givers...or not great at it! Lol

I don't give gifts to every service provider in my life so I can't really blame them for doing the same.

Maybe they can afford those things for themselves because they don't "waste" money on others. Maybe they don't budget for gifts outside of their family?

Really we will never know how/why people choose to give us what they give us.

Also, you have to look at the bigger picture....are you doing this job to receive gifts and bonuses from parents or because you love children and enjoy owning your own business?
    Last edited by 5 Little Monkeys; 03-04-2015 at 08:39 AM.

Starting to feel at home...
    Sandylynn: omg that would irk me beyond words!!! I had one parent who had money issues, she still provided gifts (for my 3 kids, nothing for me). She got movies for each of them (with her husband's work discount as he works at a big box store.) And she got them each an outfit, which she told me she got off ebay. So it was probably $1-$2 per piece of clothing. So, she may have spent $20 in total but at least she went through the effort and time picking something for them personally! I appreciated it and was not annoyed by the dollar amount, but that she put thought into it.
    Your family who gave u lotion!? Wow. That's just an insult as I would feel I am not worth a minute of her time to think of a gift that I would use/appreciate.

Expansive...
    I also agree that counting money is a GOOD thing. It can avoid awkward situations for sure.

But I disagree that us providers are just lumped in with other service providers...I don't think we are in the same category at all. I get that some people aren't great at gift giving, I can't say I am great at it myself but even if money was an issue a cheap card with some nice words in it is pretty budget friendly and would mean more to me than any gift.

I don't even know what to think about a bottle of used self tanner...I mean why even bother at that point?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Fun&care For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    Quote Originally Posted by 5 Little Monkeys View Post
    Some people aren't gift givers...or not great at it! Lol

I don't give gifts to every service provider in my life so I can't really blame them for doing the same.

Maybe they can afford those things for themselves because they don't "waste" money on others. Maybe they don't budget for gifts outside of their family?

Really we will never know how/why people choose to give us what they give us.

Also, you have to look at the bigger picture....are you doing this job to receive gifts and bonuses from parents or because you love children and enjoy owning your own business?
    We are not the mail carrier or your hairdresser, I think we should not be grouped into the same category as "every service provider".

Also, of course she is not doing this for the gifts and bonuses. It gave me a chuckle to hear about her "gifts" hehehe! Just one of the perks to being a part of this forum, we get to hear about others stories and experiences.

Euphoric !
    I get the fact that our service is pretty special and very personal but the fact of the matter is that some parents just view as a service provider. It's a bit different because we don't pay teachers but think about all the gifts a family would have to give for a school aged child. There are lots of professions that deal with children (drs, dentists, counsellers, swim teachers, dance teachers, coaches etc etc). Parents have to draw the line somewhere and sometimes we are the ones who get cut off the list unfortunately.

Trust me, I would definitely think a used bottle of anything was an odd gift and would much rather appreciate just a card with a thoughtful comment too! However, I'm trying to let things that I have no control over not stress me out

As a side note, even family members give crazy gifts. One year my husband got one pair of socks (out of a package) from one of my crazy aunts. We still giggle over who got the other pairs lol.

Thinking about service providers...I wonder if vets and animal daycare providers feel the same way? Some people view their pets as family and people in those industries would be very attached to your pet as well like we are to the dck's in our care.
    Last edited by 5 Little Monkeys; 03-04-2015 at 09:15 AM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Thank you 3rdtimesacharm....we should NOT be grouped into the same category of the hairdresser or mail carrier....I don't spend 10 hours a day having my hair done....and for that matter I do tip my hairdresser very well at Christmas....however ...5 little monkeys...I do love children....and am not spending 50 hours a week to get gifts and bonus's from these people...HOWEVER.... giving me a used tube of self-sun tanning lotion is nothing more than a complete INSULT...it's just WRONG.....nothing would have been better....I am paid for my work...yes...but please....parents... .don't toss me what was going in the garbage....for a Christmas Gift.....seriously! It just changes my opinion of you...just sayin

Outgoing
    p.s. It honestly DOES NOT STRESS ME OUT....I learned a looooong time ago....this kind of thing comes with the job...guess I am just hoping that if only 1 parent reads my message...it's 1 daycare provider that JUST MIGHT NOT BE INSULTED AT CHRISTMAS! And that's a "gift and a bonus"...in itself.....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast