Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Vaccinations

Euphoric !
    I vaccinate my daughter. We also get flu shots yearly. I don't understand not wanting to protect your child from being ill. Each to their own I guess.

I don't ask my daycare families. I just added a spot on my forms though asking if they vaccinate. I am just curious.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to mickyc For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    Quote Originally Posted by 5 Little Monkeys View Post
    I don't have my own children so can't say for sure what I would do.

As for daycare, I don't even ask to be honest. I've only had one parent disclose that their child wasn't yet because they couldn't decide. It didn't bother me. I like what bright said...I'm pro choice.

Chicken pox does worry me a bit as I've never had it....but my brother and sister did at same time and I shared a room with my sister and I never did get it (my mom was also hoping all 3 of us would get it at same time lol) My dad has also never had it so we kinda just assume we both are naturally immune from it?? Hope so!! Lol
    Monkey, I never had chicken pox either, but as a kid came in contact with it a lot! then my own daughter got it at 18 months (no big deal) I still didn't get it, my doctor told me that I very likely did "get it" but just didn't show spots.....for the record though, I do tend to have super immunity, rarely get colds and stuff when they are going through the day care. Only once (knock wood) in my life had the flu, so I am pretty lucky

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MsBell For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by MsBell View Post
    Monkey, I never had chicken pox either, but as a kid came in contact with it a lot! then my own daughter got it at 18 months (no big deal) I still didn't get it, my doctor told me that I very likely did "get it" but just didn't show spots.....for the record though, I do tend to have super immunity, rarely get colds and stuff when they are going through the day care. Only once (knock wood) in my life had the flu, so I am pretty lucky
    That's interesting! Maybe I got it too but no spots.

As for flu shot, got it once years and years ago and have never since. I also very rarely get sick and think we need to let our natural immunity sometimes do it's job! I read about how antibiotics aren't working for older people and how super bugs are being created etc. I want antibiotics to work for me when I really need them too! I'm NOT saying that the flu shot makes people sick but I know lots of people who get it and are sick a lot more often than we are! My husband doesn't get it either and we both work with children....I think we're building our natural immunity. (Maybe it's all in my head though and we just aren't sick people lol) I also do a deep clean and boost our vit c intake when colds and flu go through here or at the school my husband works at.

I had flu shot once over ten years ago in the U.K. as it was mandatory for my job working on the maternity ward. Never since and my kids have never had it. We are not immunocompromised so I see it as unnecessary and statistically it's not very effective as its out of date. I think it's advisable for those who are high risk to begin with but otherwise I believe that if I get the flu, it will be crappy, but my immune system will be stronger for it.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to bright sparks For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    I haven't read the other responses, but yes my children are vaccinated. I do not accept non vaccinated children in my daycare.
    I do not think vaccines are harmful. I think that every child going to school should be fully vaccinated, except those that are immune compromised.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Gloucestermom For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    My own older kids always got the mandatory ones for school but I opt out of the optional ones, they can get those later if they choose. Also don't do flu, or previous H1N1 or chicken pox (they had already once naturally) I think about the cumulative affect of all the ingredients that are in vaccines over time. I believe the meningitis vaccine is now mandatory which I think is good as that illness scares me the most. Will wait till summer to get that shot though when immune system strongest to deal with it. My 16 yr got muscle twitching in her arm for over half a year from the tetnus one.