Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Spots :-(

Euphoric !

Spots :-(

Hi Ladies...looking for help.

My 23month old has spots.

We just got back from 2 weeks at the beach on Sunday. I noticed a few on her bum then and thought it was from sand. A day or so later I noticed a few more and a few on her legs. But they didn't really seem to be doing anything...so again figure maybe skin irritation from sand, ocean salt, sunscreen and all that.

She was just on the potty and I noticed she has a lot more on her bum and a few on her lower back. They are only on her lower back, bum, upper legs. They are small, raised red spots.

I don't believe she had a fever at any point. She started a runny nose yesterday but otherwise seems to have had nothing out of the norm going on.

Any ideas what this could be? Her face and upper body and hands and such are all clear and normal (a little dry from the heat of trip).

Thoughts? I don't want to run to the doctor. But, I can't figure out what it would be I googled it but it didn't really seem to be any normal childhood illness (lack of fever and location of the spots).

Thanks

Starting to feel at home...
    Has she had any vaccines recently?? My 12 month old just had her MMR shots and doc said that she may develop a rash anytime in the next 3 weeks.
    Also, have you looked up measles symptoms?

We go away every year...and these sound like sand flea bites. Unfortunately, they seem to be getting worse through out the years. Ive been travelling all over the world since I started walking and I never ever encountered sand fleas. Now, over the last few years, it seems that everywhere we go has sand fleas - to be honest, I avoid the beach where ever we go becasue of this. My kids were always getting bitten by the sand fleas. This has happened in Mexico, Cuba and the Dominician, all at various resorts throughout each country. Not sure why this is now, because I never had a problem growing up.
    Apply for Kids after bite. To be safe, you may want to take to her a walk in.

You should google reviews on the resort that you stayed at - im sure some of the reviews will mention sand fleas...they always do!!

Outgoing
    Hand Foot and mouth. I had a 3yo last summer who had spots like this on his bum, back, legs and face. Not hands or feet. See a doctor, there is an exclusion period. Exclude until all blisters are dried.

Euphoric !
    Would the sand flea bites show up 1-4 days after we leave the resort? We were there 2 weeks and she had no spots while there. We did spends a good 2-4 hrs a day in the sand :-) I would totally accept this diagnosis, it just seems odd the timing of the spots.

Her last vaccines where at 18months (5months ago) so wouldn't be that. I looked at measle pics and I am pretty sure it isn't that (thank goodness)!

Euphoric !
    I'll bring her to the doctor tomorrow, just in case. The odd thing is that over 3 days the original spots haven't changed at all. The skin around all the spots is perfectly normal (not red or anything). The sand fleas would make most sense as they seem like small mosquito bites. But the fact they are starting after we get home, and seem to be multiplying makes me a bit doubtful this could be. The lack of fever makes me doubt it could be most illnesses as well. but, perhaps she is just presenting something differently and therefore confusing me so I will bring her in to see. She is full of energy and happy as can be it's just these spots on her back/bum/thighs.

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by kindertime View Post
    Hand Foot and mouth. I had a 3yo last summer who had spots like this on his bum, back, legs and face. Not hands or feet. See a doctor, there is an exclusion period. Exclude until all blisters are dried.
    I was thinking hfm disease too

YES!! We got back from Cuba on Jan 15th. Unfortuately, we visited the beach this vacation. Its been so long since I went to the beach when we go away, so I figured, we will go for an hour or two, sit only on chairs and then head back to the pool. We did this on the last 2 days before we left. The bites started to show up when we got home!! I just applied the afterbite to my boys and all was well.
    If she sat on the sand, that would defeinitely explain the bites and where they are. They was with my sons the first few years, they would sit directly on the sand and get bite marks fromt he waist down...sometimes everywhere because they would roll around in it.
    This trip, I actually got down and saw the fleas jumping around in the sand... We only sat on the chairs and my boys still got bit.
    You can call telehealth if you are uneasy at the moment. But I am 99% sure, by the sounds of it, that it is sand fleas!

Maybe it's a heat rash? Hope she's ok. Let us know what it turns out to be.