Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Expansive...

Withdrawal notice period

So I have a one month(not 30 days) notice period written into my contract. A parent hands me notice today(mar 5) and expects to get out of paying for good friday(my stats are paid) and tells me their last day will be the end of March. I explained that fees are due until april 5, as stated in the contract. Parent says "why should I pay if you're closed anyway?" I explained, as per the contract, that fees are due for your child's scheduled days of attendance(which includes fridays) during the notice period, regardless of attendance. I have a 2 week deposit held back. Should I keep the appropriate portion of days out of the deposit money? It frustrates me to no end, and their child has been a very high needs child, and I worked my butt off for this child and family. Do I fold or stick to my guns? I've been fortunate to never have anyone try to skip out early on fees/notice before.

Stick to your guns!! I would. Payment till April 5th as per contract.

Starting to feel at home...
    I had a parent ask me this too, why they should pay for a stat holiday if their child wont be here , I told them daycare is a bill so would you get a discount off your gym membership if they were closed on a stat day and you couldn't go ...not happening...I only ask for 1 weeks deposit but will change it to two in the future...they don't pay or follow the terms of the contract they don't get to use their deposit...I had a family give me a 2 weeks notice bc they couldn't afford it (2 days a week)I told her it stats in the contract its 4 week and if she doesn't go by the contract her deposit wont be applied to her last week

Euphoric !
    Chances are you won't see any more money from the family to cover the days so your other option is to show him a calendar and mark out the days the end care deposit will cover up to and amend the last day of care to be whatever it turns out to be. Then that is also the date you can use to be available to a new family and if space doesn't get filled the other family can use the last few days on a pay as you come basis.

Expansive...
    It's only a few days in April, but it's the principle of the matter. I have their 2 week deposit to be deducted from the last 2 weeks of care, so I'm going to withhold a few days fees from their deposit. I've decided to hold firm on this one.

Euphoric !
    This happened to me in December. It was dec 4-jan 4th. They had to pay for New Year's Day and than I was closed the Friday, so no charge. Thankfully they never made a stink about it but if they had, I would have still charged them the same!

I charge a 1 week deposit in the beginning to be used towards the last month. If they refused to pay for that stat I would have just deducted it from the deposit and held my ground.

Good luck!!

If the stat holiday falls over the weekend do they have to pay that...

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by Emma H View Post
    If the stat holiday falls over the weekend do they have to pay that...
    I usually take it the following Monday but in my contract it says I may take it Friday or Monday

Although, if the stat was Saturday and their last day was Friday and I was taking Monday off, than no they wouldn't be charged as their month is up.

I want to do this lol I use to be open on stat holidays meanwhile I could've done this !!....I did give a notice to families 2 weeks ago that I wouldn't be opened anymore one stats....I think boxing day or Christmas day falls on a Saturday so I was wondering how that works....If you have a part-time family who comes mon and fri but the stat holiday falls on a Wednesday do they have to pay....sorry I am so new to this lol

If a stat falls on a sat then we get the monday off. So therefore mon I'm closed and paid. If stat falls on wed and child comes mon and fri then no they don't pay. They pay if the stat fell on a day they would be in care. This is how I do it anyways