Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Shy

Dos and Don'ts of Contracts

Hi There,

I am new here making this my first post. I am starting up a daycare for teacher's only children and writing out my contract. I have some samples that were given to me/I found through my best friend Mr. Google I was wondering if anyone would be able to point out any specific areas or wording they either found really helpful or to avoid entirely (did something create a large issue or did something save you). I really want to make sure that both myself and the families I work with create a mutual, respectful relationship. Thank you for your help in advance!

Euphoric !
    One area of my contract that gets commented on a fair bit is the following. If you like it (and do the same thing of course lol) than feel free to use mine as a guideline

Behaviour Management
    I believe in taking positive steps in managing and guiding children's behaviours. I do this through well defined limits according to the child's age and capabilities. In an instance where your child's behaviour is inappropriate, I will redirect and refocus. If this does not work I will have the child have a "time away". It is not a time out where they are allowed to do nothing, rather it is a time for the child to have some alone time(usually with a book or puzzle) and be allowed the opportunity to de-escalate and calm down. If this still does not work, than a time out with no toys will be used as a last resort. If your child's behaviour becomes a problem, I will speak to you and together we will find a solution that works for your child, you and myself. If the behaviour becomes too out of control and is a safety to the other children or myself, I may ask that you find alternate care.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    I was going to echo something similar - make sure you have an immediate termination clause for behaviour that endangers the safety of other children, your children, or yourself. I had 2 week's notice written into my original contract, and then got a kid with extreme aggression issues, along with a bunch of undiagnosed sensory disorders and, it turns out, ADHD. He pushed over strollers, dumped highchairs with babies in them, threw toys at childrens' faces on purpose, and tried to pick up my infant by her head, laughing hysterically. It was scary, and it wasn't safe. I had to tell the parents I couldn't have him back, even for one more day. I was lucky that they (seemed to) understand and managed to get his grandparents to watch him, but it made me realize how vulnerable I was with not having that in my contract. It sounds extreme, but it happens, and your contract needs to allow you to do what's needed if other children's safety is at risk.
    Good luck!

Euphoric !
    I agree with crazyeight!! I didn't have a termination clause before but after reading this forum, I added one!! Luckily so because shortly after I needed to terminate a family! This is what mine says (which I got from someone off here I believe...)

Termination
    I will give at least 2 weeks written notice should I feel that termination is best for all involved. However, I reserve the right to terminate immediately if I feel that the behaviour of the child or parent is detrimental to the well being of myself and/or other children in my care. I will give at least 2 weeks notice if I change my contract and policies.

I reserve the right to terminate childcare services at my discretion for the following reasons(but not solely limited to):
    *Failure to pay
    *Consistent late payments or NSF cheques
    *Consistent late pick ups
    *Failure to follow proper procedures outlined above as well as policy rules
    *Failure of the child to adjust in a reasonable amount of time
    *Physical or verbal abuse of any kind directed toward other children or property
    *Disrespect towards myself or my husband, other children, other parents or my daycare

If termination occurs for any of the above reasons no monies paid will be refundable and all monies left owing will still need to be paid.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

Shy
    Thank you so much for sharing! Great information that I will be sure to include

Expansive...
    I like to add a clause that contract revisions may occur at any time, so that you're not stuck for a year if you want to change something in the contract.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy ECE mommy For This Useful Post:

Shy
    From experience, I would make sure to outline your meals policies. I just expected that the kids would come having had breakfast at home just like I did when I sent my kid to daycare. I had two parents drop off children and I was to feed them. So, in turn, I have really made a point going forward: please ensure children are fed breakfast before arrival and are ready for the fun day ahead! I provide snack at 10am, lunch at 12, and snack at 3pm. Good luck!

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frogsandrabbits For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by Frogsandrabbits View Post
    I had two parents drop off children and I was to feed them. So, in turn, I have really made a point going forward: please ensure children are fed breakfast before arrival and are ready for the fun day ahead!
    Oh, yah, how did that work out? Are they feeding the kids breakfast now?

Outgoing
    My contract is shorter than these others sound. I have the details of the people, me, parents and child. Days, hours and start and end dates. And details of the payment schedule with the pay days and amounts and the closures. I also have that the parents have to follow the policies of the daycare. Those are contained in a separate booklet and the parents have signed the last page saying they read and agreed to them.

Your all more then welcome to check out my website: Running a high quality home daycare business there is a copy of my contract on it. the contract is 29 pages long. its very detailed. We are not allowed to ask for sick day pay or vacation pay so I have just worded my contract so I get paid even when I am closed (on the first page) and then go into more detail about the Caregivers Paid time off on another page.

I also have a almost page long termination clause for both my clients and for me.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueRose For This Useful Post: