Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Nose Picker!!

Starting to feel at home...

Nose Picker!!

Any tips on getting a 2.5yr old to stop picking and snacking on his boogars?? He is constantly walking around with his finger second-knuckle-deep in his nose. I ahve tried giving him a tissue to hold on to and when his nose is itchy then he can wipe it with that. I have tried reminding him when I catch it and saying that is yucky, now we wash our hands etc.
    Any tips!? Thanks!

I wish I could help. I watch a four year old who picks and eats it. I want to vomit every time I see it.

My daughter does this too. And the battle continues...

Outgoing
    I have kleenex boxes all over my house, accessible to the kids. There is one taped on its side to the side of the microwave at the end of the kitchen counter, one in the livingroom, and playroom, and on top of the cubbies at the front door. I have found that when they are about that age, they like to be allowed to get their own. "Do you need a kleenex?" For some reason, they haven't been overly wasted. They all still pick, but less so and since its been so dry this long, long winter, there have been a lot of trips to the bathroom to wash hands.

Euphoric !
    I have one too! I swear he does it just because we tell him not to.

Euphoric !
    I have one 3 yo who is a nose picker and the other 3 yo is the opposite...lets her nose run until it's in her mouth....blech!!

With the nose picker, I always ask him to get a kleenex when I see it happen. I remind him that it's gross and it spreads germs on our toys. When a toy gets dirty here (usually from them putting in their mouth) they have to put it in the sink and I will wash it the next time I do dishes. So if all the toys are in the sink they won't have much fun! He sometimes gets nose bleeds from picking so I remind him that he doesn't want to get "sick" and have his nose bleed because if he does, he will have to sit down in the kitchen until it stops and he won't be able to play with his friends.

With the runny nose, I remind her she is a big girl and she doesn't need to wait for me to wipe it. I also have kleenex where they can get at it and she knows that she is able to go and get one whenever. I also remind her that she will get sick if she keeps eating her boogers and if she's sick she can't come to daycare.

It's a never ending battle with both of them lol. Hopefully it's a phase that they all age out of soon!!

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by 5 Little Monkeys View Post
    I have one 3 yo who is a nose picker and the other 3 yo is the opposite...lets her nose run until it's in her mouth....blech!!

With the nose picker, I always ask him to get a kleenex when I see it happen. I remind him that it's gross and it spreads germs on our toys. When a toy gets dirty here (usually from them putting in their mouth) they have to put it in the sink and I will wash it the next time I do dishes. So if all the toys are in the sink they won't have much fun! He sometimes gets nose bleeds from picking so I remind him that he doesn't want to get "sick" and have his nose bleed because if he does, he will have to sit down in the kitchen until it stops and he won't be able to play with his friends.

With the runny nose, I remind her she is a big girl and she doesn't need to wait for me to wipe it. I also have kleenex where they can get at it and she knows that she is able to go and get one whenever. I also remind her that she will get sick if she keeps eating her boogers and if she's sick she can't come to daycare.

It's a never ending battle with both of them lol. Hopefully it's a phase that they all age out of soon!!
    I have one that lets it run into her mouth, it SO grosses me out. And, lucky me, she is also the one that is always getting sick. I am lucky if she goes 2 weeks without a runny nose. I have kleenex readily available, but she could seem to care less.

But my younger daughter is the opposite and if she has any sort of feeling that her nose is running she has a fit and starts screaming that she needs a kleenex. It is a bit exhausting.

So I can't win either way! Lol

Just waiting for them to get a little bit older so they can both grow out of their totally opposite but related problems!

Don't have any solution for the nose picking, aside from keeping on them to not pick and to use a kleenex. If they were older and independent in thd bathroom I would send them to wash their hands every time, perhaps would be a deterent since they would have to keep stopping what they were doing to go wash hands.

Euphoric !
    Nose issues and potty training...my least favourite things and things we will ALWAYS have to deal with!! lol

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

every time they put their finger in their nose, they have to stop what they are doing get up, and wash and dry their hands. same if someone coughs into their hands and not their elbow, or sticks their hands down their pants. EWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!! Kids can be gross

11. The Following User Says Thank You to 33 Daiseys For This Useful Post:

Ugggg I feel your pain. I have a 2 year old who is the happiest of little guys always but whose nose has run constantly since he came to me @ 1 year old, and if he does not have his hand crammed in his mouth or his constanly dripping nose...he has it down the back of his pants. Doesn't help that he is my most busiest of bees...one thing to another in a shot (he is the only one in the history of my daycare that I have to chase constantly to keep him with our group outside). He keeps me on my toes wiping, washing and sanitizing! On a positive note; I have mastered training him not to be quite so messy at mealtimes; yay me!
    Children are great imitators.
    So give them something great to imitate.

~Anonymous~