Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Advice please!

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by ialmostcare View Post
    Unfortunately her parents would consider that (laying her down and leaving) to be crying it out. They want her rocked constantly until she falls asleep. No putting her down. :-/
    In that case, ask them how they suggest you do this for all the children at the same time. It not practical but if they have method to do it, you'd love to hear.

It not okay for you to rock just one child for an hour and leave others with less supervision. They must be able see that.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzie_Homemaker View Post
    Don't feel bad. It sound like this a extra request after contract signed, above service you offered.

Lot of parent send requests list. I tend to return and say that I can't run individual programs, that I promise to take care of their child are they know from interview but day care children have to adjust and fit my program, I can't mirror all of theirs. It not practical in multi-child setting.
    That makes sense. I just feel that if I had asked more (better) questions, this whole situation would have been avoided. They turned down two other dayhomes for mine. I guess it's a lesson learned. Thank you for your support.

Starting to feel at home...
    Gotta love those parents with alll the special requests after signing on!
    I am with the others, simply tell the parents that it is an unreasonable request, and if they are not ok with another way, then terminate, this will drive you crazy very quickly, and it is unfair to you and other children in care. Also, I wonder how many providers they asked about that only to be turned down, so they kept quiet about it? For me it is a big red flag, if a parent asked me to rock their child to sleep, the meeting would likely not need to continue (that and a complaint about my rate! )
    Last edited by MsBell; 03-09-2015 at 05:54 PM.

Euphoric !
    And she's part time? She'll never adjust then, especially with the parents having such different expectations.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to torontokids For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Going forward you need to think of it this way - if a parent has a request for their child you have to think - are you able to do it for ALL children. If you cannot accommodate a all then don't do it for 1. There is no rocking, no bottle holding etc! You will have multiple kids with multiple ages and you are only 1 person. You will NEED that 2 hours at nap time for a break!

Talk to parents asap. Tell them it is not something you can accommodate and leave it to them to decide if they want to follow your rules or not. They either get on board or they find somewhere else. Good luck to them too because I doubt other providers will rock either.

I actually have a page in my contract about getting ready for child to begin daycare. In there it states no rocking.
    Last edited by mickyc; 03-09-2015 at 05:59 PM.

Outgoing
    I agree with everyone else. I would tell her that is unreasonable. When you agreed to rock her, you didn't know it would take 2 hours of your time each day.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to superfun For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Ummm... a long list of requests? Sounds like you are in for a long day, every day with this family. I was going to ask in my previous post if they are young parents. Thought better of it, but now I'm asking. Young with too much outside advice? It has been my experience, older parents are more mellow. "Sure, let 'em eat dirt."

Sounds like these parents are going to nick-pick the sh*t out of you if you keep them on.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kindertime For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MsBell View Post
    Gotta love those parents with alll the special requests after signing on!
    I am with the others, simply tell the parents that it is an unreasonable request, and if they are not ok with another way, then terminate, this will drive you crazy very quickly, and it is unfair to you and other children in care. Also, I wonder how many providers they asked about that only to be turned down, so they kept quiet about it? For me it is a big red flag, if a parent asked me to rock their child to sleep, the meeting would likely not need to continue (that and a complaint about my rate! )
    I have wondered that too. Yeah, it was a LONG list too. And very specific. I often have a hard time saying "no", but I'm definitely going to have to learn to put my foot down from now on.

Quote Originally Posted by mickyc View Post
    Going forward you need to think of it this way - if a parent has a request for their child you have to think - are you able to do it for ALL children. If you cannot accommodate a all then don't do it for 1. There is no rocking, no bottle holding etc! You will have multiple kids with multiple ages and you are only 1 person. You will NEED that 2 hours at nap time for a break!

Talk to parents asap. Tell them it is not something you can accommodate and leave it to them to decide if they want to follow your rules or not. They either get on board or they find somewhere else. Good luck to them too because I doubt other providers will rock either.

I actually have a page in my contract about getting ready for child to begin daycare. In there it states no rocking.
    That is a great way of thinking about it. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by kindertime View Post
    Ummm... a long list of requests? Sounds like you are in for a long day, every day with this family. I was going to ask in my previous post if they are young parents. Thought better of it, but now I'm asking. Young with too much outside advice? It has been my experience, older parents are more mellow. "Sure, let 'em eat dirt."

Sounds like these parents are going to nick-pick the sh*t out of you if you keep them on.
    Yes, and very specific. Needs one blanket while rocking and another in the actual crib (they provided two). Needs to have bottle at certain temperature. Gave me specific times for everything (nap, lunch, bottle). Wanted to substitute some foods on my menu because she won't like them. Etc... Etc... I was a pretty slack mama compared to this, apparently. Definitely a bit of a change for me! Most of it wasn't a huge deal, but the rocking is... especially when it lasts for so long and twice a day. And then after all that, she only slept 30 minutes! lol.