Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home...

Would you accept a non immunized child?

I wanted to get some opinions about accepting children that are not immunized. Would you accept them into your care or refuse them because of it?

I have a child I took on 4 weeks ago who isn't immunized. I don't have an issue taking none immunized kids but I haven't come across it too often anyway.

I haven't given it too much thought.

Maybe you could accept them into care, but follow the same rules as the school board if there is ever an outbreak in your community?

I don't know, I'm just torn. I've had an inquiry about a fulltime opening and the hours are great and mom seems great, this is the only thing that's giving me second thoughts. I'm desperate to fill a fulltime spot, but I don't want to endanger my family or other dck's either.

Outgoing
    Unfortunately, I wouldn't. I'm pregnant and according to my latest blood tests, my antibodies for a few things have disappeared, again. I also have clients with siblings, clients who could become pregnant, etc etc. When I opened my youngest was 8 months old, and obviously hadn't had all her shots. The risk, for me personally, is too great that something COULD get passed on from a non-immunized child. Obviously, I'm pro-vaccine, and being as this is my business and I can set the policies that work for me and my family, I would have to say no.

Euphoric !
    I'd accept. I don't even ask so I wouldn't know unless they told me anyways.

I know we're in close contact all day but think of all the other places we go where we don't know whose immunized or not....extra curricular activities (dance, gymnastics, swim classes, etc) library, mall etc.

If you're not comfortable though than you should say no now. No point in being stressed every time someone is sick!
    Last edited by 5 Little Monkeys; 03-10-2015 at 07:48 AM. Reason: Forgot a word

Euphoric !
    I don't worry much about it in the sense that when I start kids from 11 months or younger they are still not vaxed anyways so are just as capable of coming into contact with the virus and passing it on to the other kids. Would feel differently about school age kids just because of what they are exposed to probably but that is not an issue for me. I have always expected the DPT and MMR but after that don't worry about any of the others including chicken pox as my own kids have had them. I will probably in the future start asking parents just so I have the answers when others question it but all decisions will be made on a case by case basis.

I would not, not just for every one elses safety, but also I don't want to have to consider those illnesses when a child is sick, bad enough dealing with common colds, ear infections possible pink eye etc, I don't want to have to consider polio, measles, whooping cough etc, I can accept that someone wants to do their own thing, but I dont have to respect it, and by that, I don't have to include them in my business.
    On a side note, I always get a chuckle when parents say " I know best for my kids" and yet we have a society full of really messed up people......not everyone knows whats best, all the time!
    Last edited by MsBell; 03-10-2015 at 10:13 AM.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MsBell For This Useful Post:

I wouldn't.

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by mattsmom View Post
    I wanted to get some opinions about accepting children that are not immunized. Would you accept them into your care or refuse them because of it?
    Unless there was a medical reason for not being immunized (and that whole new conversation), then no, I would not. It my requirement that immunized. Part of policies.