Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Formula

Expansive...

Formula

Do any of you have a cut-off point(age-wise) when you stop accepting baby formula as the drink of choice versus milk? I have an almost 20 month old with no growth issues and no allergies that still comes with formula. I have to sterilize/measure/mix/measure amount drank/measure amount left etc and I don't have time to keep this up with my group of toddlers. I have suggested milk several times(which I provide) and they won't go for it. It's getting a little tedious for me.
    Is it fair to ask a parent to discontinue formula at this age? Suggestions please???

Starting to feel at home...
    I personally wouldn't ask to discontinue as it boils down to their preference and what they are comfortable with however I would ask them to pre-measure/mix and have it ready for you to just warm up

Expansive...
    If they eating all sorts of food, there is no need for formula. Personally, I would be telling the parents if they still insist on formula they need to send it already pre-made in a sippy cup - there is no need at this age to be sterilizing and also no need for a bottle at all. I also wouldn't be concerning myself with warming it up either. Then there is no extra work for you.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AmandaKDT For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    Yes the child has a great appetite for regular foods. Does use a sippy cup, but all the work is mine.

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by Busy ECE mommy View Post
    Do any of you have a cut-off point(age-wise) when you stop accepting baby formula as the drink of choice versus milk? I have an almost 20 month old with no growth issues and no allergies that still comes with formula. I have to sterilize/measure/mix/measure amount drank/measure amount left etc and I don't have time to keep this up with my group of toddlers. I have suggested milk several times(which I provide) and they won't go for it. It's getting a little tedious for me.
    Is it fair to ask a parent to discontinue formula at this age? Suggestions please???
    I would tell her that it is beyond the normal age where you provide this service. If they still want to baby formula, they need to mix the bottle before drop off so it just needs putting in your fridge. I would also tell them it will be offered in an age appropriate sippy cup. They won't bother doing it for long. I don't mix formula, sterilize or doing any of those things for the infants. If they need a bottle, it needs to come ready to be heated.

Outgoing
    If they aren't interested in cow's milk, then have them bring you a carton of the soy or coconut or other type. That's what happens here. I provide milk but if they want, I have space in my fridge for the other. The whole idea of formula is to replace breast milk for the under 1 yo, because they aren't supposed to have cow's milk till 12 mths, am I right about that? So I think everyone's right, get them to send in the formula premixed if necessary otherwise switch to something more age appropriate.

Expansive...
    I don't mix or prepare formula either. Maybe ask that it comes prepared moving forward?

I'm having a similar problem lately. I have a 19 month old who has been coming with cows milk in a sippy cup since she was 12 months yet hasn't actually drank it in about 3-4 months. The milk gets put back in the fridge and is sent back home every.single.day. I've asked a few times that we just drop the milk altogether because she doesn't ever drink it and actually asks for water but for some reason, the parents show up the next day with milk....now, it's not THAT big of a deal, it's not hard for me to get her milk out of the fridge and put it back in when she's done, but at the same time it just feels like such a waste of time and it gets under my skin that the parents don't seem to be taking me seriously and I keep wondering what they think she is getting from NOT drinking any milk during the day but staring at her sippy cup....little things like this really get under my skin because it is just SO BASIC!!! Child doesn't drink milk = STOP BRINGING MILK!!!!!!

Euphoric !
    most of my kids are 11-13 months when they come and i dont do bottles or formula ......if the child was 8-10 months then maybe but if the child can drink from a sippy cup then they get water unless the parent wants to send homo milk

Euphoric !
    Same applies to homogenized milk - if parent wants to continue sending fine. But bottles come prepared not done by you. At this age child would be having it poured into a cup and not warmed. There is no reason to sterilize anything - I mean you don't sterilize her spoons and plates so why the bottles.

Sounds more like the issue of speaking with mom that it is time to let the child grow up. Mom is holding onto the past - child is not a baby and does not deserve to be treated like one.

Euphoric !
    I don't mix formula either. Bottles need to come pre-mixed. That being said 20 months is way too old IMO for formula!!! I actually put in my contract that all children need to be weaned off by 16 months. No reason by that age why they can't get enough out of food. I have had a few parents who continue to give bottles at home. Whatever! Lol. Do what you want at home but here not allowed.