Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Soother policy?

Soother policy?

I know this has probably been posted on here...sorry for the repeat. Do any of you have a no soother rule? What started as comfort use to ease drop off, has now escalated to he goes and points and wants it all the time. If he has it while playing, he is quiet, but drops it, my other 1 year old puts it in his mouth...it's a never ending cycle of cleaning the thing. So, now I limit it to naptime. He's not a good napper as it is but for the past 2 weeks has started throwing his soother out and crying for it every 10minutes or so (I've been going in handing it back and laying him down; but this week have not given him back the soother but layed him back down)...and not sleeping at all here (& keeping the rest of my group up). He is only here 3 days a week...Mom lets him cry it out at home (wish I could here) and at home he naps fine morning (2 hours) and afternoon (2 hours). The kids and I are exhausted in the days he's here. I would like to completely outrule a soother in my daycare; is that reasonable? With a blankie, for example, in the past I have designated a quiet corner as blankie corner. It stays there. I can't do that with a soother
    Children are great imitators.
    So give them something great to imitate.

~Anonymous~

Euphoric !
    No soother daycare here!! I used to allow them for naps but found that parents were letting kids have them way too long!!! Aged 2 and 3! Nope not anymore. No soother no matter what anymore. I always laugh when kids come in with soothers. I take them out, they go in the bag and kids are fine for 9 hours without it including nap. The second mom walks in soother comes out and goes in kids mouth. Really????!!!!! Lol. There is a place for soothers for infants but after aged 1 it is lazy parenting IMO.

I also don't allow blankets or stuffies from home either. I have a blanket and stuffy for each child that stays in their playpen or cot so none required from home.

Outgoing
    I don't care about soothers, one way or the other. If they have them, they have to stay in the mouth, but other than that, makes no difference to me. The last one to have one, I taught her to put it on the kitchen counter when she didn't want it and she could get it when she did. No problem.

I had a thrower many years ago. It was a year with 4 kids in playpens for nap. So he'd throw it across the room and it would land under another kid's bed. I finally wised up... I got a soother and sewed it into the strap of a clip that fastened really tightly to his shirt. He would throw but it wouldn't come off. When he was older, I would tell him this story and he thought that was the funniest thing!!!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to kindertime For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I allow soothers. Most of the time it is just for nap. I only have one with it right now. I think she gets them quite often at home as they've mentioned there all over the house. She comes in with it but puts it in her playpen for nap. After nap she puts it on the counter or in the laundry room to take home. Sometimes she has it for longer in the mornings if I don't notice. I don't really care to be honest, I've never had issues with them! I had a thumb sucker once snd that was harder...always had a sore on it and like mom said, how do you take away the thumb??

On my sheet I send to parents before starting, I think it states that soothers and blankets are for naptime only but it's one of those policies I'm not overly strict on. It's one of those things I find kids are different in....some need them and some don't. I have 2 right now that bring blankets back and forth (I ask for one but they stay here and I wash on weekends) because it's a special one, doesn't bother me.

I wouldn't pick it up for him, he's turning it into a game IMO. Give it to him at nap and if he throws it, oh well. It might be a long week or 2 but he'll catch on that he shouldn't throw it! A past child also had one that attached to his button (they made sure he always had on a buttoned shirt lol) it worked well

Euphoric !
    Not like them for same reason - fall on floor and if not quick, different child picks up. Gross.

If they have soother here, it limited to nap time in the crib. If I can take soother away completely in day care, I do. I go in pocket of their bag on arrival and it stay there.

Starting to feel at home...
    I like Kindertime's idea! Another option is to talk with the parents and see if they are open to doing a joint attack on eliminating the soother from the routine. I gave permission to my daycare to stop using the soother (was for naps only anyways). We tackled it at home at a later time without compromising the daycare's efforts.

Euphoric !
    its in my contract that soother and other comfort items are for nap time only .... if the child throws it out of the play pen then it seems they don't want it, i know they are just playing a game to get me to come back, however i don't play games and I also don't go back ..they figure it out pretty quick. put the soother away till nap time if he throws it out leave it out ....let him scream ..put a fan out side the room he sleeps in and after a few days he wont scream anymore ...i would also suggest to mom to have him come full time for a few weeks till he transitions and then remove a day for a few weeks then go back to the three days