Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

What's happening this March?!

I'm loving that the temperature has risen so much over the last week so now that the sidewalks are no longer piled high with snow, we can go for some walks around the neighbourhood, but that isn't going to last lol

What is everyone doing as far as indoor activities go this March? I am positively sick and tired of being cooped up and now I'm having to really work hard to combat this winter fatigue and make it through the last few weeks of winter weather without loosing my mind.

My local library have grab bags of four books from the children's section based on a theme. I thought that was a really neat way of doing things a little differently around here from my normal theme planning. Themes haven't been something I've been strict on the last two years since I've had the most high needs group ever and also every child has been ill back to back since September which really deters me from working in a close group on one activity...no thank you very much to all this lot sneezing on each other

Well I'm done with that, and honestly I'm bored and so is the 3 year old I've had forever. I grabbed a dinosaur themed bag over the weekend so that is our theme for this week and next. I have put together a dinosaur sensory bucket which is more than frustrating to use when everyone is wiping their noses on hands and sleeves but I'm trying hard to catch them each and every time but honestly I don't have time for anything else as a result. I have a dinosaur craft at the ready for the day they seem to be "dry" and hopefully we can get that achieved without any snot making it's way onto the paper.

Next week I am going to do a quick St.Paddys craft with the kids and as my kids are going to be off school I always do a big painting activity with them all in their undies/diapers and undershirts. Usually I tape packing paper to the floor and let them go wild but this house I am in is all open so I'm going to do things a little different and keep in line with the dino theme. I'm going to make dinosaur feet out of Kleenex boxes with foam prints on the bottom and then have the kids stand in paint with them on and walk the tracks all over the paper. My kids will be on guard to prevent tracks from going all over the place lol

I was thinking "baby animals" at the end of March/April leading into Easter and then on to "critters" once spring is really here in the hopes of heading outdoors more frequently and digging around to find them. I'm a little nervous about my 3.5 dcb with the high needs as he is a runner so outdoor play in the back garden will be much greater this year versus last year where some days our outdoor time consisted of just walks in the stroller if I wanted to stretch my legs. He is unbelievably heavy for his age so can not go in the stroller, but I don't trust him to hold onto the stroller and not run off. Even with a wrist link, I think the liability is to great. I'll give it a go, but I'm not overly confident. I'll put that out of my mind and try to think positive though

Euphoric !
    I have found this winter to be one of the best ones I can remember and definitely the best one with dc. We've been able to get outside so much this year This nicer weather just has me in a better mood, like every year though. We are going to start doing our daily walks again soon, as the backyard tends to be pretty wet and dirty. (Although, the slow melt this year may make a difference) Thankfully I have a quad stroller that fits everyone. I used to use those "leashes" too and I would wrap it around my wrist or the stroller to make it shorter. Hopefully he doesn't run off on you!!

I started letter of the week this year so that has really helped change up our weeks! I look on Pinterest and get lots of art and misc activity ideas. Between that, holidays and my pre set up themes, it's been going well this year! (Most of the time!)

Sounds like you have some good ideas!

Expansive...
    I did a dinosaur theme before - favourite activities were making "fossils" or "foot prints" using playdough and little dinosaur figures I got from the dollar store. I also did a dinosaur egg hunt by hiding those plastic Easter eggs around outside and having in them find them. Didn't really hide them - just scattered them around in plain sight, but they loved it. I had to hide them over and over again.

I am doing a a dentist/tooth brush theme right now. I got books from the library and today we made out own tooth brush pictures and glued yarn on them to make the brush bristles.

But the thing they have been playing with constantly for the last week has been the bins of bead necklaces and gold coins I brought out for St. Patrick's day.

Euphoric !
    I've made a big mouth with teeth before and they "brushed/painted" them with toothbrushes and tooth paste, Amanda

Euphoric !
    Worst winter ever - such deep snow in PEI. It's been relentless. Have 8 foot or more in the yard and drifts of closer to 15' blocking the shed. Our sidewalks are ice ruts. Impossible to walk with wagon or stroller. More coming Sunday.

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by 5 Little Monkeys View Post
    I've made a big mouth with teeth before and they "brushed/painted" them with toothbrushes and tooth paste, Amanda
    Thanks! I am wanting to do a couple more activities for this theme. I am finding winter has been too long and I need to start doing activities more too, just like Bright Sparks. It has been two weeks since the baby I gave notice to left and my hands are doing much much better. I can actually do some stuff during the day without being in awful pain by the afternoon, but I need to still take it easy or the pain comes back. So I struggle with being bored/restless but being unable to do much because it will cause my hands and feet to hurt.

I just took the kids outside and they all ran to the big ice puddle in my yard. They all got totally soaked and muddy, and had lots of fun! Their snow suits were such a disaster I had to undress each of them outside at the doorstep and take everything to the washing machine. I don't usually wash the kids' stuff, but I couldn't even it bring it in the house the way it was - let alone let the stuff hang to dry!

Euphoric !
    Amanda, you're welcome! It was a hit here and it made the dc smell minty all week lol (I hang their art up and send home on weekends)

A big wet mess was us yesterday but luckily no mud yet!! After saying it's been so nice, we went outside and froze today haha. It's actually pretty nice but man that wind was cold!! Too cold to get all wet though which is good

It's "H" week so I took chalk and made a hopscotch game for them! Even the 2 youngest knew what to do

Glad to hear your doing better!! How's the Lego classes going?!?

Expansive...
    5LM, I haven't got to start teaching the Lego classes yet. I went for a class observation and I training session, now I am waiting for the owner to find some places to book classes for me to teach. She doesn't have a business location, it is all done out of community centres, libraries, schools. So hopefully it will start soon. My husband and I are trying to make a plan that will mean enough income is coming in without me having to have too many daycare kids, so I am trying to patiently wait for the pieces to fall into place.