Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Euphoric !

Really Late Walker

Have little girl here who is 18 months. She not walking still. Was late to show interest but for about 2 month now, she will walk if hold finger or hand. She not really taking any balance from hand or finger she holding but if removed, she plop down and not move again without hand or finger given back.

She can do it but refuses. She walk few steps some weeks back but now not interested in doing independently. She slams one foot down hard like elephant and she turn same foot out too. I seen turned foots before and slamming feet down before.

Now she cry if made to walk even holding finger, will not take one step without the support. She heavy girl so I not carry her around and I get to walk every chance but how can I teach her she not need figure and just to to go.

Had late walker before but this is 18 months so very late. We do lot of walking and lot of outside time but I need her to get going. Have new baby coming in September and one child maybe to be replaced soon and don't need 18 month old being highest dependency/taking up the stroller.

Any ideas?

Outgoing
    When she has to get from one place to the other does she crawl? I had one, many years ago who scooted on her bum with one foot tucked in (like sitting cross legged) and the other foot was out beside her pushing. Frankly, it was weird, but worked for her and did eventually take up the walking 20+mo.

If you have hard floors, is there a chair or something she could hold to push? My kid chairs all have felt pads on the bottoms so they are fun and easy to move around.

Do you have helpful other kids? This might work if dcg likes the kids, maybe you could get them to hold her hands and walk with her. This has worked here too. And it is soooo cute to watch!

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by kindertime View Post
    When she has to get from one place to the other does she crawl?
    When she wants to get to a different toy, she crawl. But if I get table out for snack or lunch, she see and understand what happening but not come over. She sit were is and expect to be carried over. I walk to her and she put up arms for lifting but if I offer just one finger she then pull herself up and walk over as long as she hold my finger. If take finger away, she plop right down were she is.

If you have hard floors, is there a chair or something she could hold to push? My kid chairs all have felt pads on the bottoms so they are fun and easy to move around.
    Have carpet in living room where usually we spend inside time. We been toilet training other children so been in dining room for last 2 week as tile on floor. She will push a push along toy. She just refuses independant even though she can do it. Like she scared/not confident but we keep practicing and no progress.

Do you have helpful other kids? This might work if dcg likes the kids, maybe you could get them to hold her hands and walk with her. This has worked here too. And it is soooo cute to watch!
    Lot of littles here. Will try this.

Are her parents giving her enough opportunities to develop this independent skill? If she is sitting waiting to be picked up and raising arms up and fussing, I would guess this works at home and is potentially inhibiting her from getting going on her own. I have a walker who will not come when I ask at snack time and lunch. She sits and raises arms and cries like she is hurt hysterically. She can walk and does but I know she is babied a lot at home and is on the hip in response to any little noise from mum and dad. Maybe talk to her parents and encourage them to leave her to get from A to B independently even if she fusses to be picked up. It sounds to me like this could be the issue or at least part of it.

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by bright sparks View Post
    Are her parents giving her enough opportunities to develop this independent skill? If she is sitting waiting to be picked up and raising arms up and fussing, I would guess this works at home and is potentially inhibiting her from getting going on her own. I have a walker who will not come when I ask at snack time and lunch. She sits and raises arms and cries like she is hurt hysterically. She can walk and does but I know she is babied a lot at home and is on the hip in response to any little noise from mum and dad. Maybe talk to her parents and encourage them to leave her to get from A to B independently even if she fusses to be picked up. It sounds to me like this could be the issue or at least part of it.
    It was. I speak to parent about 5 month back and they are getting better. They will practice with her at night. Still carry to/from car but I think that mainly about rushing. Grandparent really bad and carry her.