Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Outgoing
    Prior to one of my dcks coming to my daycare, his mom went early to pick him up and someone she never met was looking after the daycare while the provider was picking up other kids from school....she was quite upset. When she came here, i told her as i do at every interview about everyone that comes in contact with my daycare.... that i have grown children who live at home and my husband is home sometimes for lunch. They have their backgrounds done, but i was still worried as i have 2 teenage boys 13, and 18, and 16 yrdaugh. I'm surprised when parents dont' ask about them during interview as i advertise that i am mother of older children. I'm lucky though because my 18 yr old son is lifeguard/swim instructor at the city pool where the parents see him working and he's a medical first responder volunteer so i actually feel safer when he's around. my daughter is already a piano teacher so i think it helps relax parents. i honestly thought it would be a problem when my boys became teens, but it hasn't.

Outgoing
    In ALL THE YEARS I have been doing this job...I have NEVER EVER had any parent ask anything about my husband being home....and he's home from work by 1:00....hmmm...I also had a teen age son ....

Starting to feel at home...
    Quote Originally Posted by playfelt View Post
    this is my house and my family lives here and your child is invited to spend their days with us and that includes all of us
    This.

I can understand asking who will be in the home during the day or who your child may come in contact with. If someone was making an issue over the fact that my husband may be around occasionally on his days off or whatnot then my daycare is not the place for them. This is his home.

I have my husband listed in my contract as one of my backup care providers in the event I have to be out of the house for a personal appointment or to take the kids to an appointment. I also offer new families the chance to meet him before signing on. Usually he's been around for the interviews, so it's not an issue. He's had a police check as well.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flowerchild For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    Parents never ask about my hubby because they don't really have to. I am upfront right for the beginning and he is usually there for the interview. He isn't here that much, just before/after work and obviously on days off etc. I have only on occasion had him be my back up but I always give parents the option of keeping their child home instead and my waiving the fee if they don't feel comfortable.

I seriously don't blame ppl though. I myself have gotten very wary of males who come in contact with my kids as of late. We recently discovered that a well loved doctor from our hometown was a molester. He was my hubby's doctor. Then, we found out just a few weeks ago that a lawyer from our town molested his daughters when they were little. The kicker is I babysat this guys kid...a lot. Nothing ever happened, but man....it really makes you think that even ppl you know and trust can be all kinds of bad....*sigh* it's so so terrible

Euphoric !
    I worked with kids that were sexually abused prior to opening my DC. I am definitely more sensitive to this than some I am sure. This is why I chose a DC centre for my first child. If I close up shop I think I would go the centre route again. All the home daycares I visited weren't up to snuff for me which is why I made my DC exactly how I would have liked for my children. A lot of parents comment on how my DC is so different than others they had visited and this has been a huge selling point for me. I have never had a hard time attracting families either. I think my DC is more like a centre in that there is really no interaction with my life/home. The DC is in my basement and is completely self contained (kitchen, bathroom) with a separate entrance which I love. So even if my husband is home, he never comes into the DC during open hours. Actually we see the DC as so separate from our home we are really never in there except during business hours. The kids also get the benefits of a home daycare with the small group size, extra cuddles and one consistent caregiver.

My husband is present for all my interviews. He works from home occasionally and also participates in some daycare activities and outings. It is important that the parents know this up front as well as they know he has a police check and a deeper RCMP background check for his job.
    The parents are happy there is a "helper" for my daycare and appreciate the extra set of eyes. The kids love my husband and develop a bond with him.
    During interviews he plays with the child while I chat with the parents, but he does not show any physical affection during this time as I agree, it can be off putting for some parents.

oh my god, did anyone just read about the daycare provider's husband that did horrible things to to daycare girls? can't connect the link but it's all over facebook.

Outgoing
    My husband works shifts and a lot of weekends, so is home sometimes during the week. I'm always upfront about this during interviews, and try to schedule them when he is home as he's my back-up if I have a doctor's appointment or something, as he can usually rearrange his schedule to be home. He will also stay with the little ones if the weather is crappy or somebody is still napping when school gets out, so I can run and collect the older kids. The parents know and have ok'd this. We both have police checks with a vulnerable sector screening, and that has helped parents be ok with this. I've never had a problem, and I think having him at the interviews helps. He says hello, talks to the kids, and keeps my own kids entertained. Just being upfront about his presence has been enough. And I agree with the above posters - it's HIS house that these kids are invading every day, and if he wants to be home, he is free to do what he likes.

Euphoric !
    I think everyone do things different. That appeal of dayhome, always someone who offer what parent prefer. To me, not right way or wrong way but important to be transparent.

If family join day care knowing husband work from home, or husband cover day care when provider have appointment, or husband come home at lunch time, then that obviously not concern for family. It when parent see situation they not expecting or aware of, that appear to be issue.

For me, if parent, I want to know who is in contact with my child. And maybe want police check if regular interact but just because my child in day home, I would not presume or expect immediate family to be interacting with child. If someone family is regularly involved with business, I think that needs to be clear from beginning and then no misunderstand or surprises.

33 daiseys. Yes. That is near me. Crazy!!! And that's why we get questions like this about our husbands. Don't take offence. Just know it's the news stories that give all home daycares a bad name and parents are doing their job to make sure their child is in safe hands, male or female.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to babydom For This Useful Post: