Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home...

Husbands home during dc hours.

Just wondering if any of you ladies had new or potential clients make a fuss about your husband or SO being home sometime during the day when the dck's are there?
    My hubby has his own business so sometimes he is in and out during the day.

I just found it an odd question.

Euphoric !
    I get it. They don't know him. I know for myself, when I was looking into day cares for my first daughter I had concerns about some of the males involved. One daycare was run by a husband and wife team and he kind of gave me the creeps (and kissed my daughter in the first meeting, he initiated it too), and another was an older son who was around a lot. I just didn't feel comfortable as I didn't know them. I had a hard time finding a female caregiver I felt comfortable with too though and opted for a centre. So it may just be my issue.

Euphoric !
    I should add, because of this though I do talk about my husband during the interview e.g. that he is not home on a regular basis, has a clean police record etc.

Expansive...
    No, never had anyone be concerned about my husband. I would be wondering if a home daycare is right for them if they are concerned about him being around sometimes. It is your home, of course your husband or any other family member has the right to be there.

But I did have a criminal background check and child abuse registry check done for my husband as well, and show this to the parents at our intro meeting.

Yeah, maybe that's it. I've just never had that before and I've been doing this for over 9 years.

He doesn't have anything to do with the daycare, it just happens that he comes in and out during the day. I had a potential dc mom call me this afternoon and my hubby answered. Then she emailed me and asked why he was home, since he answered, and if this happens all the time.

He has a record check and everything. Plus it is his home too!!

Euphoric !
    I do understand the worry that some may have with males in the house but realistically, females can be predators too so it is an unfair judgement towards males. If they are worried than I agree with the others, maybe a centre daycare is better as there are more eyes on each other and can "watch" the staff for inappropriate behaviour.

My husband works evenings and is off summers, christmas and spring break and the occasional PD day so he is home A LOT during daycare hours. He is also my back up provider which most parents view as a good thing because I don't have to close often if I'm not feeling well or if I have an appointment. He also has his checks done and works for our school division which I think puts them at ease as well. I have only had one parent who was a bit unsure about this arrangement. I had an appointment one morning and they had only been here a week or so. She asked if she could bring her daughter once I was home and I of course said yes. Awhile later she apologized to me and said she was absolutely fine with my husband watching her child now. I totally understood and neither him or I were offended at it at all nor thought she was being unreasonable.

As a parent, as long as I knew up front that the DCD was there intermittently and saw a criminal check, I would be unconcerned. It is your home after all. Geez.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to SillyGirl_C For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home... FSD's Avatar
    My husband works odd hours as a salesman. Because he works on the weekends, his days off are during the week. I made this clear to all my daycare parents and made sure that when they came for the initial interview that my hubby was there as well. I haven't had any issues at all, in fact, the kids love him more than they love me!! lol The parents love it because he plays guitar for the kiddos all the time.

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by mattsmom View Post
    Just wondering if any of you ladies had new or potential clients make a fuss about your husband or SO being home sometime during the day when the dck's are there?
    My hubby has his own business so sometimes he is in and out during the day.

I just found it an odd question.
    It common question here too. Parent want to know who coming into contact with child. Parent get chance to check our carer but not chance to interview check out spouse or friend coming in for coffee at nap time or any other adults. It valid concern.

Here, we expected to produce a police check for every adult in house.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Suzie_Homemaker For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I talk about my hubby in the interview because if I was really sick he would be the back up since someone has to be here to look after our own daughter. He actually retired last week after 40 years in the military so is here all day. Maybe he will get another job and maybe not - a few resumes out but we want to just enjoy a couple weeks of less stress. I love having him here to do simple things like put the other baby in their highchair or hand out the cups as I fill them. The rest of the time he worries about our own daughter and basically stays out of the way.

I have had the question in interviews and to me it is a red flag in the sense that as someone mentioned this is my house and my family lives here and your child is invited to spend their days with us and that includes all of us including my son who now lives in Calgary or my mom who comes in the summer and stays for 6 weeks. If the family is that unsure then a daycare centre may be a better suggestion for them. I get that it is an issue but other than asking who else is home all day that is as far as it should matter.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post: