Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Shy

Is part time with an agency worth it?

Rookie here!
    I am a registered dental hygienist (working one day a week only) i am contemplating working with an agency in order to be a licenced home daycare for the other four days of my week. There is only one agency in my city (non-profit) so it's either agency or unlicensed.

There is so much advertisement from unlicensed daycare providers In this city that I thought by being licenced with an agency would give me an edge and increase my likelihood of obtaining clients. But I wonder if it's even worth the effort of working for an agency if the agency will be paying out only minimal $$ . It is my understanding that the agency takes roughly 30% of the caregiver's income.
    Just looking for advice from those that have worked with a non-profit agency.

you have to work their hours, use their policies, no sick pay, no holidays and you only earn from 22 - 30 a day. you also have to get and pay for all your paper work, and pay insurance yourself. aswell as all costs associated with a daycare.
    With bill 10 new laws you more then likely only make at most 6 dollars a day per child.

Shy
    33 Daiseys: did you have first hand experience with a non-profit agency in Ontario? (Example YMCA)?? I have read many posts in regards to the cons of an agency but there are no concrete facts that I can base these allegations.

yes i have worked for three agencies, and it was the worst thing i could have done.
    To be honest if you are a person who can plan activities, and manage your business then you really have no need to be with an agency. The only reason a person would need to be with an agency is to get their first client in the door.

Shy
    I am new to this so I would need help finding clients in my area. I am meeting with the agency's supervisor soon... Let's see how it goes...

Starting to feel at home...
    I don't understand why anyone would want to work for an agency, I have heard nothing but bad stories, on both sides, providers and parents

Euphoric !
    I think the agency role changes by province? In PEI the agency not help fill places. Yes, if called they will give parent name of their provider with vacancy but it not frequent parent call agency for place. More common parent call provider direct. Not sure if it different in other places.

Euphoric !
    Was going to say that the best thing to do is to meet with the agency, have them go over their policies and find out what their client wait list is like. In some cities the agencies are not even opening new homes because they don't have enough kids to fill the ones they already have. Others will only place two children with you just to keep you on their list. As far as the profit/non-profit goes pay very little attention to that in the sense that the only difference is the management structure with a board of directors vice the owner/operator but both businesses have to turn a profit to pay the staff and director wages, etc.

As for setting up as an independent provider sites like this are a wealth of knowledge and there are many facebook groups - some area specific with information. A provider here in Ottawa just recently started a website with information on home daycare. Our association here in Ottawa has a start up kit that you can link to from their website that gives you lots of information. It seems daunting but realize the agency is only doing a bit of the work for you and you will still need to do the bulk of the planning, purchasing, buying, record keeping for taxes etc. Look here for info and you can also create a free account no matter where you live to access the newsletter with info. www.ccprn.com

UpNorth

Meet with the agency supervisor and get all the info. I think it will be very useful for you and come back here and post the terms and conditions of being with the agency. People have had lots of experience so will be able to give you helpful feedback but for it to be the most relative to you and this agency specifically, having that info will mean more accurate info based on fact, not others experiences with different agencies who may do things slightly different.

MsBell...I can understand why some people think going with an agency is the best start. I think it is down to fear. Fear of setting up a daycare and not filling the spots. There is this illusion that agency providers are some how more appealing than none agency providers but that is due to lack of knowledge on what being an agency provider actually means vs an independent daycare provider. An agency provider is still an unlicensed provider UpNorth, the agency holds the license not any of their providers. If there are lots of providers in your area, maybe to the parent who hasn't done their research, you will have an edge, until they clue in and realize that being with an agency is a false sense of security. You will still ultimately be competing with your local market based on cost, program and hours amongst other things.

Outgoing
    I would never work for an agency. There are 2 agencies here, and one (wee watch) only has ONE provider left in the city - everyone else has left and gone private. The other agency does better, and is more professional, but their providers are constantly advertising spaces - they can't fill them. The reason is that the agencies charge parents considerably more than private providers charge, but the providers themselves get paid less, because of the agency's cut. Some parents NEED an agency, because they need a childcare subsidy, but most don't want to pay more than they need to. Not to say it's not worth it, but as a parent as well as a provider, I would want my money to go to the person actually taking care of my children. Some agencies claim to offer equipment and craft materials, but I've spoken to the heads of both agencies, as well as providers with both agencies here, and there's no way that would be enough of an incentive. Highchairs, playpens, and toys I find good deals on second-hand (and had tons from my own kids) and the only big-ticket purchase I have made in the last couple of years is my quad stroller, and both agencies confessed they don't have any; the most you might get is an old double stroller.

Basically, if you run a legitimate, above-board business, and are open and transparent with your clients, have a well-written, professional contract that you enforce and take seriously, and basically are doing more than "just babysitting," then I don't see any advantage to going with an agency. I have had zero problems filling up on my own, and in fact get enquiries constantly from parents.

A disclaimer, though - the main agency here is a for-profit model, so perhaps a non-profit would treat their providers better. It couldn't hurt to have a meeting and ask questions, but take their sales pitch with a grain of salt - how much do they pay you vs. how much do they charge the parents per day? What about sick days and vacation days? If they claim they offer you equipment, what kind? What about extended hours or premium hours - a lot of subsidized clients need care out of regular hours for shift work coverage. Would you be willing to do that, and if so, would you get paid extra for it? Have a look at local daycare ads in your area and find out what people are charging and what they are offering. If the agency doesn't offer you enough to make it worth it, you'd probably be better off going at it privately. Just my 2 cents.