Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Paid Days Off

Euphoric !
    I get my 14 personal day and stat and public holiday, all paid. My contract says this :

Days and Hours of Operation
    The daycare will be available Monday to Thursday from 8:00a.m. To 5:00p.m. with the exception of the days listed below which are also detailed within the contract. Variation to these times, if agreed to, will be stated in the individual contact. Late collection of children will incur an additional fee of $1.00 per minute per child. Late fees are due on collection of your child, in cash.
    I understand these are steep but the objective is to deter habitual late collection.
    Please notify me by your usual arrival time if your child will not be arriving for one of their contracted days so that we are not waiting before commencing the day’s activities.
    The daycare will be closed on the following holidays: New Years Day, Heritage Day, Good Friday, Easter Monday, Victoria Day, Canada Day, Natal Day, Labour Day, Thanksgiving Day, Remembrance Day, Christmas Day, and Boxing Day. We also close at noon on Christmas Eve. Should any of these days fall on a weekend, the Provider reserves the right to close the day care on the next business day. These are paid holidays.
    So this add up to 12 and half day paid. Then have too...

Fees and Payment Procedures
    Please note that the daily rate is paid regardless of the attendance of the child. This rate reserves the child’s space within the day care. You are paying for the space that your child is occupying not the number of days which they actually attend. No refunds or reduction in fee are given for late arrival/early departures, extended vacations or any reason your child did not attend on their registered day(s).
    So this cover payment for if child not in on their day. And final...

Day Care Provider’s Own Sickness and Vacation and Unavailability
    The Daycare provider is entitled to fourteen paid personal days per calendar year. Vacation accrues monthly from January to December with entitlement calculating as number of days/12 months, each month. No payment is required from the parents for vacation periods which exceed the contracted 14 day period. Should you leave the day care at a time when provider leave has been accrued but not yet taken during that calendar year, then payment will be required for the accrued days. No credit is given if you leave the day care and more vacation has been taken than accrued at the time you depart.
    14 paid personal days

Euphoric !
    Wow! Some lucky providers out there. My area would not support this unfortunately

Quote Originally Posted by mickyc View Post
    Wow! Some lucky providers out there. My area would not support this unfortunately
    I hear ya. Not here either...NO WAY!

Outgoing
    one of my current families interviewed another daycare (because they wanted two spaces, and I only had the one available for them at the time). This other daycare had 4 paid sick days each month, and will roll them over to next month if she doesn't use them all. And she doesn't seem to have a problem filling her spots, even though her fees are the highest I've seen lately.
    I never would have believed it was true, but it works for her.

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by superfun View Post
    one of my current families interviewed another daycare (because they wanted two spaces, and I only had the one available for them at the time). This other daycare had 4 paid sick days each month, and will roll them over to next month if she doesn't use them all. And she doesn't seem to have a problem filling her spots, even though her fees are the highest I've seen lately.
    I never would have believed it was true, but it works for her.
    Wow, that surprises me!! 4 is a lot!! My husband gets 2 and I thought that was quite good lol.

I'm in the same city as superfun and mickyc. It's not common to have paid sick days or vacation days. I can't honestly say what I would do if it was though. I don't feel as business owners that it's common in many jobs and I don't know if I think it's even fair to ask. It would be great for sure and it's definitely something I miss from working out of the home....I just don't know if I could ask parents for this.

I do think it's great for those who can find Parents willing to agree to it tho!

Euphoric !
    Hmmmm superfun. Interesting! That's a lot of sick time as a parent I would never take my child to a provider who could potentially take 4 sick days monthly as notice for sick time would be short. At least if it was paid holiday time there would be plenty of notice. So by December she could potentially have over 40 paid sick days accumulated?!?! Maybe they misunderstood?

I will say that a common occurrence when getting calls from parents is that their provider is not reliable. I am too reliable lol.

I just signed on a family for sept and not anticipating any spots opening up for some time but something I might add into my contract eventually for future families is a few paid holiday days. We'll see how it goes lol! I just wish I quit seeing the $25 a day providers or only pay for the day your child is here providers!
    Last edited by mickyc; 03-19-2015 at 01:10 PM.

Expansive...
    Hmmmm superfun. Interesting! That's a lot of sick time as a parent I would never take my child to a provider who could potentially take 4 sick days monthly as notice for sick time would be short. At least if it was paid holiday time there would be plenty of notice. So by December she could potentially have over 40 paid sick days accumulated?!?! Maybe they misunderstood?

I will say that a common occurrence when getting calls from parents is that their provider is not reliable. I am too reliable lol.

I just signed on a family for sept and not anticipating any spots opening up for some time but something I might add into my contract eventually for future families is a few paid holiday days. We'll see how it goes lol! I just wish I quit seeing the $25 a day providers or only pay for the day your child is here providers!
    I have seen several daycares on kijiji advertising $20 per day, all snacks and lunch included! Don't know how they make any money at the end of the day!?

Euphoric !
    Mine would not when I began either. But gradually, I change contracts and gradually, the market change too.

When I start, long time ago, I just charge for day children show up.
    Then I change to parent pay for days child registered but not if I unavailable.
    Then, I add in 5 personal days paid. No objections and so other local provider start to do it too. Then it become industry normal in this area.
    Then I add in public holiday as well as stat, all paid. And no one object to that either. So that become industry standard. Gradually, I increase personal days.

But remember, had years and years doing it without day's off like some newer providers are facing now. I am over 20 years running my day home and it was over 10 year before I had any paid extra.

You not know what local area will support until you try.

If you have good name and good rep, there are always some people who want come to you as long as you not crazy prices. Keep fees in the low to mid range and then with good rep, better position to gradually introduce paid days off.

Outgoing

No, I checked with a mutual friend that knows the provider. I don't think she rolls them over much, from the sounds of it she closes often. Last week she was only open 1 day.

Euphoric !
    Wow! And she keeps clients??

I just find so many parents that I talk to in our area upset because their home daycare is always closing and unreliable. She must have a high turnover I imagine!

I have slowly increased my rate since I started. Will work towards a few paid days off in the next few years! Lol

11. The Following User Says Thank You to mickyc For This Useful Post: