Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Paid Days Off

Outgoing
    I don't know about her turnover. I would be frustrated if I was a parent. I know the family that's leaving is about to have their 3rd kid, and can't afford to have all three in her daycare.

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by mickyc View Post
    Wow! And she keeps clients??

I just find so many parents that I talk to in our area upset because their home daycare is always closing and unreliable. She must have a high turnover I imagine!

I have slowly increased my rate since I started. Will work towards a few paid days off in the next few years! Lol
    I wonder what her turnover rate is like too!!

I don't find too many complain about unreliability (but there are definitely some!) but that more complain about how so many are unclean, unorganized, unsafe and no structure. It drives me crazy that so many low quality daycares are opening and running in our city!! As much as I love being private, I think it's too easy for some to open and fly under the radar with terrible methods and habits. I find a lot of parents are asking about the rules so I think that's a good sign that parents are finally doing their research!

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by mickyc View Post
    I have slowly increased my rate since I started. Will work towards a few paid days off in the next few years! Lol
    It take a little time but worth it (or is to me). I am really reliable. I think I been off sick maybe 3 times in 20 year and was tummy upset so only closed so babies not get sick too.

But I think parent willing to pay for some day off, if they know from the beginning how many, if they get lot of notice and if you open door every morning, on time, with smile, and not mess parents around.

Mine all know from day they sign contract that stat and public are closed. Them all set days and so have all the notice that I am closed. I always take first full week in August, with Labour Day so they know every year to plan for that. I pick that one too because it also school holiday so can arrange camps if need be.

Then I use days for appointment or long weekend. But I book appointment at least month in advance so lot of notice and if I know a long weekend really cause issue on date planned for someone, then I can switch date. Not big deal.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Suzie_Homemaker For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzie_Homemaker View Post
    It take a little time but worth it (or is to me). I am really reliable. I think I been off sick maybe 3 times in 20 year and was tummy upset so only closed so babies not get sick too.

But I think parent willing to pay for some day off, if they know from the beginning how many, if they get lot of notice and if you open door every morning, on time, with smile, and not mess parents around.
    I think you are spot on, suzie. The reliability factor is very important. I too, haven't taken many days, I was sick once for 2 days and closed a couple of years ago in Jan. when the furnace broke. I tell this to parents when I inverview, that I have a provision in my contract that I might close for a good reason but I've only done it twice in nearly 10 years. Rules about time off are different here, and we aren't required to write the closures in our contracts, but I do. We have to close on 8 stats and we also have 17 mandatory vacation closures every year. I put them all in the contract so they have the dates for my two week holiday in the summer a year in advance. That doesn't mean they pay attention, and still ask throughout the year, "when are your holidays?" But at least I know they've had their notice.

Outgoing
    Think i have been unfair to myself...if a stat holiday falls during your vacation...do you still charge for it.?

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by sandylynn View Post
    Think i have been unfair to myself...if a stat holiday falls during your vacation...do you still charge for it.?
    Yes.

I tend take week when there is stat on Monday. So then I book Tuesday to Friday as vacation. If you book it clearly, then it's a non-issue. If for instance stat was on Wednesday, then I would book Monday and Tuesday as leave, have Wednesday as stat and then book Thursday and Friday as leave. One stat = paid. 4 personal days = paid.

Bear in mind too, I never "close early" or expect parent to pick up mid-afternoon with no refund like some do. As I have personal days, I use respectfully so if I had a 3pm appointment, I would book half day and that come off my entitled personal days. I think it would get old fast if carer in habit of closing early when needed plus also took leave.

Outgoing
    The stat holiday falls right in the middle of my 2 weeks...i also booked the friday before my 2 weeks start... maybe i shd b paid for the single friday instead of the stat holiday

Euphoric !
    Just charge for the stat even if it falls in the middle of your 2 weeks. A stat is a stat and you shouldn't switch the days

Outgoing
    I will need to give a note to the parents...as i havent charged for this stat that has ALWAYS fallen in the middle of my vacation... so it stands right now...the week before i start holidays... they owe for 4 days (as i am taking fri off)....so how would i word note to include stat holiday

Euphoric !
    Just give them their total they need to pay - 4 days plus one stat day - list days etc so they are clear what you are charging them for