Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Paid Days Off

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by sandylynn View Post
    Has anyone ever had a parent say "well you know...you have to work the day before and the day after to be paid for a stat holiday!" ps I don't get paid for vacation
    When I worked at a big group daycare it was only part-time staff that were required to work the Friday before a stat holiday to get paid and it was the accountant that use to remind us that it was a requirement , for us running our own daycare at home it is different situation and we can get paid for it, the Parents are clients not our bosses

Outgoing
    Just a little vent...as I anticipated...I booked 2 weeks holidays...a stat falls in the middle of my holidays...(Victoria day)....I booked the Friday before my holidays start in lieu of the stat holiday...so when I told one of the parents a full weeks pay will be due before my holidays (5 days ..not 4)....she flat out said..."ahh....no... .I shouldn't have to pay a stat holiday when you are on holidays"!!!! She pulled the "everyone else has to work the day before and the day after to get paid for a stat holiday"!!!!This was nooooo surprise ...I completely expected this from this parent....I'm not sure which will be more fun....the cruise or the look on her face when I hand her an envelope on THURSDAY at 5:15!

Euphoric !
    Oh my!! I quite often pair days off with stat holidays and I'm always clear when I explain they are being charged for the stat day but not the other days. No one has ever questioned this! I'm not sure how I'd respond but likely similar to you....they can either pay it or they're free to give notice!

Have fun and enjoy your cruise! Let us know how it goes with the mom!!

Outgoing
    Thank you...I will let you know!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to sandylynn For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    I had this happen to me on my first year. I booked holidays around the July 1st holiday, expecting to be paid. Of course not one parent did. I was such a newbie and I never bothered mentioning it. The next year, I took the same week holidays. I sent a notice home with all parents stating "July 1st (paid stat hoiday) July 2-5th (unpaid vacation days)" that was I was breaking it down for them to clearly see that my stat was paid.

Expansive...
    I have a clause in my contract that states that stat holidays are to be paid during the provider's vacation time. Never had an issue with them questioning it.

That's crazy sandylynn. I'd think I'd remind her that.....You are not my boss. This is my business and you are my client. Working the day before and after does not apply in my business. I require the stat day paid. If you are still having issues with paying me what I require then perhaps another daycare will be a better fit for your needs, let me know what you would like to do. Thank you.
    I'd say that or email/text her that. Hahaha.

Outgoing
    Well...like Suzie_Homemaker said...."if she would like the Labour Standard rules to apply..." I am sure she won't mind paying me the minimum hourly rate...hmmm. let's see....that's $11.00 an hour I think...oh and yes pay her contribution of the CPP I have to pay on what she pays me....I'll remind her of these things LOL....let the woman who likes the word 'FREE"....get a very big RUDE AWAKENING

Outgoing
    Oh that would be so fun! I'm not sure I could pull it off, because I'm not great at confrontation. But I would love to say "Oh, you thought the Labour board standards applied to home daycares? So that must mean you want to start paying me minimum wage each hour! "

Expansive...
    That is so funny

so it shows us that having it in our contract helps us when someone questions us on it like Busy ECE says

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast